Cable Lengths with an AV Receiver

peter8171

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, I'm currently in a gradual process of upgrading my Home Cinema system and the next step is the speaker cable. Currently it's just running some free cable, but I'm planning on changing it to some at around the £5/m level. At the moment, all the cable lengths to each speaker are the same length, but this obviously leaves a lot of excess cable to the centre and front speakers.

My question is, can I just run the same length of cable to the front left and right, a different length to the rear left and right and another length to the centre? Would I be able to use the auto set up on my Sony STR DH810 to then sort out the delay caused by different speaker cable lengths? Or should I run the same length to all spakers and try and hide the excess cable?

Thanks

michael hoy

Hi,

I use the same length cable to the LCR, but only because the are equal distances away from the amp.

My rears are 5mtr runs.

I would recommend the Van Damme UP LCOFC, it is about the price you are wanting to pay depending if you go for the 4mm or 2.5mm.

Other companies sell the cable as well as the one in my link.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
peter8171 said:
My question is, can I just run the same length of cable to the front left and right, a different length to the rear left and right and another length to the centre?

Yes, that's exactly what I have done!

peter8171 said:
Would I be able to use the auto set up on my Sony STR DH810 to then sort out the delay caused by different speaker cable lengths?

I'm not sure about how the auto set-up process on receivers actually works, but I've done the auto set-up process on all my systems and never had any delay problems, so I guess it's not an issue.

peter8171 said:
Or should I run the same length to all spakers and try and hide the excess cable?

No, I really don't think that it is necessary to have the same length cable to all speakers, as bigboss has said.

You might also look at what's been said in the similar forum topic "Speaker cable help please".

A

Anonymous

"Would I be able to use the auto set up on my Sony STR DH810 to then sort out the delay caused by different speaker cable lengths?"

Electrical signals in copper wire pass at between 60% and 97% of the speed of light in a vacuum (300,000,000 m/s). Having a 10 metre difference between your left and right speaker cables will cause a delay of, at absolute worst, 0.00000005 seconds.

That difference is sooo tiny that it is beyond your Sony's electronics to pick up, and massively beyond your ears to hear (0.1% of the wavelength of the highest pitch a perfect human ear can hear).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts