CA DacMagic and CA 640C V2 questions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to improve on the sound of my Cambridge Audio 640c V2. I have heard a few people on this forum are using the CA Dac Magic with this CD player. Will using the Dac Magic improve the sound quality? Also what would be the best connection from CD player to Dac? Toslink or coax

My current system consists of:

Cambridge Audio 740A Integrated Amp

Cambridge Audio 640C V2

Polk Audio LSi9s on Epos stands

Velodyne spl-800r Sub

Audioquest type-4 speaker wire

Audioquest diamond back interconnects

A

Anonymous

I use the v1 CA640C and the Beresford and I find it a definite improvement, calms and sweetens the top end and extends the bottom. I use a coax, tried optical and thought the sound was a tad harsher. The general consensus is that the DAC magic performs in the region of a £500 CD player, so don't see why it wouldn't be better. Although the best way would be to give it a go of course.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Try it anyway but as nads says they use the same DAC in the DacNagic as in the 640v2. As the CDP has the better PSU (I heard) if there is a slight difference I'd expect it to be in favour of running the CD direct.

I use the 640v1 CDP in my system and have a Beresford TC7510v6 like Brisk and concur with the more civiled sound using this this DAC witth the CDP, it's a case of more detail and less warmth. I'm not sure I have a preference though. It's just different.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Yes, it does improve the sound! And yes they do use the same DAC, but thats not the part that makes the difference. Its the upsampling. I bought the DM to use with my Airport Express and given the extra inputs I also tried connecting my 640C V2 (using QED performance coaxial cable), and what a difference. The bottom has expanded and is more tight, the top is even more fluent and the overall stereo perspective has widened given each instrument a much more precise placement in the sound picture. Before,ÿit was like the sound came from the speakers, now its as if it comes between them. I'm thrilled. ÿ

TRENDING THREADS