Building a system (LS50?)

soox

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

Am looking into a setup around the KEF LS50's after hearing my friend's Q100. Am one to enjoy the details in a sound and have been managing with the M-Audio AV40's so far (apart from Sennheiser IE80 and HD280 headphones).

* Lifetime partner is what I'm looking for
* Eyes on KEF LS50 but of course open to others
* Amp budget $1k if that gets the job done, obviously prefer spending less
* Other components are unclear to me (pre-amp? wiring?)
* Lossless audio would go back to if there is a convenient way to get it!
* Source nowadays is just 320kpbs spotify off laptop or phone
* Chromecast intention to use as wireless option

1) Would you be able to recommend a setup and briefly explain your thinking?

2) Knowing lossless is the way to go, but having lost the time to build such libraries 8 years ago,
a) what % of the LS50 could I be utilizing through just a 320kpbs spotify laptop? and
b) what is your favorite alternative method of obtaining better audio?

Thanks a ton for any two cents!

soox said:
Hey guys,

Am looking into a setup around the KEF LS50's after hearing my friend's Q100. Am one to enjoy the details in a sound and have been managing with the M-Audio AV40's so far (apart from Sennheiser IE80 and HD280 headphones).

* Lifetime partner is what I'm looking for* Eyes on KEF LS50 but of course open to others* Amp budget $1k if that gets the job done, obviously prefer spending less* Other components are unclear to me (pre-amp? wiring?)* Lossless audio would go back to if there is a convenient way to get it!* Source nowadays is just 320kpbs spotify off laptop or phone* Chromecast intention to use as wireless option

1) Would you be able to recommend a setup and briefly explain your thinking?

2) Knowing lossless is the way to go, but having lost the time to build such libraries 8 years ago,a) what % of the LS50 could I be utilizing through just a 320kpbs spotify laptop? andb) what is your favorite alternative method of obtaining better audio?

Thanks a ton for any two cents!

First, the LS50 are excellent speakers to build a system around. Second, there are others that some may prefer. It'll boil down personal preference... but this you'll only know by demoing different speakers and amps.

Now this'll again come down to room size and acoustics: If it's reflective with haedflooring you may need a syetm that doesn't provoke the top end. By contrast, a good acoustic-friendly room (carpets, soft furnishings thick curtains etc) you might require a more up front presentation.

I could mention a whole raft of different makes of amps, speakers/sources but you'll need to gauge what you like (and don't) with your ears.

Alternatively If you're building system from the ground up and you only use downloads then a good qaulity active speakers could well be the answer.

As pp suggests, a powered speaker may make more sense as your source is a laptop. KEF make the x300 models. Not quite a LS50, which can benefit from very good amplifiers several times its price. But fine for Spotify.

Though I use chromecast audio, I'm unsure exactly what technical quality it can achieve in terms of bit rate and depth. It is definitely up with CD, but is obviously source dependent, and I find it slightly opaque compared to a good FM tuner or CD player.

jjbomber

soox said:
Hey guys,

Given that you know that you love the sound of the kef Q100s, then that is what I would suggest you buy. I doubt that you would notice much improvement with the LS50s on Spotify, or any other streaming service.

As for amps, it all depends how you want to connect the laptop, or you could buy an amp with Spotify built in. Something like the Denon CEOL RCD-N9 would fit the bill. The reasoning? There's no point putting a Ferrari engine in a Mini!

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
cannot agree with you jj.. two reasons:

1) there's no audiable difference between 256AAC and lossless.. also, I wouldn't mix all streaming sevices into one bag as some ( tidal, qobuz) offer lossless streaming if anybody insist

2) true, ferrari engine shouldn't be in mini but bmw engine is right at home with mini so amps like creek 100, rega elex, exposure 2010 or arcam a29 should be right at home with ls50.

and yes, I would still recommend to have a listen to some actives.. where are you soox? your local market maybe different to uk offerings..

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
cannot agree with you jj.. two reasons:

1) there's no audiable difference between 256AAC and lossless.. also, I wouldn't mix all streaming sevices into one bag as some ( tidal, qobuz) offer lossless streaming if anybody insist

2) true, ferrari engine shouldn't be in mini but bmw engine is right at home with mini so amps like creek 100, rega elex, exposure 2010 or arcam a29 should be right at home with ls50.

and yes, I would still recommend to have a listen to some actives.. where are you soox? your local market maybe different to uk offerings..

256 the difference is audibly, but not as great as one might expect. At 320 it's getting pretty close to lossless, and is pretty hard to tell the difference consistently, but you can learn what to listen for. I think I'd be happy using streaming services at 320 for all or most of my music.

In terms of amps, I'd be very keen to hear the best current Arcam I could afford with the LS50s, but I've got a soft spot for Arcam.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
ID. said:
In terms of amps, I'd be very keen to hear the best current Arcam I could afford with the LS50s, but I've got a soft spot for Arcam.

I can tell you the really sound good with the A49, but I am biased.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Streaming has come a long way - in my set up - naim unitilite - 256/320 kbps streams (spotify etc) sound very good. But lossless streams - from any other medium (streaming or cd) are better. On somebody else's system it might be a lot closer. Some also say it's virtually indistinguishable. I don't doubt that's what you hear. But on my system the difference is there to be heard. (all inmho)

cheers wiggy

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Thats all youll need forget the Kefs ive had them and yes they're fab but compared to the avi speakers which by the way are are amp/speakers built in are a hundred times better.

Im using them and only ever use spotify premium and WOW they are the most complete package youll ever need.

Oh by the way did i mention youll not need any horrible black boxes clogging up your room.

Just the DM5 and airport express done..

SIMPLES..........

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Soox

I have already answered this over on AVF, but here's my copied and pasted reply, just for reference.

Does your laptop have Bluetooth? If so, you could look at amps with Bluetooth to use your laptop and phone files. The new Cyrus One amplifier, which should be available by the end of this month, works great with the LS50s - I had the pleasure of testing the combination out last week. The 100wpc Class D amplification of the Cyrus One is based on their £1750 Stereo 200 power amplifier (200wpc), and makes the LS50s sound how I like them to sound. You'll find my initial thoughts in this thread.
Alternatively, the Rotel RA12 and Quad Vena are worthy of an audition, both having Bluetooth, but also USB inputs. I mention the USB inputs of these Amos as this could be useful for plugging in your laptop to play music files from it. If you didn't want to have the laptop on all the time, you could add an Innuos Zen Mini, which can also be plugged in directly via USB. This is a 1TB or 2TB hard drive which is digital only, with no analogue circuitry on board, and a disc transport for ripping CDs to it's hard drive. You can also transfer music files (any type) and downloads across your network from your computer to store on it too. Open up a web browser and you're able to correct any incorrect metadata or artwork extremely easily, without the need for a PC, like other hard drive storage solutions. Download any number of control apps and you can then choose what to play. As it is connected to your network, other streaming devices in your home will see it too and have access to its music. It also offers (with a relevant subscription) Spotify, Deezer, and Tidal, as well as internet radio. I wrote a small piece on it a short while ago here. You could still easily utilise the Innuos with the Cyrus by adding a DAC between the two - an AudioQuest Dragonfly will do the job just fine, allowing you to plug the Innuos into the Cyrus One via analogue connections. Whilst for me, 320kbps from Spotify falls a little short on overall quality compared to "full fat" lossless FLAC files from CD the Innuos will hold, it is surprising how good 320 can sound when played through a good system. I do have some 320 files on my Innuos which are mainly from downloads that have some with vinyl releases, although it's great when there's a FLAC option. CDs are very cheap now though, and you can get used CDs very cheaply, which you can quite easily build up a nice, cheap library which you can rip in FLAC to the Innuos. My thinking behind this sort of system is that it is simple, easy to use, and doesn't need your laptop on all the time. You have the amp and Innuos box - just two boxes. You won't need a CD player, as all your CDs will be stored on the Innuos. You won't need any other little device to add internet radio or music streaming app, as the Innuos provides it all. And you save wear and tear on your laptop, which you won't need switched on 24/7, which are usually a little noisy in comparison to the Innuos boxes, which are basically silent. The Innuos will be all you need to obtain better audio, and it'll store any music files, including hi-res files, should you wish to take that route.

soox

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks a ton for all the shared experience (and thanks David).

Biggest bottleneck sounds like it's using a laptop as a source, despite spending $1k on an amp. Agree?

Could someone share, or point me to, a more technical explanation? Curious if i) laptops power output could sufficiently increase over the next decade, or ii) there is any workaround while still using a laptop, or iii) what I can be playing from instead (eg an addon device with high output that can play spotify?). Sounds like I need to figure this out first.

Glad to hear that 320kbps could be hard for me to differentiate from lossless. Ipv, thanks for suggesting tidal. Am living in the US.

David: laptop does have bluetooth, but opting for chromecast frees me to select amps that do not, is my thinking. realistically, I won't make time to buy and rip cds, so let's stick to streaming services. the innuos looks like it may fit iii) above (agree?) but with additional capabilities I wouldnt use for 600GBP.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
soox said:
Thanks a ton for all the shared experience (and thanks David).

Biggest bottleneck sounds like it's using a laptop as a source. Could someone share, or point me to, a more technical explanation? Curious if i) laptops power output could sufficiently increase over the next decade, or ii) there is any workaround while still using a laptop, or iii) what I can be playing from instead (eg an addon device with high output that can play spotify?). Sounds like I need to figure this out first.
You'll get different opinions on this. One's from those who believe digital is digital and won't matter where it's coming from, and in certain systems, you probably won't need anything more than a laptop. Then you'll get other opinions from those who have tried alternatives (maybe in more revealing systems) and found better performers, like I did with the Innuos.

Glad to hear that 320kbps could be hard for me to differentiate from lossless. Ipv, thanks for suggesting tidal. Am living in the US.
Whether you can hear the difference will depend on whether you know what to listen for with compressed files, and what sort of system you're playing them on. whether you can hear a difference or not is only something you can decide after the experience.

David: laptop does have bluetooth, but opting for chromecast frees me to select amps that do not, is my thinking. realistically, I won't make time to buy and rip cds, so let's stick to streaming services. the innuos looks like it may fit iii) above (agree?) but with additional capabilities I wouldnt use for 600GBP.
DAC quality will affect how good your system will sound. I mention those amplifiers as they will generally have better DACs than a sub £50 streaming device, which will use the same sort of DACs you'll find in Sky boxes, entry level Bluray players etc. The better the system you plug this into, the worse it will sound - as the ad shows, it is marketed to plug into your TV. Digital outputs from these devices will always be beneficial, as long as you have a half decent DAC.

The amplifiers I have mentioned are very capable amplifiers, and even if they were stripped of Bluetooth and their extras like DACs, they'd still be value for money amplifiers, the Cyrus in particular. If you really wanted a purely analogue amp, you can buy an Audioquest DragonFly DAC to sit between your PC and a Rega Brio-R.

I mentioned the Innuos as you asked about high quality sources, and recommended you can buy CDs very cheaply and build up a pretty large music collection for not much money. If that is an aspect you're not interested in, then no, the Innuos isn't for you.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Mad One said:
Thats all youll need forget the Kefs ive had them and yes they're fab but compared to the avi speakers which by the way are are amp/speakers built in are a hundred times better.

Im using them and only ever use spotify premium and WOW they are the most complete package youll ever need.

Oh by the way did i mention youll not need any horrible black boxes clogging up your room.

Just the DM5 and airport express done..

SIMPLES..........

The Force is strong with this one.

TRENDING THREADS