Budget CD Transport - Blu Ray player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently use the CD section of a two box Denon DF101 mini system as a CD transport feeding my Musical Fidelity V-DAC. Whilst I'm very happy with the overall sound from my part-DIY system, I would like to remove the DF101 from the chain, largely because I also have to have the Denon amplifier connected, purely to enable the CD remote to operate. I also have an old Sony DVD player, and I am planning to remove a few boxes from my rack by buying a new DVD or Blu Ray player, both as a CD transport and as a video source. Blu Ray would be nice but not essential.

I am unclear as to:-

1. Will a budget Blu Ray or DVD player output a raw digital audio signal that can be processed by my DAC? I was thinking of the Sony BDPS 370 Blu Ray, or a Cambridge DVD99?

2. If possible, are the options above likely to result in a significant difference in sound from my current CD transport?

Any alternative suggestions, on a max £150 budget, very welcome

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The answer to the first question is that yes it will, but of course the DAC will only handle stereo CD-quality or PCM signals, not multichannel Dolby/DTS variants.

The answer to the second part is really a matter of suck it and see: don't have any experience of using that Denon as a transport, so hard to make a call on that one...

A

Anonymous

A belated response to your helpful reply, Andrew.

After a chat with my local ever-helpful and knowledgeable Richer Sounds store, it was suggested that I trial a Pioneer BDP-LX70 as a CD transport. Software was even updated for me before collection. I was delighted with the sound quality and operation, and even more delighted with the discount price as an open-box item. It also fulfills my limited secondary requirement as a DVD player extremely well. The lack of compatability with the very latest Blu-Ray releases was clearly explained and is not an issue for me.

manicm

I could be wrong but there may be a caveat with using a Blu-ray player connected to a DAC when playing movies:

I have the Sony BDP-S370 connected through stereo analogue - and the sound is so stunning for movies that I'm sure a DAC would make no improvement here.

For music it may do - but here I suspect that for a budget player like the 370, the transport would be the weak link instead of the built-in DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts