Burr Brown Raspberry Pi Network Player

marweb

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I've been running Squeezebox Server / Logitech Media Server for many years and after looking for alternatives I decided to build a Raspberry Pi based player for my hi-fi. I currently hook up a Squeezebox2 to my Arcam A19.

For about ninety quid I have a very good streamer based on the IQaudIO Pi-DAC+ that uses the TI Burr Brown 32-bit/384kHz DAC (TI PCM5122.) Definitely an improvement on the Sqeezebox2 and it took me less that 15 minutes to build and play music.

The same DAC is found in the Lead Audio Northern Fidelity 32bit-384KHz DAC and Headphone Amplifier and the Olive 4HD network player, so it would seem to have some pedigree.

I've had it running for a few hours now and there's so much more clarity than from the Squeezebox2 (I also did some unscientific AB tests with family members and they were quick to chose the Pi-DAC.) Another user rated it better than a Squeezebox2 digi out into Arcam irDAC. I can't comment on that, but I'm very pleased with this simple upgrade ... and it keeps my LMS alive.

Let me know if you're interested in build details etc.

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
As an Olympic standard electronic incompetent I'd be fascinated to know what the components were, where you got them and how you put them together.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Frank Robinson said:
I think you need someone to promote your own project, it will be hard to start with it on the market

The OP made no mention of wanting to market the player he has built. Maybe all that Spam has gone to your head?

marweb

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I was simply sharing my experience of a fantastic DAC. I'm now running it with the Mopidy software and control through my mobile phone. I've since learned that this setup uses the same DAC found in the £400 Bluesound NODE 2, so it's likely to sound similar. I've also run the same audio source simultanoeusly through my Dragonfly 1.2 and I have to say that the Audioquest was a distant second.

TRENDING THREADS