Budget amp advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking for advice on a replacement for my venerable (20-year-old or so) Musical Fidelity B1 amplifier. I'm getting 'scratching' through one speaker and can only hear music through the other when the volume goes above a certain level. So I think it's time to retire it.

I have a pretty eclectic budget hi-fi system: Arcam Alpha CD player; Rega Planar 2 turntable; JVC analogue manual tuner (these three are all at least 15 years old); Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s, bi-wired. The BR2s are a bit punchy for the size of the room to be honest.

I listen to all kinds of music: classical to rock, choral and vocal, from Bach to Led Zeppelin and all points between.

With such an odd mix of components it probably doesn't matter what amp I buy. But I would like to try to get something that fits the rest of the system if possible. My budget is only £300 max... and £200 would be much better. I guess the obvious choice would be the Cambridge Audio Azur. Any other thoughts though... or in fact any other helpful hints?

Many thanks, Julian

T

the record spot

If you like the MF, there's the A1 (I think it is) on the Big Ears Audio website. He'll take offers as well, so maybe worth trying that route first if you like the sound. Usually sells stuff in very good nick and you can try out at home. Check with BEA and see what he says. I think the B1 would still leave the current crop of budget kit standing to be fair.

A

Anonymous

That is good advice, thanks. I didn't know that website. I have enjoyed the MF B1 for years and would be sad to see it go really as I think it's a pretty good amp in its class (as you suggest)... though I didn't realise it could posibly be better than modern budget amps. Maybe I should think about a service/repair for it as well from somewhere.

Thanks again,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts