Cambridge 851n - Compatible power amps

GravyTrain

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
I am considering purchasing the 851n - I note it has a built-in pre-amp section. Other than Cambridge ones, does anybody know of other brand power amps which might suit the 851n? Thank you.

GravyTrain said:
I am considering purchasing the 851n - I note it has a built-in pre-amp section. Other than Cambridge ones, does anybody know of other brand power amps which might suit the 851n? Thank you.

Just about any I should think. What is your budget and what speakers do you propose to drive?

GravyTrain

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
I'd be looking at £1,500 maximum - the system would be part of a complete upgrade to my current system, which is:

Cambridge 650a integrated amp.

Yamaha HD-CD1300.

Monitor Audio BR5 speakers.

Thank you.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Primate A34.2 is where I'd start even though it's a bit over your price. I think it would even look pretty good with the 851n as they're styled similarly.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
splasher said:
Primate A34.2 is where I'd start even though it's a bit over your price. I think it would even look pretty good with the 851n as they're styled similarly.

That's Primare...... and as splasher says a bit over budget. I'd look at something like a second hand Roksan Caspian M2.

Have never heard monkey amps then?

splasher said:

That's Primare...... and as splasher says a bit over budget. I'd look at something like a second hand Roksan Caspian M2 or the Exposure 3010S2 new.

Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
splasher said:

That's Primare...... and as splasher says a bit over budget. I'd look at something like a second hand Roksan Caspian M2.

Have never heard monkey amps then?

I've heard of monkey nuts :) and seen well known typos.

rainsoothe

Al ears said:
splasher said:

That's Primare...... and as splasher says a bit over budget. I'd look at something like a second hand Roksan Caspian M2 or the Exposure 3010S2 new.

+1 to this. Also check Arcam and, if it fits your budget, Naim NAP 155XS.

GravyTrain

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all for the suggestions, it's not that I don't like the Cambridge - just looking for a variety of options really. :)

I would certainly be interested in Naim; however, I have read (on the Naim forums) that their power amps don't like being partnered with non-Naim pre-amps?

GravyTrain said:
Thank you all for the suggestions, it's not that I don't like the Cambridge - just looking for a variety of options really. :)

I would certainly be interested in Naim; however, I have read (on the Naim forums) that their power amps don't like being partnered with non-Naim pre-amps?

Not sure that is true, unless you're a Naim fanboy, but I personally wouldn't shell out for a Naim power amp over any of the others I have mentioned without putting it in a Naim system.

I am not sure of the quality of the built-in Cambridge preamp section, it may be good just haven't heard it. Have you ever thought of an integrated amp to increase your connection possibilities? Maybe you don't intend attaching anything else that's not digital.

Unless you intend upgrading your speakers you don't really need a massively powerful power amp to drive those efficient BR5's.

rainsoothe

GravyTrain said:

It's not that they don't "like" it, but of course they bennefit from having a Naim preamp (if you're into the Naim sound), since their preamps are built to match their power amp counterparts, sonically speaking. I think, whatever you do, you shouldn't buy blind or without having the option of returning stuff. So try to audition, and if it works for you, then go for it - there's no harm in trying. If your room is smaller then 20 square meters, then a Nap100 is enough. But of course a Nap155XS will sound beefier. And, on the upside, if you get a Nap155XS, you can upgrade the CA later to a NAC172XS - I heard the combo with Revel Performa 3 floorstanders and it was superb. Mind you, though, that if you wanna test any other Naim power amp then the Nap100, the dealer will require an RCA to DIN4 cable, since the upper power amps only have DIN input.

GravyTrain

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all for the guide - I would definitely demo given the money I want to spend. Re integrated amps: indeed, another option to consider. Rega, Arcam, Naim and Roksan are all on my list. :)

rainsoothe

GravyTrain said:
Thank you all for the guide - I would definitely demo given the money I want to spend. Re integrated amps: indeed, another option to consider. Rega, Arcam, Naim and Roksan are all on my list. :)

waitwaitwa-wa-wa-wa-wait. I thought you already had the CA. What's your total budget, roomsize and music type?

GravyTrain

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Nah, it's a considered purchase - I have a CA amp currently but am looking at a long-term upgrade of everything. Therefore will be changing things item by item.

I'm looking at £1,500 per item approximately. Room size is approximately 10' × 8' and I like a broad range of musical styles from House to rock and classical so I require an all-round set up.

I enjoy the lively presentation of the CA amp I currently have but am also looking for a system which can convey subtlety as required. Not asking for much eh? ;-)

rainsoothe

Actually, with that budget you can easily go NAC 172XS + NAP155XS + ATC SCM11 or 19 or Revel Performa 3 M106 (maybe dealer will make an offer for full package). Anyways, enjoy your auditions, and let us know what you end up with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts