Calling Sky Q experts

Gray

A while back I connected a Freesat box to an unused output on an ex-neighbour's 4-way LNB.

This week he phoned to say he's had Sky Q fitted and the Freesat box was left disconnected as part of the installation.

From the photo of the LNB that he sent me, it looks as if a new LNB with only 2 outputs has been fitted, I presume because that's all they need for Sky Q now as any multiroom(s) no longer need their own LNB feeds.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone for confirmation that Sky Q LNBs are no longer compatible with original Sky (or Freesat) boxes, as I suspect and that they are all only 2 output now. He reckons they've fitted a new dish. Is that also necessary and not just an LNB swap?

From what he's told me, they just disconnected his Freesat box (leaving the F-connector to corrode) without even mentioning it - no doubt that will be in their small print somewhere but I wonder if anyone's had experience of this.

daveh75

Sky Q and legacy sat systems (Sky HD & current Freesat boxes etc) are incompatible with one and other, because Sky Q uses Full Band Capture technology.

However, Sky will on request supply a Hybrid LNB (with 6 ports) that can support both systems.

If I was your neighbour I would be on the phone to Sky explaining the installer just disconnected the FS box feed and left it dangling without even mentioning it and demand they come back and put right their shoddy workmanship and fit an Hybrid LNB.

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
My understanding is that I will need a new LNB if i upgraded to Sky Q. My dish is almost inaccessible due to the height of the property and Sky's 'heights' team will not even go up there. The chap that fitted the dish some 15+ years ago is no longer around. So I am having to stick with Sky+ HD for now and thus the reason why I am trying to sort out my Sky+ distribution issues which i bumped in the forum again yesterday.

Gray

If you can see this (due to the ongoing forum problems) thanks for the advice on Sky Q.

The first thing I told him was to contact Sky. (They're lucky it's not you or me phoning them about their scandalous installation practice)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts