Cable upgrade suggestions

tifosi20002008

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi all. :wave:

I'm considering upgrading my long serving cables. Chord crimson interconnects and chord sliver screen speaker cable. I wonder if they are doing full justice in my system. I have been considering Chord chamleon and Chord Odessey, Kimber cables and Tellurium q black's

Can anyone share any opinions on the above.

My system is Creek Evolution 2 amp. Exposure 2010s cd player. Usher s520 speakers. Bang and Olufsen beogram 5005. Rega phono stage.

Thanks all.

Keep rocking :rockout:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you should borrow a selection of cables so you can compare them at home.......FWIW my choice would be the TQ Black.

CnoEvil said:
I think you should borrow a selection of cables so you can compare them at home.......FWIW my choice would be the TQ Black.

Think the TQs would one enormous overkill. The OP has a very good set-up and for the cost of a set of TQs he could improve the speakers to far greater effect.

The cables I would invest in would be Merlin Chopins if you can get them on auction sites and perhaps Odyssey speaker cables.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Think the TQs would one enormous overkill. The OP has a very good set-up and for the cost of a set of TQs he could improve the speakers to far greater effect.

The cables I would invest in would be Merlin Chopins if you can get them on auction sites and perhaps Odyssey speaker cables.

This is a very valid point and needs to be kept in mind by the OP.....I should have said, never spend more on a cable than would bring greater improvement elsewhere in the system......though saying that, (imo) if you have the balance of the system the way you like it, a great able "can" be the way to go.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

This is a very valid point and needs to be kept in mind by the OP.....I should have said, never spend more on a cable than would bring greater improvement elsewhere in the system......though saying that, (imo) if you have the balance of the system the way you like it, a great able "can" be the way to go.

That's true - can't deny that the TQs are worth spending money... if you have a system to justify the cost. In your system I'd say yes the TQs are the way to go.

In the OP's system, which is wonderful BTW (Exposure, Creek, Ushers...), which is a midrange set-up, the OP would be pushed to hear an improvement if he went the TQ route.

I have Crimson Plus, from DVD to amp and Chopins from CD to amp, and the Chopins are a worthwhile upgrade IMV, at the fraction of the cost of the TQs.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
In the OP's system, which is wonderful BTW (Exposure, Creek, Ushers...), which is a midrange set-up, the OP would be pushed to hear an improvement if he went the TQ route.....

I wouldn't be so sure, but it has to be assessed in terms of opportunity cost. A home evaluation is the only way to go, as "assumtions" are the silent killer of hifi happiness.

iceman16

tifosi20002008 said:
Hi all. :wave:

I'm considering upgrading my long serving cables. Chord crimson interconnects and chord sliver screen speaker cable. I wonder if they are doing full justice in my system. I have been considering Chord chamleon and Chord Odessey, Kimber cables and Tellurium q black's

Can anyone share any opinions on the above.

My system is Creek Evolution 2 amp. Exposure 2010s cd player. Usher s520 speakers. Bang and Olufsen beogram 5005. Rega phono stage.

Thanks all.

Keep rocking :rockout:

tellurium q black..If you cn afford. very neutral and musical IME.:)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I would recommend trying any product before buying.

What about some Van Damme Blue Series by the way? More expensive isn't neccessarily any better, in fact, it might be preferable to spend little on some cables that make no difference to the sound whatsoever, as opposed to a lot on cables that do. The remaining money saved, could be spent on more music or on other equipment upgrades that might actually be of some worthwhile benefit.

matthewpiano

As far as I'm concerned you have perfectly good cables already. FWIW I own some Chord Rumour 2 and had some Chameleon Plus and I prefer the CrimsonPlus/Carnival Silverscreen combination. I'm not really a big believer in spending too much on cabling these days and if I didn't already have the Chord cables I would more than likely take Rick's advice to be honest.

A

Anonymous

Overdose said:
I would recommend trying any product before buying.

What about some Van Damme Blue Series by the way? More expensive isn't neccessarily any better, in fact, it might be preferable to spend little on some cables that make no difference to the sound whatsoever, as opposed to a lot on cables that do. The remaining money saved, could be spent on more music or on other equipment upgrades that might actually be of some worthwhile benefit.

I experimented the other day with some van damme black concert grade speaker cables, what a mistake! :cry: they are awfull, how anyone could compare these cables with high quality cables like odyssey,epic & tq black is a mystery.

I took the advise from people on here saying how wonderfull these cables were & 79 strand copper cables etc :roll: , what a load of rubbish, anyone who has genuinely heard these cables will know the difference and if you can't you need to get some ear wax remover cos your going deaf! :grin:

:wave:

T

the record spot

THESTIG08 said:
I experimented the other day with some van damme black concert grade speaker cables, what a mistake! :cry: they are awfull, how anyone could compare these cables with high quality cables like odyssey,epic & tq black is a mystery.

I took the advise from people on here saying how wonderfull these cables were & 79 strand copper cables etc :roll: , what a load of rubbish, anyone who has genuinely heard these cables will know the difference and if you can't you need to get some ear wax remover cos your going deaf! :grin:

Oh dear. I do so like coming on to this site and having someone tell me how much better the audio world is by spending stupid money on some pricey bits of copper in a nicely coloured casing and in a pretty box.

My Atlas Navigators (£200-odd worth) are in real terms not much more of the audio performer you might expect than the £7 basic ones I also have.

So I use them for what they are, enablers to hook up two bits of equipment and not tone controls or enhancers.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
THESTIG08 said:

If you can hear such differences, I suggest that you might be doing something wrong.

However, if you are happy to spend what I personally would consider unneccessary amounts on speaker cables, go right ahead. I have also tried a variety of different types of cable constructions, including twisted pairs, multi-strand, single cored and shielded. The only really noticeable differences were in the flexibility and connectability of the cables. Sound was unaffected, so I now use generic OFC cables, currently, standard studio mic leads.

As for the deaf thing, my hearing is regularly tested and is as good as is likely to get. Perhaps your hearing needs to be tested? If you have not had a recent hearing test, you may have an as yet undiagnosed hearing defect.

THESTIG08 said:

Hi THESTIG08

I feel standard 79 strand OFC speaker cables are state of the art :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
copper is copper, if somebody can hear a difference in a cable .000001% purer than another well thats fine by me. now if you experiment with guages, silver platings, solid core versus multi core and the differences in strands and twistings etc then i am open minded as i have heard differences. when the prices get above £20 a metre tho i do start to worry about what is going on

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend trying some of the Audioquest range.

I love their sound, both IC and Speaker cable, but as always it's horses for courses! ;)

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
THESTIG08 said:

Oh dear. I do so like coming on to this site and having someone tell me how much better the audio world is by spending stupid money on some pricey bits of copper in a nicely coloured casing and in a pretty box.

My Atlas Navigators (£200-odd worth) are in real terms not much more of the audio performer you might expect than the £7 basic ones I also have.

So I use them for what they are, enablers to hook up two bits of equipment and not tone controls or enhancers.

wow what a closed mind you have..if copper is copper then rubber is rubber yes? then why do F1 drivers drive on pirelli f1 tyres?... if your theory is correct some £30 budgets from kwik fit should do the job..sometimes its not just about what a product is made out of..its what the complete package is capable of producing.

Its not just about a copper cable you know..for instance the Chord Epic speaker cable features twin 2mm silver-plated oxygen free copper conductors in twisted pair configuration. With a silicone internal jacket, dual foil and braid shielding system, and finally, a vibration damping PVC outer jacket, this 'Epic' cable is capable of delivering a stunningly pure and natural sound. If you want to get the very best out of your separates system, don't ruin it with inferior cable between your amp and speakers - ensure a high quality performance with the Chord Epic speaker cable...

Why does it sound so good???

God know's...it just DOES.

Nice to see all the cable believers are standing up for what they believe..

You can all gibber on and talk rubbish to your hearts content, i won't be visiting this site again, i can see why retailers find WHF a joke.

And for that reason i'm OUT...

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
THESTIG08 said:
the record spot said:
THESTIG08 said:

wow what a closed mind you have..if copper is copper then rubber is rubber yes? then why do F1 drivers drive on pirelli f1 tyres?... if your theory is correct some £30 budgets from kwik fit should do the job..sometimes its not just about what a product is made out of..its what the complete package is capable of producing.

Its not just about a copper cable you know..for instance the Chord Epic speaker cable features twin 2mm silver-plated oxygen free copper conductors in twisted pair configuration. With a silicone internal jacket, dual foil and braid shielding system, and finally, a vibration damping PVC outer jacket, this 'Epic' cable is capable of delivering a stunningly pure and natural sound. If you want to get the very best out of your separates system, don't ruin it with inferior cable between your amp and speakers - ensure a high quality performance with the Chord Epic speaker cable...

You can all gibber on and talk rubbish to your hearts content, i won't be visiting this site again, i can see why retailers find WHF a joke.

Aaaand Breeeeeaaaath!

That rubber analogy was pretty poor by the way. See you soon. ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
THESTIG08 said:

I have, on many occasions, but it has no effect on those of a strongly held alternative viewpoint. IMO This is a broad church, with room for everyone's opinion.

I happen to believe in cables, and often give advice where it's looked for, but it never worries me that others don't agree. I wish I couldn't hear a difference, as it would save me a lot of money.....but I can.

It is of course your right to leave, but don't let it be over a cable thread.....life is too short.

Take care.

Cno

T

the record spot

THESTIG08 said:
wow what a closed mind you have

Really? I do? I'd have thought around ten or so different cables in the last few years ranging from £8 Computergears to £200-odd Atlas Navigators gives me enough of an open mind to respond to Hyperbole Central when it's airing. Add in Monster Interlinks, van den hul The Name, Audioquest Copperheads and Turquoise, QED Qunex...some unbranded ones that came with a DAC I bought...yeah I heard a difference alright, but it was so minor, you'd get more change out of moving your speakers six inches either way.

THESTIG08 said:
..if copper is copper then rubber is rubber yes? then why do F1 drivers drive on pirelli f1 tyres?... if your theory is correct some £30 budgets from kwik fit should do the job..sometimes its not just about what a product is made out of..its what the complete package is capable of producing.

Yes, this was a poor analogy. I think you'll find the properties of car tyres and electrical inductance and capictance in copper wires are rather different.

THESTIG08 said:

And these are your words or the marketing blurb on the box. Do you know what all of that stuff does? Or did you just buy into the chat?

THESTIG08 said:

I'm glad you get enjoyment out of your stereo. I draw your attention to this:-

http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_ppec.htm

THESTIG08 said:

Personally, I couldn't care less. As Cno mentioned, this is a broad church. And it was your tin opener that opened this particular can of worms.

THESTIG08 said:

And your behaviour represents what? Civilised discourse? Informed critique? Please.

THESTIG08 said:

Cheerio. Don't let the door slam you on the etc, etc..

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You obviously like Chord

I have owned loads of cables Russ Andrews, Atlas, QED now Chord and to my amazement the Chord Cadenza Interconnects with Vee Plugs are stunning, especially for the money.

I prefered them to the Chord sigantures that I owned and when I went to demo my new speakers thats what they set up for me to demo them with i.e. the sales man knew they are good.

They are just very balanced with no harshness to the sound at all - but without sacrificing detail - perfect for me

Very easy to hear on demo - get yourself to a dealer SSAV will likely have them on demo - make your own mind up.

I was put of biamping for years due to peoples comments on forums - fools biamping etc - I was a fool not to do it years ago

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts