Budget system or solo or cyrus

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I am after a new system but it will be poorly positioned in my 5m by 3m lounge, in a corner with the speakers either side on an LCD tv. 60% of use will be for tv with the balance for cd's of all different genres. I have listened to a cyrus 8 series amp with 6 series cd player based system, roksan system and an arcam solo, all with dali ikon 5 speakers. All sounded good but i thought the cyrus had the edge for detail but was also quite bassy. Question is this, Will the cyrus be wasted in my lounge with its limitations and will it sound too much for the size of room? Am i better off going for a budget system based around the rotel ra04 amp and saving a shed load of money? Can anyone suggest any better speakers for the cyrus or arcam as the shop i went to is a little limited in choice. Absolute maximum budget is £2k but quite happy to spend less

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
If you are looking at one box then I would recommend the Linn Classik with Some Linn/B&W speakers. I have this setup and it is awesome. I prefered it to the Arcam Solo by a good margin. I also demoed the Linn Classik against Musical Fidelity A5 cd player and Amp and I couldnt believe how little the margin was. The Linn astounded me to be honest with how musical it was. Ok not so detailed as the Musical Fidelity but for soundstage, imaging and depth of sound it did match. Detail was good enough for me hence why i purchased one. (ditched a Rotel setup for it so had to be great) Wouldnt change it for the world as it has many useful features and upgradability. ie adding a power amp or buying another cd player and using the amps to power speakers. So many upgrades available to it. Plus the resale value is excellent - some Linn Classiks over 6 year old sell for £400 plus.

If I was looking for a amp and cd package combined take a look at Audio lab as I recently heard there 8000cd Player and it is amazing. Combined with the 8000s amp you would be on to a winner. This system is 900 quid from Superfi.co.uk. Speaker I would stick with the Dali Ikons or Proac Tablettes as synergy should be fine soundwise. This would be well under your budget leaving you a few hundred for cables and racks etc.

Do not be put off by how cheap the Audio Lab system is. This is there top end cd player and I think it rivals many cd player at 4 times it price. So many people think more expensive is better. That is a myth. Also take a look at Exposure 2010 series amp and cd player. It is a party animal. Lastly take a look at Creek as they have a solid reputation for making excellent products at affordable prices.

Linn Classik+speakers+ cables+stands = £1500 approx even less.

Audiolab setup+speakers+cables+stands = £1800 approx

Exposure setup+speakers+cables+stands = £1900 approx

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Was also wondering how a separates system based on the Rotel RA04 and Marantz CD6002 would sound against a solo with the same or similar speakers. Cyrus is only worth it if a shedload better than the options, otherwise i will just save my money

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts