Budget streamer recommendations

Don L

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi
Am looking to add a streamer to my system which comprises Marantz 6006 amp and cd player and Dali oberon 5 speakers. Have around £300 budget. I already subscribe to Amazon hd and mainly listen to rock and pop from 1950s to 1980s. Some radio listening would also be good. Any hints/recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
For £300 the obvious choice of a Bluenode is over budget by £200. A computer-based solution like a second hand Mac Mini would work, but the 6006 doesn't have a USB input, so you'd need a separate DAC - Ifi Zen dac seems universally liked, £129, leaving £170 to cover streaming functions...its not impossible to stay within budget, but looking difficult.

jjbomber

An Echo Dot 4th gen would do that. Just use the headphone out to connect to the input on the amp. It also has 400UK radio stations and 10,000 world wide. Currently £50 but often come up at £30 in the Amazon sales.

Don L

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for replies so far. I quite like the idea of connecting an echo dot to my amp. Exactly what lead would I need and which socket would I connect to on the amp. I already have a 3rd gen Echo. Would that work or would a 4th gen be better?

jjbomber

I quite like the idea of connecting an echo dot to my amp. Exactly what lead would I need and which socket would I connect to on the amp. I already have a 3rd gen Echo. Would that work or would a 4th gen be better?
You would connect the headphone output to the normal RCA inputs on the back of the 3rd Gen Echo using an adapter or a 3.5mm to 2 RCA cable. If you already have a spare RCA cable, just buy an adapter for £1 or so.
Adapter like this:
Cable like this:

jjbomber

Hi. Thanks for replies so far. I quite like the idea of connecting an echo dot to my amp. Exactly what lead would I need and which socket would I connect to on the amp. I already have a 3rd gen Echo. Would that work or would a 4th gen be better?
If you want better sound, you could use the Echo Studio, as that has a 3.5mm digital output. You would then need a 3,5mm to Toslink cable, which then connects to the digital input of the Marantz and uses the superior Marantz DAC. I would use your existing 3rd Gen to start with, as it's basically £2 to set it up. If you want to upgrade to the Echo Studio, you need an adapter for 3.5mm to Toslink:

Don L

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
Listen on phone or cast to echo. Also have a chromecast. Also have Onkyo 6130 streamer but having big problems connecting to amp etc so giving up on that a bit

camcroft

iPhone or tablet is that using the Amazon app?
Your Onkyo is a network player not a streamer ( if I am not mistaken ) which I know nothing about.
If you can cast to your Echo then you can cast to your amp but you will need Bluetooth to get the signal to your amp. My system consist of an amp and the other things like cd player turntable but when listen to my Amazon Unlimited music I connect to my amp using an ifi Blue Zen which I link to my Echo Dot on the Alexa app on my iPad and then it plays through the ifi blue Zen into my amp. I have two of the Zen Blues on two different systems and they are fantastic okay they cost £129 but they are really good. I also play my Amazon music straight through a set of Bluetooth speakers.

Last edited:

camcroft

Is that the Alexa app if so read my reply above
other than that with the ifi Zen Blue you can just send it from your phone to the ifi zen which is connected to your amp and then it should play if you pair your phone with the ifi zen

Last edited:

Don L

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
Quite like the idea of the ifi Zen blue. Cost is reasonable and it is well reviewed. How would that connect to 6006 amp. I am not an expert by any means. Which cables would I need and which inputs would I use on amp. Thanks for all your help and advice

camcroft

I use a coaxial cable into the amp your amp has one my second system doesn't ( Marantz ) and I have to use RCA cable with that one. The ifi zen blue has a fantastic range of codecs so if your phone has a good codec then it should bring the best out of the zen blue. You would then connect the ifi zen to one of your digital connections on the back then you would choose that as your input on your amp remote control

camcroft

For sure. I us a coaxial cable. look on Amazon for AmazonBasics digital audio Coaxial cable 1.22 meters. £ 5.99.
I made my dot portable brilliant for outside bbq and the likes with this power base
Available from Amazon you just recharge it and away you go. this one is for a 3rd generation dot

Attachments

• 61P3amdhmtL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61P3amdhmtL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 4

Don L

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi. Am going to give ifi zen a go. Will post in a few days when hopefully up and running. Very grateful for all your helpful advice. Cheers

Don L

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi Ifi zen paired with my android phone and connected to amp. However I am unable to do anything with it. Trying to cast Amazon music to zen but phone won't connect. It says device not found. Am I doing something stupid. Help please!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts