C.D players, Old vs New

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wondered if anyone had any veiws or knowledge on just how my marantz cd63 ki signiture
(coming soon bought for £100 off ebay) should sound up against a modern player of around the 2-3 hundred pound mark, Ive loved hi-fi for years and know older amps sound very good, but also know how the digital age moves very past, i bought this on a tight budget after my cambridge audio cd6 packed up, this was much loved. Any thoughts welcome and appreciated

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Still running an original (possibly the original) CD63MkIiKI-S here and it's still anazing player. Drawer has developed a scream, but still sounds fabulous

A

Anonymous

I think you will be pleased with your aquisition. Marantz have, with the rare exeption, consistantly turned out good sounding and well built CD players. The Signature players included. Belive it or not I was "watching" the Marantz you bought on ebay and thought at the time someone had made a good buy!

Your satisfaction will depend on how much of an audiophile you are. It is very easy to fall into the trap of listening to the equipment instead of listening to the music! Give it an hour or so and if after that time you don't feel fatigued, then your Marantz must be doing something right!

I recently listened to a Pioneer PD-91, quite an old machine but the sound to my ears was superb by any standard. I was inspired to find one for myself and very nearly bought one on ebay which sold for £400.00. That in itself is an indication there are a lot of folk out there who highly rate "Old" equipment if after many years it can still command that sort of price!

I think it all boils down to a question of taste...some will consider a warm, smooth sound to be more important than say a good stereo soundstage others would prefer a forward punchy presentation etc I personally like an analitical CD offering good dynamics, clearly defined instrument and vocal separation. Lets face it hi-fi has reached a point where the difference between a £300.00 CD player and one costing £1000.00 is there to be heard, but the gap in some cases, is sufficiently narrow to be almost negligable unless you are a truly discerning audiophile with a very fixed idea of what you want from a player. Enjoy your Marantz!

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I fell into the same trap back in the late 80's. My first cd player was a Philips CD303 a 14 bit 4x oversampling player . When the Philips CD650 came out I jumped at the idea of getting as it was one of the first 16 bit 4 x oversampling players. Big mistake (but to late for me as I sold my CD303 by then) the CD650 was less satisfying. I have a sneeking suspician that the CD303 will give a lot of CD players today a run for their money.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for reply, good to here they are still in use by yourself.

A

Anonymous

Thanks also audiopaul for reply, mine was the £101 player(laughing) not £100 as quoted by myself, I agree about listening to the music and not the equipment. As for an audiophile i dont know, but anyone can spend a few hours on listening tests, speaker positioning, spike leveling e.c.t e.c.t e.c.t, this does not cost a penny but can make all the difference as you prob know, p.s very good description of types of sound.

thanks again for reply

A

Anonymous

Thanks anton for reply, the sellers do like to keep selling

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
hi i dont pretend to know much about hifi but i can say i also have a marantz cd63ki. I have a Nad c352ct amp (£350) a Nad C521bee Cd player and im using a pair of mission m33i floorstanding speakers all cables are black rodium. With regard to your question my nad cd player sounds great and only cost £200. but i still use my marantz cd 63 ki as they both have a very different sound with different kinds of music i would have to say cd players have come a long way in recent years so i think you get more for your money than ever. in conclusion does my new player sound better yes when you cosider the cost....but the marantz does have its place as in some recordings gives a bit more detail and on others the nad is more musical and less clinical....So i still use the marantz and i guess you would have to spend £500 plus to better it Hope this is of any help to you

thanks ROB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts