British Hifi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As I have joined this forum, I really like how people interact and giving eachother advice. Also I noticed that most hifi people are talking about is made in the UK. Now, I am a real fan of British hifi, but for example the country I am from ( Holland )they also make excellent stuff. Some names: Siltech, Van Medevoort, Audiostatic, Van den Hul, Karma etc. etc. And of course the same goes for German and American hifi . Is it because these brands are not well enough supported on UK grounds, or is there another reason?

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello there Mr (Mrs?) Ocean!

I suspect that although it might not come into a lot of peoples' thinking (please correct me if I am wrong) that the hifi industry in the UK is one of the last manufacturing industries that is still internationally recognised, and of which we can still be really proud.

We have manufacturers here who still make things from the ground up inside this country (as far as is possible). Compare that to our motor industry where unless you are lucky enough to be able to drive around in a TVR (now defunct I believe until some kindly soul buys them again) or a Noble, you just can no longer drive a "British" car.

I'm no patriot, but there is definitely some attraction to being able to buy equipment from a company that has a national identity, no matter where you come from.

Don't know why I was surprised, but it was nice to find out earlier today that Leema, for example, are a Welsh company. I did not know that!

Actually, maybe owning a Leema Tucana amp might seem as high end as driving a TVR to some folk, depending on where your priorites lie?

Anyways, welcome to the forum!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Omnibeard! First of all I am a Mr, as you might expected:)

When I worked in a hifi shop, we represented a lot of Hifi from the UK. The reputation of British hifi is just excellent. And I must say I really enjoy the no-nonense approach of the designers. And there is nothing wrong of being proud of what your country is capable of. But it wouldn't be wrong to look beyond your own borders also. In the Netherlands we have the opposite problem. The manufacurer of Sphinx (made in Holland) for example, they don't supply anything to hifi-shops in the Netherlands, simply because there is no demand. But they sell really good in France and the US. If you want a Sphinx, you can get one directly from its factory (like I did). In Mexico, where I live right now, is a total nightmare for hifi lovers. There isn't anything that would satisfy your ears. Only the most ugly gettoblasters with LED producing 1000000 Watts! When I pass by, I always walk a little faster....

Hello there Mr (Mrs?) Ocean!

I suspect that although it might not come into a lot of peoples' thinking (please correct me if I am wrong) that the hifi industry in the UK is one of the last manufacturing industries that is still internationally recognised, and of which we can still be really proud.

We have manufacturers here who still make things from the ground up inside this country (as far as is possible). Compare that to our motor industry where unless you are lucky enough to be able to drive around in a TVR (now defunct I believe until some kindly soul buys them again) or a Noble, you just can no longer drive a "British" car.

I'm no patriot, but there is definitely some attraction to being able to buy equipment from a company that has a national identity, no matter where you come from.

Don't know why I was surprised, but it was nice to find out earlier today that Leema, for example, are a Welsh company. I did not know that!

Actually, maybe owning a Leema Tucana amp might seem as high end as driving a TVR to some folk, depending on where your priorites lie?

Anyways, welcome to the forum!

[/quote]

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts