Calling Clare or Andrew... Cabling calamity concerns

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Once again I find my cables in a twist (metaphorically). From carte blanche, I am calling all who may have suggestions to solve my cabling problem: I wish to fix bright, bass-less, unmusical, cacophonous sound. Excluding cables, my system is detailed below. Please, any recommendations regarding a new set of cables would be most welcome. I know that the final choice should be based upon my taste, but I need pointing in the right direction. The system is mostly used for rock (never "hard" rock), lots of jazz and jazz vocals, classical, opera, and 80s and 90s music. Thanks! zimble01

A

Anonymous

Given that I think I'm in a similar position to you, I would suggest that you're going to have difficulty solving the problems with cable. If you can, change your speakers. By the time you've sold the speakers and added the cash you'd spend on cable, you've got some new speakers! Try B&W, EPOS, etc. Failing that and cable really is the only option, demo some VDH interconnects. For all round musicality and balance I'm an advocate of Chord Odyssey speaker cable as it has loads of bass and is superb. I also found the Chord Chameleon Silver Plus interconnect to be superb for the cash, but it's not going to help brightness!

Finally, what stands do you have? Good stands, firmly placed and mass loaded will increase the bass quality and quantity. This in turn will make the brain think that the sound is less bright because of the extra depth. It might help you a bit.

Ooh, one more thing. You could try the Beresford DAC as I think this will make the sound richer and warmer than what you have (allegedly).

Good luck.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
All good advice above. Also assuming your kit is properly racked (rather than stacked) and the speakers on solid stands and that you've experimented with positoning of them (nearer to walls/further away/toed in or not, etc)?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the detailed replies!

Hmmph. Clare, I'm ashamed to say it, but yes, the equipment is not on a rack. It stands on a bookshelf (which is not sturdy, I must add). The speakers are on the best stands I could find in the city (Cape Town, South Africa) -- the good brands aren't imported here. They have 35mm solid granite bases and two 40mm sand-filled steel tubes (per stand) VERY sturdily attached to base and steel top-plate. The bases stand on spikes. The reason for not having an equipment rack is purely aesthetic, and a place to store many books is also necessary. With positioning I have experimented, although within the constraints set by the room's furnishings. No true difference is noticeable.

Igglebert, thank you for your very detailed reply. I already have a VDH interconnect (D102 MKII), and it is great, although I think the speaker cable partnering is far from ideal..

So perhaps I should concentrate rather on locating a decent rack first, and then worry about cables?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="zimble01"]Once again I find my cables in a twist (metaphorically).

From carte blanche, I am calling all who may have suggestions to solve my cabling problem: I wish to fix bright, bass-less, unmusical, cacophonous sound.[/quote]

Oasis are beyond help I'm afraid.

Seriously though, I think you need to try different speakers.