Calling all 50GT50 owners!!

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
What settings are you using???

i need to get the best picture I can to see if its worth putting up with the screen buzzing with bright and mid bright scenes....

sounds like my old CRT at the moment.....I may go back to LCD if I feel the picture is not worth the buzz......also, it's only a screen buzz, not anything else...

D

Deleted member 2457

Nick_Shepherd said:

i need to get the best picture I can to see if its worth putting up with the screen buzzing with bright and mid bright scenes....

sounds like my old CRT at the moment.....I may go back to LCD if I feel the picture is not worth the buzz......also, it's only a screen buzz, not anything else...

I am using just normal settings and it is as quiet as a mouse. :)

jabirugpa

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
I haven't heard any buzzing from my gt50. If yours is really annoying, maybe you could send it back? When you get it sorted, you'll be thrilled with it. I've had mine eight months and the picture seems better than ever!

D

Deleted member 2457

jabirugpa said:
I haven't heard any buzzing from my gt50. If yours is really annoying, maybe you could send it back? When you get it sorted, you'll be thrilled with it. I've had mine eight months and the picture seems better than ever!

Same. I think we hit the jackpot!

D

Deleted member 2457

Nick_Shepherd said:

Sounds to me you just got a noisy one from what you have been describing. Yep, if you don't like it you could just go for the Sony.

jr1948

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
I went into Sevenoaks yesterday determined to go for a Samsung es7ooo Never had a plasma but after talking to the salesperson i came out with the Panasonic TXP42GT50 So far so good.Iwould also like to know the best settings,at the moment i am using THX CINEMA with most the other picture settings off

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jr1948 said:
I went into Sevenoaks yesterday determined to go for a Samsung es7ooo Never had a plasma but after talking to the salesperson i came out with the Panasonic TXP42GT50 So far so good.Iwould also like to know the best settings,at the moment i am using THX CINEMA with most the other picture settings off

I think initially these are the best settings. Try to turn on pixel orbiter if you can, you'll ever know it's on, but it does help in preventing image retention or screen burn. If you can't do it, it's not the end of the world.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jr1948 said:

Change of plan. I would use just CINEMA, then the pixel orbiter is on. The THX modes obviously restrict the things you can change in the settings.

I'm sticking with CINEMA for now, then will go to THX CINEMA when the tv has been run in properly.

jr1948

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
BBB Thank you for the advise which i have taken.How long does it take to run in.Ifind the picture good in daylight but not so good in the evening under low light do you find this

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jr1948 said:
BBB Thank you for the advise which i have taken.How long does it take to run in.Ifind the picture good in daylight but not so good in the evening under low light do you find this

Haven't watched it in daylight yet, so can't compare, but my old Kuro was much better under low light, so I would expect the GT to be better at night, plasmas usually are.

I think I read 200 hours to run in, though I'm not 100% sure, someone will say if I'm wrong.

It is frustrating not being able to watch the tv at it's best at first, and not everyone does it, but it does give you some peace of mind, and the last thing you want to do is damage the screen.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jr1948 said:

Haven't watched it in daylight yet, so can't compare, but my old Kuro was much better under low light, so I would expect the GT to be better at night, plasmas usually are.

I think I read 200 hours to run in, though I'm not 100% sure, someone will say if I'm wrong.

It is frustrating not being able to watch the tv at it's best at first, and not everyone does it, but it does give you some peace of mind, and the last thing you want to do is damage the screen.

The GT50 is definitely better at night. The first two I had I really noticed it, although my current one seems to be good anytime. No need to shut the curtains any longer.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've read about some good settings for the GT50 on CNET somewhere, but I haven't actually found them yet.
confused.gif

A

Anonymous

I've had the gt50 for 2 weeks now and after watching mixed tv I now have the sky sports logo burnt into the tv. This happened about a week ago and I've since avoided all channels with logo and had it on for about 40 hours. It does appear to be fading but is still noticeable when light images are on the tv. I've calibrated it with a calibration DVD and run the scroll bar as much as possible.

Extremely worried at moment starting to wish I'd bought a LCD.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
DRRYLSLC said:
I've had the gt50 for 2 weeks now and after watching mixed tv I now have the sky sports logo burnt into the tv. This happened about a week ago and I've since avoided all channels with logo and had it on for about 40 hours. It does appear to be fading but is still noticeable when light images are on the tv. I've calibrated it with a calibration DVD and run the scroll bar as much as possible.

Extremely worried at moment starting to wish I'd bought a LCD.

Sorry to hear that.

What settings are you using and where did you buy the TV? I'm sure you know this, but avoid the Dynamic picture preset at all costs. If there's one picture mode that'll likely cause screen burn on a new plasma TV, it's Dynamic. The picture will look awful, too.

I haven't seen a suggestion of image retention (let alone screen burn) on my week old GT50. Can you discuss this with your reatiler?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm still debating whether to get a replacement set due to buzzing and the dirty screen effect.

I'm also not entirely convinced by the colour balance in all picture modes. There's a green/magenta tint to all images. People on screen look flushed, while the pasty British complexion becomes Mediterranean olive.

As it's a new plasma, colour balance will shift during the run in period and hopefully be much closer to D65 a bit further down the road. That said, I thought I'd check with other owners to see if their experiences are the same. Perhaps a replacement will look a little more accurate.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Drry, have you checked that pixel orbiter is on? I've not worried about IR but have been sure the orbiter is on at all times other than for movies....

strapped,

I get a bit of DSE but I don't mind it.....my main two problems are that bluray looks perfect and that's just using thx cinema as is, but Sky HD doesn't look that great.....and of course the buzz....mines 20 cm away from a wall so I do wonder if the buzz is reflected louder if not wall mounted??

i watch more sky movies than bluray so am torn between going for an LCD......

anyway, do younhavebthe same picture problems with bluray?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, Nick.

The green/magenta tint isn't down to the source, so it's there with all content. However, as I say, the colour balance of plasma TVs shifts over time, most notably while the panel is bedding in.

The green/magenta tint may be replaced by a more natural colour balance slightly further down the line. That said, plasma TVs typically produce redder images as they age, so if the balance already looks too warm, everyone on screen may look severely sunburnt later on. That's why I wanted to compare notes with other owners.

If the buzzing is really bothering you, I think it's worth giving a replacement a try, as the GT50 still represents excellent value for money.

If Sky HD looks dodgy, but Blu-rays look fantastic, this isn't really a problem with the TV, unless something strange is going on with upscaling. What resolution is your Sky HD tuner outputting?

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Strapped,

what settings are you using? If you like, i'll use the same and see if I have the same issue as thus far I've been focusing on the buzz, or rather trying to ignore it....so not noticed much else....

alos, do you get a significant jump in PQ from sky HD to bluray?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Nick, I'm using the THX Cinema preset, with all settings at default apart from colour, which is set to five clicks below default (or 25 clicks from zero).

That said, the green/magenta tint is present in all picture modes (Normal, Cinema, THX Cinema, THX Bright Room, and Professional 1 & 2), however I set them up. Perfect greyscale and colour balance are of course achievable in the Professional modes, but not without professional calibration equipment and software.

mickeyh

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
I am using normal settings with c.a.t.s on which is giving me an excellent picture quality in daylight or

evening conditions , as mentioned on the other thread I am not over complicating things with the other settings

All living rooms are different , find the setting that suits your room , then sit back and enjoy

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Strapped,

i'll check that out (although will be tomorrow I'm afraid).....

mickyh,

mines in a second bedroom so always watched in either mid or dark room.....if its too bright it's no good....what does c.a.t.s do?

A

Anonymous

I can hear a buzz on mine on bright screens and low volumes. Panasonic only consider it a problem if it can be heard on 1/3 of full volume. Been using cinema mode and have had no image retention modern screens are not susceptible to screen burn.

A

Anonymous

Just a thought re the buzzing... Is the power supply cable away from the signal carrying connections?

TRENDING THREADS