Building a vintage surround sound! Please help!

Jr5

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
So I've spent hours scrawling through the forum here and putting into practice what I've read and still no luck..

ive recently acquired a lovely pioneer a400 and a pair of tannoy 636's and thought it'd be a cool idea to rig them up to my tv. That's where it's all went wrong.

I went from the RCA on my shitty alba LCD tv to the phono RCA on the amp, plugged my headphones into the amp and nothing..

Havent tried the speakers yet as I'm outa speaker wire but surely I should be receiving a signal? The amp works as i tested it with my akai 3000d prior to this carry on!

Many help/advice would be really appreciated!

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jr5

Depending of the age of your tv, most RCA's will be input only, ie to temporary connect a games console or camcorder etc. This may be why you are not getting any sound from your amp as you are trying to connect input to input.

does your tv have any other connections you could try, also check the manual if you still have it, ( try searching online ).

hope this helps you.

:)

Jr5

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi thanks for the reply, there is a headphone plug in the tv but I don't have any kind of RCA to headphone jack cable, reckon this would be something worth looking into? There's also spdif coax out option on the tv if that is of any use? First time I've attempted to combine old and new tech if I'm honest bit bewildered!

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jr5 again.

thanks for reading my reply.

I think the headphone jack to your amp is the way to go, you should be able to get the right cable ( headphone plug to 2 RCA's ) online, try amazon or ebay. If you have a maplins or something similar near to you on the high street, try them also.

The other socket you mention ( spdif coax out ) is designed to connect into a home cinema amp, your pioneer amp wont have the correct socket on it.

again hope this helps.

:)

Jr5

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi again, ordered a headphone to rca last night from eBay, should arrive in a couple of days, I'll let you know how I get on.

thanks again mate

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts