Cambridge Audio 540R v3 any good?

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
Got four stars in the magazine, which I guess is OK. I prefer the look (and size) of it to the Onkyo 505, and it seems just as capable (on paper). Would this receiver sound OK with Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1 speakers? And would this be a better-sounding option than the all-in-one Sony DAV-IS10 I've been considering - it would certainly be more flexible, but would the performance be worth the extra outlay??? All opinions welcome!!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Cambridge Audio Azur 540R is a great receiver - no match for the Onkyo (no support for HD sound via HDMI, for starters), but a strong choice nevertheless, with a distinctive, attacking style. If you like your entertainment 'in your face' it could be ideal.

My slight concern is that the Alumni package is also incredibly lively - veering towards hardness at the top-end when pushed - which could make the combination rather brash, and tiring over time.

I'd strongly suggest you find one of the Richer Sounds stores that does have demo facilities to hear the two in action.

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
Yes, I'll definitely try and hear them first - don't think our 'local' Richer Sounds has much of a demo capability but I can call in and find out. I understand what you're saying about that combination possible being a bit hard work.

The other speakers I like the look of are Audio Pro's Allroom; would they be any better with the 540R?

Alternatively, there's the Onkyo. The problem there is that the 605 is too tall to comfortably fit where it has to go, and the 505 (which isn't too tall) doesn't have support for HD sound - or am I wrong on that point??

Thanks for all your help.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The 505 doesn't have HD support - but then neither does the Cambridge! Group Test of the two plus two other @£250 receivers in our new issue, out Thursday, FYI....

Re speakers - if you're thinking small speaker packages @£600-£700, you could try Acoustic Energy's Aego T - more of an all-rounder at this price. If you don't mind a more traditional look, the Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package is awesome value at £500, and would deliver more sound for your pounds....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts