Calling Andy Clough

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi Andy

Please can you help me with DD 5.1 over HDMI from a Tivo box (into Marantz NR1501) With Tivo set to DD I get sound from SD channels but nothing at all from HD channels. DD to PCM works but no 5.1 only 2 ch stereo. :wall:

How have you managed this!

Virgin customer support is clueless.

Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase. :cry:

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Crossie, are you saying you get no sound at all on HD channels when connecting the TiVo to the Marantz via HDMI? BTW, not all HD channels transmit DD 5.1, so sometimes you will get stereo only.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Andy

Yes I understand that DD 5.1 is not always broadcast by HD channels. When set to DD output from the Tivo via HDMI I get sound on the SD channels no sound at all on any of the HD channels.

Thanks

Crossie

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Could be an auto-detect problem between the Tivo and the Marantz. Check the Marantz's audio decoding setting for whichever input you have the Tivo connected to - if it's set to auto try 'source direct' or 'dolby'

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, guess it could be a faulty box. Might be worth trying an optical cable between the box and Marantz, to see whether that delivers, but beyond that, and given the flakiness of the manuals supplied with both products, I'm at a bit of a loss,

All I can tell you is that I have HDMI from my Virgin Tivo to my elderly Onkyo 875 receiver, and it works fine.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Audio works fine for standard audio and DD5.1 via optical but when changiing channels between Sd and HD I get a very loud static like click from the speakers - very annoying and not present when using previous V+ hd box with an optical sound connection. Virgin customer services are just not equipped to answer any technical questions about the sound output from their Tivo box. All they can recommend is using PCM which is only 2 channel - not really acceptable for a flagship product.

Thanks

Richard

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Really does suggest a faulty box to me...

+1 for faulty TiVo.

Whilst the telephone support etc is pretty rubbish, the Virgin van men have been supportive and on the customer's side - if they have any doubt they'll just give you a new box. At least that way you can test it while they are there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts