budget speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just bought a mini system, its a TEAC CR-H258i (dab, fm,mp3cd,sd,usb) and I am really impressed for the price, particularly the DAB tuner, I am using an old (but expensive at the time) Maurdant Short MS 5.10 bookshelfspeaker pair, I have just realised that they are over 16 years old !!, they sound great, but my question is , have speakers advanced much (or any at all ??) and would I get even better sound from a 2010 award winning speaker....or would the difference be miniscule, I think I paid about £220 for these bookshelf speakers in 1993

Thanks

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new Teac CRH258i - this is a great integrated system and offers excellent sound with a good pair of speakers. The speakers you have are ok, but many speakers have come a long way since the early 90s - if you have a similar budget now (?) the Wharfedale 10.1 speakers are worth a listen.

A

Anonymous

I guess you will have to read a few [ lots ] of reviews of speakers in your budget.. If yours are working ok then it depends on whether you are happy with the sound.

Most of my kit is over 20 years old, the amp is 1977 and speakers earlier but sound great even compared with much modern stuff I have owned.

Its always nice to get new stuff but I have found that I often end up back with the old equipment on the rack
emotion-1.gif

£220 was a lot of cash 16 years ago, but the prices seem to have pretty much stayed the same at this end I think, it is competitive out there.

A

Anonymous

audioaffair:) the Wharfedale 10.1 speakers are worth a listen.

Great, thanks for the reply, I will check them out...cheers

A

Anonymous

letsannoytheneighbours:

£220 was a lot of cash 16 years ago, but the prices seem to have pretty much stayed the same at this end I think, it is competitive out there.

Thats so true, £220 was a fortune then if you factor in inflation, that was probably more like £400 or more....but as you say, prices have stayed the same, just bought my son a pair of Cambridge Audio S30s for £129.00, he uses them with his PC and an amp as a mega juke box with 5000 tracks on it, and they are great (not quite as good as my old MS IMO), I will have a good look around..thanks

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
mangizmo:letsannoytheneighbours:

Thats so true, £220 was a fortune then if you factor in inflation, that was probably more like £400 or more....but as you say, prices have stayed the same, just bought my son a pair of Cambridge Audio S30s for £129.00, he uses them with his PC and an amp as a mega juke box with 5000 tracks on it, and they are great (not quite as good as my old MS IMO), I will have a good look around..thanks

I owned a pair of the Cambridge Audio S30's and will say that I found them insightful but very much dependable on good quality stands with plenty of space behind them; get them toed in and in free air and they reward you with a very fine musical performance.

A

Anonymous

I recently demo'd The Wharfdales with Denon's DM38DAB and they did sound wonderful, however I then listened and bought Monitor Audio's BX2's. There was not a great deal in them but for me the MA's shaded it.

Goodluck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts