521 strand or Linn K20 . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Something to get the head around??? I'm at home today, the idea is to do the final transformation of the study into a music room/study. But before I do this final installation I decided I wanted it to be 'final' no messing about with cables in the future, 'mounting climbing' as Hazel put it to get round the back of cabinets etc. I want an easy life, relaxing and enjoying my music with Hazel.

So, having talked to a few people, had a bit of advise on here. I got some top quality gold banana plugs. Sixteen meters of nice new Linn K20 cable, the cable runs are 8m, present runs, 5m. Then I was pointed in the direction of oxygen free, 521 strand speaker cable . . . 'as good as anything affordable on the market' I was told? Things have changed over 20 years, its not expensive so 16m was procured.

I was warned of the problems terminating 521 strand, that was a fair warning, its a pig but not impossible.

The listening session started, Croft CI-P integrated valve/mosfet amp, Apollo CDp, PMC LB1 20 year vintage transmission line speakers. The sound as is with 5, K20 is warm, fairly detailed, generally easy on the ear. My prefered music for this test was a track by Pavarotti and one from Nigel Kennedy.

First thing warm the amp, then try something I had never don, is the K20 directional? always been told the triangle on the Linn logo should point to the speakers . . . Dont believe everything you are told, I have been listening to K20 the wrong way round for nearly 30 years!!!! I had Hazel in on the listening, she is naive as far as hifi, she hears what she hears and says how it is. Her comment, in the right direction, the sound is full and coherent. No of this describing a fine wine rubbish, and she was right!

So we have virgin, 8m lengths of brand new K20 and 521 strand. First the K20, running the time honored way following the triangle pointing to the speakers, a bit thin says Hazel, turn round, that much better, a full rounded, well presented sound, good base extension, detail, the orchestra is well presented, in its sections, especially the cellos and base fiddles.

521 strand, Hazel described it as squeaky . . . ??? turned it round, much better, says Hazel, but I could not follow the cellos and the top end, whilst containing more detail was harsh, not something to listen to all night!

So I went back to the K20 and did an 'A-B' on the 5m v 8m? I had a niggle in the back of my mind, was I imagining things? The 8m runs outperformed the 5m runs, subtle but base (lower frequencies) was much more together, the top end was exquisite with out being strident, Kennedys violin playing was like having a film running in my head, I could visualise every move of the bow, it was all these but more with the new 8m K20 cables.

If I am honest, the 521 strand did have a tad more detail at the top end, but, on my system it was strident, I could see some of the heavy powerful rock music doing well. I found the mid range a little back, compared with the K20, which if anything was slightly forward, but not in the face, the lower end just did not gel at all . . . neither did the image, it was wider but but less defined.

So K20 wins, what I dont understand is the very definite improvement of the 8 meter run over the old 5 meter cable . . . my only explanation, the 5m cable is at least 25 years old, does copper deteriorate over time, have manufacturing techniques improved over that period, or has the specification been upgraded? I have no idea, what I do know is I trust my ears, new K20 cable better than old K20 and both out shining the 521 strand for smooth presentation and more detailed low frequency.

These are only mine and Hazels findings, in our room with our system . . .

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
??? . . . so no one is bothered about saving a few bob, 521 strand or K20 . . . both can be had, 'cheap as chips' . . . no mortgage required . . . :cheer:

. . . and what about directionality, have you tried it on your cable?

CJSF

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It is my belief that Linn K20 is the same as Naim NAC A4. This was a Naim design made for them by BICC, who due to a muddle-up, started supplying others including Linn.

As far as I understand, when Naim took issue with this, an out of court settlement was made in Naim's favour. Naim then introduced the "new and improved" NAC A5, which was then made by another manufacturer.

If you ever fancy something a bit different try some of this stuff:
http://www.telluriumq.com/

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...I use the 521 strand stuff. Must admit with the wrong material I can find my HiFi's sound a bit strident, but I put it down to the speakers. I got the cable same time as the speakers and I've only ever used them with this cable. Certainly a thought-provoking post; maybe I should try different cables too. Typical that I've only just this afternoon gone to the trouble of burying all my cables under the carpet edges lol.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It is my belief that Linn K20 is the same as Naim NAC A4.

You are right Cno. The newer NACA5 was quite different though, far tighter than the Linn cable. Both excellent cables though.

CJSF - As mentioned in another thread, I tend to prefer less strands. In the past, I have thoroughly enjoyed many solid core cables in various systems, it's just a shame you don't see many of them around nowadays.

I find multi-strand cables - those with an excessive amount of tiny, hair-like strands - a little 'tizzy' in the top end, and I don't find treble as smooth and solid as it should be. It's almost like there's a lot of distortion going on in the very upper frequencies. But as always, the best cable for the system is dependent on many things, mainly your own ears :)

T

the record spot

Went with 10m of 322-strand about a year ago. Replaced Audioquest Type IV and it works very well indeed. Both were good, but the difference between the price of both is the eye-opener. £5.50 including delivery for the 322-strand, compared to about the same per metre for the AQ. And that was at its' 1996 price!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
CnoEvil said:
It is my belief that Linn K20 is the same as Naim NAC A4.

You are right Cno. The newer NACA5 was quite different though, far tighter than the Linn cable. Both excellent cables though.

CJSF - As mentioned in another thread, I tend to prefer less strands. In the past, I have thoroughly enjoyed many solid core cables in various systems, it's just a shame you don't see many of them around nowadays.

I find multi-strand cables - those with an excessive amount of tiny, hair-like strands - a little 'tizzy' in the top end, and I don't find treble as smooth and solid as it should be. It's almost like there's a lot of distortion going on in the very upper frequencies. But as always, the best cable for the system is dependent on many things, mainly your own ears :)

Interesting response, FH's description of 'tizzy' sometimes at the top end of the 521 strand is a good one, to me it was always under lying 'harsh'. I think the 521 strand will be liked by those who like crash, bang, wallop, although how they would get on with the bottom end mush I dont know?

As far as solid core cable is concerned, I remember in the mid 80's, I played with single core, 30amp mains cable, very good it was to, I then went to the laborious trouble of striping 'all' the insulation, bear cable! wow . . . but so impractical. So glad I'm an 'ex audiophile' . . . "mad, I've always been mad . . . " I love 'Dark side . . . ', prophetic or what?

No one has picked up on cable directionality . . . In my book, its a major consideration, I can prove it. The problem might be if you dont keep the 2 pieces running in the same direction as you cut them from the reel, turning the cable will have no affect. It is imperative to mark the two free roll ends, thats if there is no direction indicator or writing to give you a clue?

Try it, the differences are 'not' subtle . . . remember Hazels description of 'squeaky'.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It is my belief that Linn K20 is the same as Naim NAC A4. This was a Naim design made for them by BICC, who due to a muddle-up, started supplying others including Linn. As far as I understand, when Naim took issue with this, an out of court settlement was made in Naim's favour. Naim then introduced the "new and improved" NAC A5, which was then made by another manufacturer. If you ever fancy something a bit different try some of this stuff: http://www.telluriumq.com/[/quote]

Mmm . . . having been down the cable route yesterday, took almost all day in a very relaxed way . . . I've spent out on two lots of cable, one lot is for the bin, not before I remove those superb gold banana plugs! I used to enjoy fiddling with 'hifi', these days, I want to listen to music.

The K20 cost £4.90pm x 16m + 8 new top quality gold plugs @ £1.10 each, bargains in my book, compared with the mega bucks I see quoted . . .

However, at £16pm for 'Telluriumq' . . . I'd give it a try, but, only on trial, words and claims are easy, 8x2x£16 . . . is a lot to put in the bin if all it is, is one persons view of what a good sound, in a specific system sounds like . . . ? Such things are always subjective, we audition expensive hifi components, cable can be equally expensive, why cant we audition, in this case, at home in situ?

Sorry, got my cynics hat on this morning . . . CJSF

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CJSF said:
Mmm . . . having been down the cable route yesterday, took almost all day in a very relaxed way . . . I've spent out on two lots of cable, one lot is for the bin, not before I remove those superb gold banana plugs! I used to enjoy fiddling with 'hifi', these days, I want to listen to music.

The K20 cost £4.90pm x 16m + 8 new top quality gold plugs @ £1.10 each, bargains in my book, compared with the mega bucks I see quoted . . .

However, at £16pm for 'Telluriumq' . . . I'd give it a try, but, only on trial, words and claims are easy, 8x2x£16 . . . is a lot to put in the bin if all it is, is one persons view of what a good sound, in a specific system sounds like . . . ? Such things are always subjective, we audition expensive hifi components, cable can be equally expensive, why cant we audition, in this case, at home in situ?

When I make comment, I will never tell people what to buy, I just try to give recommendations based on what I believe will improve their system (in the light of what they're trying to achieve). Where possible, I like to come up with less well known quality products, that people may not have heard about, or thought of trying.

When I first heard Telurium Q, I was very impressed, especially with valve based products. Glowing reviews from HiFi+ and HFW at least gave me the belief that I wasn't too far off the mark.

It was really a suggestion to tuck away for when you get the urge to try something else. As in all things hifi, trials in ones' own home is essential.

Cno

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
CJSF said:

When I make comment, I will never tell people what to buy, I just try to give recommendations based on what I believe will improve their system (in the light of what they're trying to achieve). Where possible, I like to come up with less well known quality products, that people may not have heard about, or thought of trying. When I first heard Telurium Q, I was very impressed, especially with valve based products. Glowing reviews from HiFi+ and HFW at least gave me the belief that I wasn't too far off the mark. It was really a suggestion to tuck away for when you get the urge to try something else. As in all things hifi, trials in ones' own home is essential. Cno

Thats a nice idea ConEvil . . . 'tuck it away for when I get the urge to try something new'. Its a good idea Hazel cant read minds, she might get the wrong end of the stick??? . . . still would want the home dem though. The thought of binning 250 quid is painful . . .

Just finished the music room revamp, listening to the results now, no P5 in the loop yet, the albums are still in the loft, its a bit of a climb, I'm knackered. Plus I have to make a few minor adjustments, my measuring and lack of 'physical problem anticipation' has failed me, nothing I cant put right. I fancy a tweak or three while I'm at it (thats the audiophile in me speaking, down boy!) . . . tomorrow sorted then . . . Sound so far, if anything, its more transparent and natural?? As I say, tweaks in mind, they certainly wont make it worse . . .

CJS

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CJSF said:
Thats a nice idea ConEvil . . . 'tuck it away for when I get the urge to try something new'. Its a good idea Hazel cant read minds, she might get the wrong end of the stick??? . . . still would want the home dem though. The thought of binning 250 quid is painful . . .

CJS

I wouldn't dream of suggesting that. Most good dealers (including mine), have cables for lending out to potential customers.....failing that, Colin Wonfor drops in here from time to time, and if anyone can facilitate you, he can.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
CJSF said:

CJS

I wouldn't dream of suggesting that. Most good dealers (including mine), have cables for lending out to potential customers.....failing that, Colin Wonfor drops in here from time to time, and if anyone can facilitate you, he can.

Well I could try.

But first ask your local dealer or the Tellurium Q Distributors KOG for the UK, Outside the UK are on our web site.

Then hopefully if you can hear and enjoy the difference then you will not waste a penny.

Well it's back to building A Class Amps now at 5.50AM 8)

Best Colin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts