Budget system upgrade - Any advice ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

davedotco said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
drummerman said:
lindsayt said:
drummerman said:
pazsnr101 said:
Thanks to evreryone who has replied. Im not very knowledgable so its good hear different opinions. All i know is im not happy with the current set up.

I definitely want to stay with CDP as the source - got too many to start changing but thats not to say i wont consider streaming in the future

Lots of options to consider

Thanks again

Streaming will cost you 30 quid or less to start with plus monthly subscription.

Must have.
£30 a month? That's about 20 CD's or 10 LP's.

I'd personally rather have the additional albums instead of the streaming.

Mmmhhh ... nop.

£30 or less for a Chromecast. You can stream from free or as little as a fiver a month if you don't want ads.

I also think that not using streaming as a source these days is a little like denying that CD existed in 1995 ... . At least as an enthusiast.

Each to their own but owning hard copies of media does not have to exclude the other.

You are denying yourself a world of music at your fingertips.

Imho.

I couldn’t be more with you drummerman. I do find it odd sometimes that people who are into hi-Fi aren’t into browsing a huge catalogue streaming site, you could never get in your cd collection. It seems a huge contradiction in terms to be into hi Fi for music, which one assumes is to be the aim, to deny music by no access to streaming.

I am not one of those people who like to play their favourite recordings over and over again. In fact, hearing the same piece of music, played in exactly the same way over and over again is anathma to me.

I am always on the lookout for new (to me) material, Spotify is just brilliant for that. I recomended someone on here to check out Brubecks Time Out album, so I had to give it a spin, this led me to try other recordings from saxophonist Paul Desmond, which in turn led to Gerry Mulligan and early stuff from Chet Baker.

This is how I love to listen to, and explore music, this one little exploration took me into ten or a dozen albums and I am still not finished, plenty more related recordings to try. This is essentially impossible for me to do without a good streaming service, the idea of being constrained by a 'collection' is something I really do not want to go back to.

Exactly. god forbid something I agree with you on.

if you don’t like it, it just comes off your favs list.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
drummerman said:
pazsnr101 said:
Thanks to evreryone who has replied. Im not very knowledgable so its good hear different opinions. All i know is im not happy with the current set up.

I definitely want to stay with CDP as the source - got too many to start changing but thats not to say i wont consider streaming in the future

Thanks again

Streaming will cost you 30 quid or less to start with plus monthly subscription.

Must have.

It's not £30 pm, its free, assuming you have a computer, maybe you don't.

The beauty is you can hear new music all the time, I got so bored with my same old cds and records, now I can discover new music which otherwise I would probably have never have heard. If you like them then you can buy the cd or vinyl. Before you took a risk of buying the cd, maybe after reading a review or hearing one track on the radio, thats why years ago I ended up with loads of cds that I hardly ever played, wastec loads of money.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
lindsayt said:
drummerman said:
pazsnr101 said:

Thanks again

Must have.

It's not £30 pm, its free, assuming you have a computer, maybe you don't.

The beauty is you can hear new music all the time, I got so bored with my same old cds and records, now I can discover new music which otherwise I would probably have never have heard. If you like them then you can buy the cd or vinyl. Before you took a risk of buying the cd, maybe after reading a review or hearing one track on the radio, thats why years ago I ended up with loads of cds that I hardly ever played, wastec loads of money.
Free? Where? How?

I discover new music all the time - over the summer months - when I buy vinyl or CD's on a pot luck basis.

I remember having a similar debate about buying sleeves for vinyl records a few years ago. I decided I'd rather just buy more vinyl and keep all my collection in the original sleeves.

If anyone is happier subscribing to a streaming service then I'm not going to argue. Do whatever makes you happiest.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
https://www.lifewire.com/most-popular-free-music-streaming-apps-websites-3485950

Some have adverts like Google, some you maybe able to block. I may try Jango not tried that one before.

Jango is more of a radio station, you can still access different artists but it's not as good as Spotify.

Buying old cds and albums is fine but what more current artists such as Aoife O'Donovan, Japanese Breakfast, Cigarettes After Sex, Juanita Stein and Big Thief etc. Anyway there seems little in my area apart from some over priced vinyl/cd sellers. In the 70s it was fine buying albums unheard, you knew more or less what you were going to get, if you made a mistake then it was easy to shift on with little loss. But now there very little I like.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
What about upgrading to a mid-range system. For exmaple, Onkyo C7070, Creek 50A, Focal Aria 926. The Focals should be fairly easy to drive as they have high sensitivity. The NAD 326BEE is known to have quite a lot of bass so am not suprised. You could try thw Focal's with the NAD and then upgrade the amp if you need. I would look for the speakers to begin with.

insider9

Blackdawn said:
What about upgrading to a mid-range system. For exmaple, Onkyo C7070, Creek 50A, Focal Aria 926. The Focals should be fairly easy to drive as they have high sensitivity. The NAD 326BEE is known to have quite a lot of bass so am not suprised. You could try thw Focal's with the NAD and then upgrade the amp if you need. I would look for the speakers to begin with.

Not quite unfortunately. The also dip to 2.9 Ohm according to specs and likely even lower in real life.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts