Bridgewater Hall vs Cd player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wanted to share this

It's been a while since I've been to a classical 'gig'. I went to see Mahler 2 at Manchester's Bridgewater Hall last month and am still gobsmacked by everything about it. I could bang on about the sheer brilliance of the music itself, the interpretation, the musicians etc. But this is a hifi forum. And I'll bring it back to hifi (eventually - calm down).

Lets ignore the sheer experience which is hard to do as it was simply breathtaking (and I have seen this symphony live before but my ears are more 'tuned' to listening for the finer things now).

What I wanted to comment on was the fact that never have I heard anything like the detail I heard on that night from any of the 12 different recordings I have of this particular symphony. No CD has ever made me sit up and listen to a triangle player and go "where the hell did that come from". Never have I heard anywhere near like the detail I heard that particular night from one of my most listened to and favourite pieces of music. In hifi terms - the balance, the detail, the resolution, the depth - was incredible. Simply amazing. Words cannot do justice (corny). It's 2 weeks on and I'm still awestruck by the whole thing.

So back to earth. Thank goodness for getting into hifi (only recently really) and taking time to listen to music for the finer detail. Learning to listen is a great habit.

And secondly - ignoring the experience of a live event which is obviously immeasureable at so many levels - can hifi come anywhere near a top class orchestra, and a £42m purpose built building? I'm reading September's WHF's 'Hi-end' magazine and I hope so.......

A

Anonymous

The Bridgewater is a great venue (& just round the corner
emotion-1.gif
) - size, location and sound - and the Halle are fantastic.

To be honest, I'd find it gutting if the experience of that night you recounted could ever genuinely be reproduced in everyone's front room. The event (& relative rarity next to shoving on a cd) makes it far more special than hifi could be.

A

Anonymous

jackdawclaw:What I wanted to comment on was the fact that never have I heard anything like the detail I heard on that night from any of the 12 different recordings I have of this particular symphony.

Do you like Mahler's 2nd?
emotion-5.gif

I don't think any recording with any equipment can come close, even with rock and pop. I live in Durham and we have the wonderful Sage, especially Hall 2 - which sounds amazing.

A

Anonymous

Is the message, we should get out more and switch off our hi-fi's? (standby only obviously).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts