Camb Audio Azur 540A V2 versus Rega Brio 3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Any opinions on which amp would be best? Front room 4 x 5m, no carpet. CD - NAD C515BEE, speakers - floor standing AE Aegis 2, Camb Audio DAB tuner. Cheers!

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
I vote for the Rega.
To me Cambridge Audio (amps and Cd player) always came across as a bit bright and analytical, even 'cold'.
The Rega is more more fluid, 'musical' if you like, it adds some drive to the material (and PRaT, as some will argue) though lacks the soundstage of the Cambridge I guess.

Why did you choose between these two amps?
There are other contenders from brands like NAD, Rotel and Marantz.

A

Anonymous

Well, they're both locally available (Bristol). The Brio was recommended in-store and the Azur gets good reviews. Beyond that I'm in the dark!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have heard the Brio 3 with my set-up (see below) and it really boogies! Very nice and (in the opinion of many) bests the more expensive Rega Mira sibling in terms of sheer gusto and musicality.

I opted for an Arcam Solo-Mini because I needed a CD/FM Tuner/Amp combi and simply did not have room to lay out three Rega boxes (Brio 3/Rega Radio3/Apollo). Otherwise I would have jumped at the Brio. I may do yet when room and funds allow.

I used to have a Rega Luna amplifier years ago and that was a very sweet sounding amp too.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, looks like I'm moving towards the Rega, pity it's £130 more! As long as it's better than the Denon Pma 500 I'll pay up. The Denon is truly rubbish.

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
tounra:I vote for the Rega.
To me Cambridge Audio (amps and Cd player) always came across as a bit bright and analytical, even 'cold'.
The Rega is more more fluid, 'musical' if you like, it adds some drive to the material (and PRaT, as some will argue) though lacks the soundstage of the Cambridge I guess.

Why did you choose between these two amps?
There are other contenders from brands like NAD, Rotel and Marantz.

I just read the reviews of both amps on this site...ahum...a complete contradiction to what I perceived with these amps.
Listen for yourself I guess, don't trust other peoples opinions, mine could be completely wrong for that matter.
:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts