Budget system upgrade - Any advice ?

pazsnr101

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Have had the following for over 6 years now:

NAD C 326BEE amp, NAD C 545 BEE CD and KEF Q series iQ3's.

Ive never really liked the sound, far too much bass. on a lot of discs i'll whack the treble right up and the bass right down. Vocals are prominent but sometimes muddy sounding.My main musical tastes are around rock/indie but quite often guitars sound secondary to vocals on a track.

I would like to upgrade components but not all together. Budget ideally less than £1000 per item.

If you had to change one component which would it be first to achieve a more balanced sound with less bass ?

Or is it a case of within my budget your not going to get a significant difference to overall quality ?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Dave

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a pair of KEF LS50s would be the perfect upgrade for you.

BTW, do you have the Soft Clipping switch in the back of the NAD amp turned on or off?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Too much fat, uncontrolled bass and more midrange clarity required? Stretch to the ATC SCM11’s If you can. I have always got a minimum of 10% off a new hifi purchase from a dealer just by asking nicely, so you should be able to get within budget striking range...

rainsoothe

Hi. I agree with all the suggestions, but Croft Phono Integrated only if you don't mind not having a remote, and certainly not for pairing with ATC speakers, as those need more power. Also, ATC 11 over 7, but those still need some space around them, if that's a possibility. Also, add Naim 5si to your list.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If you are prepared to step outside the orthodoxy of mainstream hi-fi then there are just so many things you can do.

For example, right now there are a couple of uk pro dealers offering the Dynaudio Lyd 7 at just £750 pair, perfect for your style of music. As well as getting a super pair of speakers, think Emit M20 but better, you upgrade your amp too.

Drive them from the pre amp outs, you will need long cables at £25-30 pair and stands which you may already have. This will change your system for the better in almost all respects, power and punch aplenty and great bass control, a whole new system for less than £1k. Be aware, this is not 'pipe and slippers' stuff, this will wake you and your music collection up bigtime.

Down the line you can swap the amp for a dedicated pre-amp, be it analogue or one of the newer digital options which embrace streaming.

Up to you.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dave

If I personally had that brief, I would spend it as follows:

SOURCE: Linn Sneaky (are you prepared to do away with your CDP?).

AMP: Arcam A29/Rega Elex R/Creek Evo 50A/Croft Integrated.

SPEAKERS: Kef LS50/ATC SCM 7

I used to have the IQ9, so I know how they sound. The LS50s are miles better (imo). Also, the ATC are sealed, which would help if some of your bass issues are related to the room/speaker position.

Linn stopped making CDPs as their Streamers wiped the floor with them....so if you can see yourself going down this route you will get (imo):

- Much better SQ for the money spent

- More flexibility

- More reliability, as there are no moving parts.

The Linn Sneaky has a built in Amp, so can tide you over until you upgrade. I have heard it driving LS50s better than you'd expect. The ATC being less Sensitive, might be a bigger problem.

If the budget is tight, look for ex-dem deals....don't skimp for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds...If what you really like is just outside your budget, you may well regret not going for it (possibly costing more in swapping, in the future.)

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
You need new speakers, as someone said, you don't need to change source or amp, they are Fine. The iQ series was always meh. The LS5às are better, but you'll still have problems with the bass. Your best bet is the ATC as mentioned, Focal or Neat, but, even better, head down to your hi fi store with amp and source and have a listen to what speakers they have, then ask for a home demo.

By the way, you have checked your speakers are in phase?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
If he has too much bass I doubt speakers being out of phase is the problem.

ATC need some careful system matching I not sure the NAD amp. will be up to it. NAD have a rep for being a bit lacking in clarity. I would go with Dave's suggestion. Kef LS50s also need a decent amp to get the best out of them. Re bass it could be a room issue as much as the system. If you want more claity I would consider some active speakers.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
AVI, not because they don't make OK speakers, but because they seem to have virtually disappeared. Are they still going? Their forum is dead, and their website also.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
jjbomber said:
CnoEvil said:
SPEAKERS: Kef LS50

That would be my recommendation too, as they have very clear vocals. The important thing is that you have a listen. Most people will tell you what is best for them, but you have to find out what is best for you.

I found them to be very recessed in the mids and lacking clarity, so as JJ states you do need to try for yourself.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
If you want controlled bass and clear midrange I would ignore Kef LS50 passive and active version as both have poor bass and recessed midrange.. if you want masters of controlled bass and ummatched midrange clarity than go for Avi DM10.. these are active with built in dac and remote controlled preamp so all you need is source.. you have 2 optical inputs and 1 rca, new pair is £2000; on ebay atm unopened pair for £1500

you can read back on this forum when we compared Atc 11s with Hegel H360 amp next to Avi Dm10s and Avis were same or better.

some people here like new Acoustic Energy £1000 active spekaers more than Atc 11s

Dynaudio Lyd’s are good call too.

pazsnr101

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to evreryone who has replied. Im not very knowledgable so its good hear different opinions. All i know is im not happy with the current set up.

I definitely want to stay with CDP as the source - got too many to start changing but thats not to say i wont consider streaming in the future

Lots of options to consider

Thanks again

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
pazsnr101 said:
I definitely want to stay with CDP as the source - got too many to start changing but thats not to say i wont consider streaming in the future

Once you rip your CDs, little changes, except the SQ and the Flexibility. It's worth hearing a DS (or Naim), before committing (imo).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
pazsnr101 said:
Thanks to evreryone  who has replied. Im not very knowledgable so its good hear different opinions. All i know is im not happy with the current set up.

I definitely want to stay with CDP as the source - got too many to start changing but thats not to say i wont consider streaming in the future

Thanks again 

Streaming will cost you 30 quid or less to start with plus monthly subscription.

Must have.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
"for over 6 years now" *nea*

"If you had to change one component which would it be first" - amplifier. with nad 326 u will never know what your speakers can do, no matter which one u buy.

gasolin

listen to kef LS50 on youtube and despite being youtube the bass is good (even with my small genelec) and not bright

Or a pair of Genelec 820/8030 or one of the genelec g two or three's don't be fooled by there size, there are surprisingly loud and have a good bass

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
pazsnr101 said:
Thanks to evreryone who has replied. Im not very knowledgable so its good hear different opinions. All i know is im not happy with the current set up.

Thanks again

Streaming will cost you 30 quid or less to start with plus monthly subscription.

Must have.
£30 a month? That's about 20 CD's or 10 LP's.

I'd personally rather have the additional albums instead of the streaming.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
drummerman said:
pazsnr101 said:
Thanks to evreryone  who has replied. Im not very knowledgable so its good hear different opinions. All i know is im not happy with the current set up.

I definitely want to stay with CDP as the source - got too many to start changing but thats not to say i wont consider streaming in the future

Thanks again 

Must have.

Mmmhhh ... nop.

£30 or less for a Chromecast. You can stream from free or as little as a fiver a month if you don't want ads.

I also think that not using streaming as a source these days is a little like denying that CD existed in 1995 ... . At least as an enthusiast.

Each to their own but owning hard copies of media does not have to exclude the other.

You are denying yourself a world of music at your fingertips.

Imho.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

drummerman said:
lindsayt said:
drummerman said:
pazsnr101 said:

Thanks again

Must have.

Mmmhhh ... nop.

£30 or less for a Chromecast. You can stream from free or as little as a fiver a month if you don't want ads.

I also think that not using streaming as a source these days is a little like denying that CD existed in 1995 ... . At least as an enthusiast.

Each to their own but owning hard copies of media does not have to exclude the other.

Imho.

I couldn’t be more with you drummerman. I do find it odd sometimes that people who are into hi-Fi aren’t into browsing a huge catalogue streaming site, you could never get in your cd collection. It seems a huge contradiction in terms to be into hi Fi for music, which one assumes is to be the aim, to deny music by no access to streaming.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
drummerman said:
lindsayt said:
drummerman said:
pazsnr101 said:

Thanks again

Must have.

Mmmhhh ... nop.

Imho.

I couldn’t be more with you drummerman. I do find it odd sometimes that people who are into hi-Fi aren’t into browsing a huge catalogue streaming site, you could never get in your cd collection. It seems a huge contradiction in terms to be into hi Fi for music, which one assumes is to be the aim, to deny music by no access to streaming.

I am not one of those people who like to play their favourite recordings over and over again. In fact, hearing the same piece of music, played in exactly the same way over and over again is anathma to me.

I am always on the lookout for new (to me) material, Spotify is just brilliant for that. I recomended someone on here to check out Brubecks Time Out album, so I had to give it a spin, this led me to try other recordings from saxophonist Paul Desmond, which in turn led to Gerry Mulligan and early stuff from Chet Baker.

This is how I love to listen to, and explore music, this one little exploration took me into ten or a dozen albums and I am still not finished, plenty more related recordings to try. This is essentially impossible for me to do without a good streaming service, the idea of being constrained by a 'collection' is something I really do not want to go back to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts