Bryston b60r amplifier

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi. Just wondering if any one has had any experience with the Bryston B60r Amp? Looking to run it into Pmc db1i speakers and Exposure 2010s2 as source.Does this sound like a good match.?Can't demo due to distance but have the option to return if not happy. any thoughts on this combination. Thanks!

@damonster

As good as those DB1is are - and I'm a huge fan as you know - they can be bettered. The TB2s would be a better upgrade with the Pulse. I think I heard the B60r, certainly a Bryston entry-level, and IIRC the bass on the Pulse was tighter and better defined. The Bryston was better overall but, IMHO, wasn't worth the extra money.

Just because PMC are the UK distributor for Bryston, this doesn't guarantee a good combination. This happened when Marantz partnered Mordaunt Short speakers. Nah, not great.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Electro. I am not paying for brand new. Getting from authorised dealer used for £850. For that sort of money thought they would be worth a punt. As some reviews say pmc and bryston are a great match. Tucana would be nice but a few £££ more. Thanks for replying.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
damonster said:
Cheers Electro. I am not paying for brand new. Getting from authorised dealer used for £850. For that sort of money thought they would be worth a punt. As some reviews say pmc and bryston are a great match. Tucana would be nice but a few £££ more. Thanks for replying.

In that case go for it especially if it's sale or return, you should get the remainder of the 20 year warranty transfered to you as well .

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
The shop I brought it from I got my Pmc dbs from and my exposure dac which was recommended by them ,which I love .They seem to think it will be a good system match .so fingers crossed.

Electro said:
damonster said:

In that case go for it especially if it's sale or return, you should get the remainder of the 20 year warranty transfered to you as well .

Always assuming he is buying from a Bryston Dealer...

"When parties outside of the network of authorized Bryston dealers and distributors sells a Bryston product, Bryston will not honour warranties on those products.

Proof of purchase in the form of a copy of the bill of sale from an authorized Bryston Dealer/Distributor must be presented to obtain warranty service".

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Don't know how much of this is sales jargon but just found this from pmc website.

What amplifiers do we recommend?

At PMC we use Bryston amplifiers for who we are the UK supplier. As our speakers have been developed using their amplifiers and visa-versa, the combinations offers good synergy and excellent results, and we would recommend you audition Bryston amplifiers with our speakers if possible.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
damonster said:
Don't know how much of this is sales jargon but just found this from pmc website.

At PMC we use Bryston amplifiers for who we are the UK supplier. As our speakers have been developed using their amplifiers and visa-versa, the combinations offers good synergy and excellent results, and we would recommend you audition Bryston amplifiers with our speakers if possible.

This is completely true. All of Bryston larger actives (MB2SE-A, BB5SE-A and XBD-A) are designed with and use Bryston amplification. As a matter of fact the fabled "squared" series of Bryston amps, which included the classic 4BSST2, was an unofficial development collaboration between PMC and Bryston. I have been using Bryston with PMC for years and personally love the authoritative and neutral sound the combination gives. They are great partners so enjoy!

rainsoothe

damonster said:

That's what I knew as well. Also, I heard the DB1 Gold (which is the same as DB1i) on one of Bryston's more expensive integrateds, and to my ears they sounded better then the twenty series. The twenty series can be a bit too sharp sounding for me, especially on plucked guitars and such, but they (of course) don't sound bad. It's just that the DB1 Golds sounded smoother and boogie-er to me.

If you can do a home audition, even better.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
damonster said:

That's what I knew as well. Also, I heard the DB1 Gold (which is the same as DB1i) on one of Bryston's more expensive integrateds, and to my ears they sounded better then the twenty series. The twenty series can be a bit too sharp sounding for me, especially on plucked guitars and such, but they (of course) don't sound bad. It's just that the DB1 Golds sounded smoother and boogie-er to me.

The DB1 Gold was allegedly released as PMC's two-fingered salute to the Kef LS50. Kef allegedly photoshopped the PMC BB5S-XBD speakers out of a photoshoot they were doing for the LS50 at Metropolis studios. Peter Thomas (founder of PMC) allegedly got quite miffed by this and complained to Kef. Kef allegedly swatted PT aside so he released the "Gold" (arguably a better loudspeaker than the LS50) to rob some of their market share... allegedly...

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks pp,Al ears Gazzip. For replies and advice. Keep trying to reply to individual posts. But get what hifi error. Bloody frustrating. So had to do this in one as didn't want to come across as rude or ungrateful. Thanks all.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Electro said:
damonster said:

"When parties outside of the network of authorized Bryston dealers and distributors sells a Bryston product, Bryston will not honour warranties on those products.

Proof of purchase in the form of a copy of the bill of sale from an authorized Bryston Dealer/Distributor must be presented to obtain warranty service".
I think you are right on that Al ears. I don't think I will qualify for the warranty. I will have to take a leap of faith for their build quality.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
. Kef allegedly swatted PT aside so he released the "Gold" (arguably a better loudspeaker than the LS50) to rob some of their market share... allegedly...[/quote]Funny you should say that. I demoed the db1i next to the Ls50 in the same shop. l found Ls50 were better technically but loved the tonal qualities of the PMCs enough to choose them over the Kefs.

rainsoothe

Gazzip said:
rainsoothe said:
damonster said:

The DB1 Gold was allegedly released as PMC's two-fingered salute to the Kef LS50. Kef allegedly photoshopped the PMC BB5S-XBD speakers out of a photoshoot they were doing for the LS50 at Metropolis studios. Peter Thomas (founder of PMC) allegedly got quite miffed by this and complained to Kef. Kef allegedly swatted PT aside so he released the "Gold" (arguably a better loudspeaker than the LS50) to rob some of their market share... allegedly...

Haha, that's pretty nice, thanks for sharing

damonster said:
Al ears said:
Electro said:
damonster said:

I think you are right on that Al ears. I don't think I will qualify for the warranty. I will have to take a leap of faith for their build quality.

I don't think you will have any trouble doing that, they don't offer that warranty for no reason... ;-)

TRENDING THREADS