Buying a second hand projector....good or bad idea?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Looking at projectors at then moment, and wondered if it's a good idea to buy second hand?

Besides the lamp needed replacing at some point, does much else go wrong with them?

Any hlep would be much appreciated.....

The alternative is to purchase a new one but my budget is limited.......any opinions on the budget side of projectors? Worth getting, or saving up and looking at more expensive one's in the future.

Would be keen to get 1080p and 3d, although 3d wouldn't be used too much at this point as my amp will not pass it through.....

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

What is your budget Pete?

I would recommend the Panasonic 50VT65 at £1530 or the 50GT60 at £1170! They are fantastic screens!

Paul.

Pistol Pete1 said:
Another question...

LCD or DLP???

Which is best???

Im not a fan of DLP projectors as I find the rainbow effect very distracting (I have twitchy eyes I guess) but to be fair the projectors I have watched were not particularly expensive (£900 ish?) so more expensive ones may be better.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
What is your budget Pete?

I would recommend the Panasonic 50VT65 at £1530 or the 50GT60 at £1170! They are fantastic screens!

These are tv's.....my topic is about projectors :wall:

Thanks anyway, but I'm keen to spend under £1000 to get a 1080p screen bigger than 50 inches.....

And if I find a second hand one, maybe cheaper???

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
See if you can get an ex-demo projector from a dealer, which should come with guarantee to protect you from the bulb goig too quickly or any other unpleasant surprises.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I purchased mine on ebay for 300 Eur and everything went very well, I have been enjoying 2 years of great cinema so far. 2 recomendations I would give:

1 - Ask the guy for a picture of the screen with the projector on to see if there could be something very wrong on the image itself or on the colours that could be perceived right away.

2 - Ask for the bulb hours and whether he has ever changed the bulb.

Regarding DLP or LCD it is up to you. DLP normally has better image and LCD on the other hand does not have the rainbow effect. In my case, it was a very low budget projector and did have the rainbow effect but after some time using it, I stopped noticing. My wife on the other hand never noticed anything. It is kind of personal and it happens more if you are acually looking for it.... when you relax then some people like myself even stop seeing it anymore.

abacus

Not much difference between LCD & DLP these days, although as has been noted some users are more susceptible to the rainbow effect of DLP projectors than others. (My only problem is active 3D glasses which give me a headache after about 10 minutes of viewing, hence the reason I have no interest in 3D)

The Epson 5910 LCD is getting rave reviews at the moment and is under £1000; with the Optoma HD25 DLP also well under £1000.

No substitute for a big quality image when watching films. (65” would be the bare minimum, although you would still need to sit very close to it)

Projectors have come on in leaps and bounds in the last few years, so I wouldn’t go for any that were more than 2 – 3 years old.

Hope this helps

Bill

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
abacus said:
Not much difference between LCD & DLP these days, although as has been noted some users are more susceptible to the rainbow effect of DLP projectors than others. (My only problem is active 3D glasses which give me a headache after about 10 minutes of viewing, hence the reason I have no interest in 3D)

The Epson 5910 LCD is getting rave reviews at the moment and is under £1000; with the Optoma HD25 DLP also well under £1000.

No substitute for a big quality image when watching films. (65” would be the bare minimum, although you would still need to sit very close to it)

Projectors have come on in leaps and bounds in the last few years, so I wouldn’t go for any that were more than 2 – 3 years old.

Hope this helps

Bill

Bill,

Thats great thanks....

I had noticed both the Epson and Optoma projectors........and both are on my potential 'list'.

A lot of this might come down to positioning in the lounge too, after reading the online manual for the Benq W1070 which seems to have great user reviews, but not such a good WHF one, it seems that a potential purchase has to have the correct throw distance/vertical correction etc (all new to me, so lots of research will be needed!).... :wall:

My couch is around 3.5 metres away from my current tv, and I hope to install a ceiling mounted screen that will drop down over the tv. I would prefer the projector to be mounted by the back wall, above the window which will have a black out blind installed, so I need a projector that will give the correct sized screen from that distance. What is the correct sized screen....guess I need to research possible screens next!!!

Wish me luck.... :cheers:

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
rendu said:
I purchased mine on ebay for 300 Eur and everything went very well, I have been enjoying 2 years of great cinema so far. 2 recomendations I would give:

1 - Ask the guy for a picture of the screen with the projector on to see if there could be something very wrong on the image itself or on the colours that could be perceived right away.

2 - Ask for the bulb hours and whether he has ever changed the bulb.

Regarding DLP or LCD it is up to you. DLP normally has better image and LCD on the other hand does not have the rainbow effect. In my case, it was a very low budget projector and did have the rainbow effect but after some time using it, I stopped noticing. My wife on the other hand never noticed anything. It is kind of personal and it happens more if you are acually looking for it.... when you relax then some people like myself even stop seeing it anymore.

Sounds like a bargain!!!

Thanks for the additional advice/info.... :cheers:

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
See if you can get an ex-demo projector from a dealer, which should come with guarantee to protect you from the bulb goig too quickly or any other unpleasant surprises.

Great idea....will look into this.... :cheers:

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Next question.......

My Denon AVR2310 only has one hdmi output.......if I add a projector to my system will I have to swap over hdmi cables when moving from projector to tv use, and visa versa?

Or is there something on the market that allows the user to switch from one to another?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Would this work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Port-HDMI-splitter-hub-switch-multi-1-input-2-output-/360650930374?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item53f87878c6

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
Would this work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Port-HDMI-splitter-hub-switch-multi-1-input-2-output-/360650930374?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item53f87878c6

Some work better than others. I think you need it powered to boost the signal?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
But those kind of things work with 3D and 1080p if fitted from the output on my receiver and connected to tv and projector via the two outputs? Eventually I'll upgrade to a dual hdmi outputting receiver I guess....

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
Would this work?

Hello Pistol Pete1,

Having clicked on the link for the this device, I note that it is a router and not a duplicator; you cannot use it to drive two displays at the same time! I think that in time you might find that aspect limiting. Still, it's only a fiver .....

DandyCobalt said:

This device has no built-in amplification, and thus I imagine can be used over only short (I'm guessing at no more than about five metres) distances. If you put "HDMI splitter" into google, you will see units from Lindy electronics, Keene electronics, and Maplin, all costing around £40 I think, which will all have built-in amplication and can be used over longer distances. In my flat I have one (powered) HDMI splitter that sends picture and sound 15 metres from kitchen to my bedroom, and simultaneously 20 metres to the parlour. In the parlour I have four more splitters, with one sending picture and sound 20 metres from parlour to kitchen and parlour to bedroom.

Paul suggested a Blu-Ray player with two HDMI outputs. I'm not sure that that would work for you, because if you connected, say, the secondary output to the projector and the primary output to the Denon 2310 (with the TV being connected to the single HDMI output of the Denon), if you tried to run TV and projector at the same time you might find that the 5.1 Dolby True HD or the DTS Master Audio soundtracks from the Blu-Ray player would be downgraded to stereo, through both its outputs.

Sorry that I know next to nothing about projectors, by the way, but I'll follow your thread, I might learn something!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Pistol Pete1 said:
Would this work?

Hello Pistol Pete1,

Having clicked on the link for the this device, I note that it is a router and not a duplicator; you cannot use it to drive two displays at the same time! I think that in time you might find that aspect limiting. Still, it's only a fiver .....

DandyCobalt said:

This device has no built-in amplification, and thus I imagine can be used over only short (I'm guessing at no more than about five metres) distances. If you put "HDMI splitter" into google, you will see units from Lindy electronics, Keene electronics, and Maplin, all costing around £40 I think, which will all have built-in amplication and can be used over longer distances. In my flat I have one (powered) HDMI splitter that sends picture and sound 15 metres from kitchen to my bedroom, and simultaneously 20 metres to the parlour. In the parlour I have four more splitters, with one sending picture and sound 20 metres from parlour to kitchen and parlour to bedroom.

Paul suggested a Blu-Ray player with two HDMI outputs. I'm not sure that that would work for you, because if you connected, say, the secondary output to the projector and the primary output to the Denon 2310 (with the TV being connected to the single HDMI output of the Denon), if you tried to run TV and projector at the same time you might find that the 5.1 Dolby True HD or the DTS Master Audio soundtracks from the Blu-Ray player would be downgraded to stereo, through both its outputs.

Sorry that I know next to nothing about projectors, by the way, but I'll follow your thread, I might learn something!

Thanks for your lengthy reply to this......

The good news is I'll only ever use one screen at one time, as the projector screen will be mounted so it drops down in front of the tv screen. If my linked unit works that way, I'll give it a go as a temporary measure as I'll have to get a 3D ready receiver at some point anyway to receive hd sound from my blu ray player....but the receiver will be in a few years time I guess......3D isn't a priority tbh.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
Would this work?

No, that one does not work. I tried it myself and it was a waste of money.

You can try one that is amplified like this one below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Port-HDMI-splitter-hub-switch-multi-1-input-2-output-/190445941345?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2c57767261

Or one that is manual like the one below. This is the one I actually had for a few years and it worked very well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-Manual-Switch-Box-2-Inputs-1-Output-LCD-HD-Blu-ray-/360182828325?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item53dc91cd25

Also, I recomend that you spend some money in a good long HDMI cable for the projector because otherwise, if the distance is more than 10 m. you could loose a lot of quality.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Controlling things through your a/v receiver ( with 2 HDMI outputs) is a good idea. If you have your projector/screen linked to output no. 2, and ideally with a 12v trigger, then as soon as you switch to output no.2, your screen will descend, the crowd will go "Awwwhh!", and you're ready to rock.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Controlling things through your a/v receiver ( with 2 HDMI outputs) is a good idea. If you have your projector/screen linked to output no. 2, and ideally with a 12v trigger, then as soon as you switch to output no.2, your screen will descend, the crowd will go "Awwwhh!", and you're ready to rock.

Sounds perfect!!! :dance:

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
rendu said:
Pistol Pete1 said:
Would this work?

No, that one does not work. I tried it myself and it was a waste of money.

You can try one that is amplified like this one below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Port-HDMI-splitter-hub-switch-multi-1-input-2-output-/190445941345?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2c57767261

Or one that is manual like the one below. This is the one I actually had for a few years and it worked very well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-Manual-Switch-Box-2-Inputs-1-Output-LCD-HD-Blu-ray-/360182828325?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item53dc91cd25

Also, I recomend that you spend some money in a good long HDMI cable for the projector because otherwise, if the distance is more than 10 m. you could loose a lot of quality.

That second version is a 2 input, 1 output device....I need a 1 input, 2 output if I'm to connect it to the output of my Denon 2310.

First one looks good though.....

Hopefully a 10 metre HDMI cable be long enough.....

RWhite_25

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
It's not a bad idea but I'd suggest to ask any audio visual hire company before buying the old stuff. Tell them about the light replacement issue and get to know about how much it will cost to repair and all. If you are getting the projector at half the price of new then go for it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts