cabling advice for my rotel b&w set up please.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi all, i currently have rotel rcd 06 cd player, rc03 pre amp and 2 x rb03 power amps, b&w CM1 on their stands, i currently have them set up bi amp and bi wired, using chord cobra 3 and some mark grant biwire speaker cable. my interconnects need to be .75m to 1m and speaker 2m, currently my sound is good but feels a bit laid back or rolled off, i feel i need authority and clarity or airyness if this makes sense. what would you guys suggest i demo in the way of cables that works well with my budget of system and also my brands , i listen to varied music.

A

Anonymous

You could try some QED XT300 (from Superfi). Might give a tweak to the tonal balance that will suit.

A

Anonymous

is that just for the speakers and leave the interconnects for now ? thanks for your reply.

A

Anonymous

do i have to use their airlock connectors? with mine being biwired i need 16 at £5 each and already have gold terminals i can attach myself.

A

Anonymous

I use banana plugs because I'm a perfectionist but you don't need to and the benefit is convenience.

My experience of going from a Chord Cobra 2 to their Chameleon Silver Plus was the latter gave a more open sound. It might be of worth to find a cheap one on ebay or go to a dealer to borrow a bundle to try.

A

Anonymous

I should add that whether or not this gives you the sonic differences you're after can only be answered through a test. It's just an idea.

A

Anonymous

yes will give the speaker cable a try , superfi insisted i had to use qed airlocks with it . but can use my gold banana plugs.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:DNM solid core

Now there's an idea worth pursuing. Never heard any DNM stuff myself bit hear lots of good things :)

A

Anonymous

had dnm before and was good but with my kids and cats was easily bent and damaged so fancy qed i think, the xtube stuff seems very solid build just need to demo

A

Anonymous

just taken a look on the b&w www , phoned them and told them what i am using and my set up an they recommend keeping the cobra3 and try the chord carnival speaker cable and listen to the difference.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
paulpj:just taken a look on the b&w www , phoned them and told them what i am using and my set up an they recommend keeping the cobra3 and try the chord carnival speaker cable and listen to the difference.

That's a very good idea, I think. You have a very balanced setup, but might eventually want to get a better source though. Also, play with horizontal or vertical biamping if you haven't already.

One change at a time, however. Enjoy every single improvement it makes.ÿ

A

Anonymous

how do you mean horizontal or vertical biamping? lot of this new to me

A

Anonymous

I'm guessing they mean horizontal = one amp for each driver (e.g. one amp treble one bass) and vertical one amp for each channel.

What happens with four amps? Has anyone tried?

A

Anonymous

should i buy a dedicated biwire cable or 2 seperate cables for biamping and biwire ? looking into the vertical and horizontal amping via the thread given in the last post quite complicated by the sound of it , does anyone know where i can see a diagram as this allways helps me.

A

Anonymous

Doesn't matter which you buy but the dedicated biwire versions are tidier due to being one piece per side instead of two. Depends whether you want to buy in stages too.

I presume you're going to start with biwiring and then progress to biamping? I would expect that if you have one integrated and one power amp then the biamping would be least powerful running the treble each side and most powerful running the bass on each side.

A

Anonymous

already bi amping with one rotel rb03 power amp for each speaker,also biwired. just bought a new unit for my hifi and my interconnects are about 2 ins too short so will have to go for new interconnects anyway of 1.5m (at least the wife cant comment now)
emotion-21.gif
good opportunity to fine tune things, thanks for your replies .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts