Cambridge Audio gear unreliable/unsupported?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have purchased three Cambridge Audio products over the past eight months - two have failed after very light use. I purchased 840Av2 amp, 350C CD player, and DacMagic 100 from authorized online dealers. Both the amp and the CD player failed - cd display died and power is intermittent - left channel on amp has no signal on both speaker A and B. I attempted to get help from Cambridge Audio's support but was given no help by Ed Selley, he did not bother to reply to my last three inquiries. I spent a great deal of time trying to get a local repair done - with no luck. Probably end up tossing the defective gear.

Is this typical of Cambridge Audio? I was under the impression that they made good gear and were a reputable company. Unfortunately, my experience with them is of defective gear and non-existent customer service. I suppose one lesson is to buy gear like this from a local shop. Just got new speaker cables and can't even try them - v frustrating. Sounded great with Epos Epic 5's before the amp failed.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
They are reputable but your contract is not with them, it's with the shop you bought them from, that should be your first point of contact if you're having issues, not the manufacturer. What response did you get from them?

D

Deleted member 2457

E30M3 said:
I have purchased three Cambridge Audio products over the past eight months - two have failed after very light use. I purchased 840Av2 amp, 350C CD player, and DacMagic 100 from authorized online dealers. Both the amp and the CD player failed - cd display died and power is intermittent - left channel on amp has no signal on both speaker A and B. I attempted to get help from Cambridge Audio's support but was given no help by Ed Selley, he did not bother to reply to my last three inquiries. I spent a great deal of time trying to get a local repair done - with no luck. Probably end up tossing the defective gear.

Is this typical of Cambridge Audio? I was under the impression that they made good gear and were a reputable company. Unfortunately, my experience with them is of defective gear and non-existent customer service. I suppose one lesson is to buy gear like this from a local shop. Just got new speaker cables and can't even try them - v frustrating. Sounded great with Epos Epic 5's before the amp failed.

I have seen they are selling quite a few refurbished bits on eBay.
smiley-smile.gif

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Ive had a few pieces of CA kit. The only piece of kit i had issues with was the CA 650bd. It wouldn't load certian blu rays and it went back to CA via RS, CA supposedly couldn't find any issues with the unit. Yet when i got it back i had the same problem.

So what did i do.... I went out and upgraded to the 751, lol

A

Anonymous

The seller pointed me to the Cambridge authorized repair group in another state - they pointed me to a local repair shop. The local repair shop required several visits and did not fix the problem. Not worth the time.

A

Anonymous

I am fairly new to high end audio - but I seem to be falling into an endless upgrade state of mind. The moment I do an upgrade and get some good sound, I seem to immediatley find a new way to spend $$ and improve the sound.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
E30M3 said:
I am fairly new to high end audio - but I seem to be falling into an endless upgrade state of mind. The moment I do an upgrade and get some good sound, I seem to immediatley find a new way to spend $$ and improve the sound.

Do it the other way; Start at the very top and work your way down. It gets cheaper.

I once had an 840A at home and the display failed after an hour ...

regards

A

Anonymous

Same goes for cameras, lenses, and tripods ... have a closet full of unused gear.

CambridgeAudioCare

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello E30M3, sorry to hear about the problems that you have been having.

When I receive any inquiry about a product issue that occurs outside the UK (and to a greater extent, in the UK as well), I will be entirely dependent on our distributor in that country to assist in solving the problem. As I am based in the UK it is neither possible or practical to intervene directly in matters abroad.

I am sorry in this instance that you have not been able to resolve the problem you have had with your unit. Your first port of call would be with the retailer and our distributor as they have a better knowledge of the area and are better placed to assist a customer in the USA. I will additionally raise the issue of the unsuccessful repairs with the distributor and see if they can suggest an alternative.

Regards

Ed Selley

Cambridge Audio

A

Anonymous

I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my post. I would be truly grateful if the US distributor could resolve these issues. I can be reached at craisin1@yahoo.com.

With respect to my inquiries on your support site, it is incredibly frustrating to receive no reply to multiple inquiries and then to see the inquiry status changed to closed when nothing was fixed. It would probably be a good policy to always reply in some form to a customer inquiry - even if just to acknowledge the inquiry.

I can't put into words how unhappy I am to have the amp fail just a couple months after the cd player failed. Unacceptable.

A

Anonymous

Thanks - will take a look at Music Hall. It appears that I am in the market for an amp and a cd player.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about your problems. For what its worth I have been running the dac magic everyday for the past 4 years without hiccup, my previous amp, the 340a gave me 2 year of great service before I upgraded. I know many forumers who have enjoyed CA gear without hiccup. I hope the problems you are facing are not the general case and that CA sorts out any such problems in their lines if they exist at all.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Once I was searching for integrated amp I asked in this forum if I should buy the ROKSAN KANDY K2 or the CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840A

some advised me that CA products are very good but might be unreliable that was one of the reasons why I decided eventually

to choose the K2 , but I must admit that I have the Cambridge Audio TOPAZ CD5 this entry level CD is a very good quality

product and I didn't have any problem with it since I bought it about half a year ago .

A

Anonymous

Desipte making well reviewed kit at a good price ... I too have found their kit to be unreliable. (My 640 amp lost sound in one channel and developed a hum, a DAB radio I once had from them failed completely after a while).

Maybe its just the way things are these days. But when I look at my fathers kit, that is still working perfectly and was bought in the mid 70s, I can't help but feel a bit cheated :(

Omegaman81

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
As I previously owned the Azur 640C CD player and upgraded to the Azur 650C, I thought I'd make fellow consumers and audiophiles aware of some serious problems regarding the Cambridge Audio company. While the actual sound quality of previous CD player models -- bass response, spatial separation, imaging, etc. -- is of considerably high quality, it is not worth the risk (or the price) to take a chance on these products failing with nothing short of dismal customer support upon that happening. The light which illuminates the liquid crystal display on my Azur 650C CD player -- the model preceding the 651 -- flickered and went out altogether, rendering the display completely black and unreadable; the unit and the remote still worked. When I tried to contact Cambridge Audio, they were very slow to respond and even then only directed me to their U.S. distributor, a company called Audio Plus Services in upstate New York. The individual at Cambridge Audio did indicate that there were a number of other components with the same problem, indicating manufacturing fault and/or mechanical failure. Audio Plus Services were contacted on three separate occasions with no reply; even a phone call to their receptionist resulted only in the option to leave voicemail. Eventually someone did contact me, indicating that if the unit in question was beyond the two-year warranty period, repair would have to be paid for, despite the obvious mechanical fault of multiple components with the same problem. Another SERIES OF ATTEMPTS to reach Cambridge Audio rendered no response. Only after sadly and dishearteningly having to threaten legal action was a response received. (The entire process described thus far took place over an absurdly long two-week period.) THIS is the quality of customer service when purchasing a so-called high-end audio product from Cambridge Audio. The eventual response from Cambridge Audio -- who apparently were wholly and completely unconcerned with both their own deplorable customer service as well as that of their U.S. distributor, Audio Plus Services -- was simply to say 'a small number of reported instances of an issue in a production run... does not constitute a failure in design or acknowledged production fault.' If that's what Cambridge Audio actually believes -- despite failure happening in multiple units through no fault of their purchasers -- then clearly they are manufacturing a product or products (at high-end prices to consumers no less) that they DON'T EXPECT TO WORK CORRECTLY FOR ANY LONGER THAN THREE OR FOUR YEARS. The corresponding consumer might reasonably expect a considerably longer period of trouble-free use considering the price(s) paid. A cursory review of the internet via any given search engine will reveal postings by other customers concerning product failure with Cambridge Audio amplifiers as well -- another illustration of lack of quality control -- and the same horrendous absence of consideration for their customers. While no one expects a 'lifetime' warranty, one would expect a company to 'make good' on defective products, if only to do the right thing and maintain good business principles. They may say they're 'sorry' at Cambridge Audio, but they don't address the problem(s). Obviously there are serious quality control issues as well as questionable business principles with Cambridge Audio. Regardless of how many units may have failed, Cambridge Audio has failed in customer service, consideration for their customers, and succeeded with only atrocious business policies. Buyer beware.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Omegaman81 said:
As I previously owned the Azur 640C CD player .... blah blah blah

is there any reason you've newly registered to bring up years old threads just to slag off cambridge audio? Fair enough you may be pee'd, but maybe start your own thread and not drag up multiple old ones to say the same thing.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
You admit it was out of warranty but still expect it to be fixed for free? Thats not how warranties work. Also I'm afraid its a sad fact that sometimes things break, a proportion of ALL products break down from ALL manufacturers.

Also, I am not sure Cambridge Audio qualifies as "high end" :shame:

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I think my cambridge audio 840A v2 and epos es14 would give your supernait and LS50 a run for their money.

Cambridge stuff can sound very good

Amp is a very reliable 6 years old.

tonky

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
My old 650cd player failed after four years. Bought new 651c. The first two had faulty loading mechs, changed in shop, the third one has a slight loading problem but I am living with it. If I paid full price for it I would not be happy at all. Half price tho, so I'm thinking good value. It could have been early batches tho as it was bought just when the product was released.

All the amps I have encountered have been impressive tho.

peter312

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
In my experience, buying an extended warranty pretty much guarantees nothing will go wrong with the item covered, leaving me to wonder should I have bought the warranty in the first place.

(Not commenting on Cambridge Audio products).

SeptimusFry

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
So I would like to redress the balance...

I have both the Minx GO (original version) and the Minx Air 100. They have both behaved impeccably out of the box. The sound is superb for their size.

The Minx GO is 'only' Bluetooth and has a one-room sort of sound. The Air 100 is BT and WiFi. It is big sound and I am listening to it playing one floor below right now. The Minx GO is battery-powered and the fully-charged battery lasts longer than I have ever had the occasion to play it, apparently 18 hrs. We use it in our caravan and it is handy when hook-up is not available (we don't have a genny).

The Air 100 is sold as compatible with Apple i-products, but I am a PC person and so I purchased Airfoil from Amoeba, which cost $30, and it becomes visible in my Windows applications - so transparent that I can hardly remember how it was set up.

I would not suggest I am an expert, but my research before buying put the Air 100 way out in front for WiFi speakers, the principal competitor needing a special piece of kit called a bridge, since their WiFi is a proprietary brand. The CA brand is vanilla WiFi.

TRENDING THREADS