Brands praise & positivity

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

I can only guess it's about demand. All of my local Marantz dealerships only get asked about the more affordable ranges. They don't stock any of the ref stuff. If you want to demo the more expensive Marantz amps it generally takes a while for them to order whatever model you want to demo.
Yep it's all about demand. How many working class members of the public are going to walk in off the street ready to offload 10 grand plus on a hifi system, not many methinks...

Plus if we use the Rubies as an example 1000 units of each were released worldwide late 2018, the final units probably sold late 2021. That roughly equates to 2 units sold per day worldwide... not a huge figure is it? I bet their cheaper siblings sell by the bucket load in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Al ears and Gray

robdmarsh

A lot of people on this forum seem to love Wharfedale speakers. I've wanted to love them but never got on with them. Over the years I've tried Diamond 9.1, Diamond 220 and Denton 80th anniversary. The middle ones were the worst, the others so so.
So Wharfedale fans, which is the must hear speaker in your opinions, bookshelf or floor stander?

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
There is endless brands that are overlooked; Vincent. German designed, Chinese made. Their tubeLine range is well worth looking at if you can find it.

Midrange equipment from well know manufacturers (like the high end Marantz talked about above) are seldom featured in reviews e.g., B & W 706 S2...anyone read a review of these?

Tinman1952

A lot of people on this forum seem to love Wharfedale speakers. I've wanted to love them but never got on with them. Over the years I've tried Diamond 9.1, Diamond 220 and Denton 80th anniversary. The middle ones were the worst, the others so so.
So Wharfedale fans, which is the must hear speaker in your opinions, bookshelf or floor stander?
Elysian 4 ? I would love to hear those in my room! 😁

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Although I haven't used any of his products for a while now, I'll happily add Graham Slee to this thread.
Great equipment that more often than not punches well above it's weight.

I'll also throw Lyra into the mix. I'm on my third cart from them now, but rarely hear anything about them here.

Reactions: Tinman1952
Yep it's all about demand. How many working class members of the public are going to walk in off the street ready to offload 10 grand plus on a hifi system, not many methinks...

Plus if we use the Rubies as an example 1000 units of each were released worldwide late 2018, the final units probably sold late 2021. That roughly equates to 2 units sold per day worldwide... not a huge figure is it? I bet their cheaper siblings sell by the bucket load in comparison.
Agree not many will have 10k going spare. Not many, in the main, will be upgrading the whole system. Some may just be looking at amp or CD or turntable or speaker upgrade. Think for around 2-3k is doable.

I deliberately mentioned Marantz cause I'm a huge fan. Since the late 70s, the first Marantz receiver was in Laskys, I've demoed a couple of their midrange models (PM 8003 & 7001) before buying my current amp. And, of course, I still own the retro tuner purchased in 79 that I still love

Not once, though have I seen a 14 model in the flesh.

manicm

The Lintons?

Agree not many will have 10k going spare. Not many, in the main, will be upgrading the whole system. Some may just be looking at amp or CD or turntable or speaker upgrade. Think for around 2-3k is doable.

I deliberately mentioned Marantz cause I'm a huge fan. Since the late 70s, the first Marantz receiver was in Laskys, I've demoed a couple of their midrange models (PM 8003 & 7001) before buying my current amp. And, of course, I still own the retro tuner purchased in 79 that I still love

here's a pic of the PM14s1se the day it arrived. you get an idea of its size and build at the side of the Leema, which is a well built amp in its own right.

Attachments

• pulse v marantz.jpg
    pulse v marantz.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 25
D

Deleted member 108165

here's a pic of the PM14s1se the day it arrived. you get an idea of its size and build at the side of the Leema, which is a well built amp in its own right.
Blimey that's interesting bigfish. Never knew you previously owned the Pulse and certainly never seen them side by side like this before, the Marantz looks huge in comparison. Do you think the Marantz brought more to the party or is the Leema a giant killer?

The Leema is a very good amp. I really enjoyed its sound signature and delivery. The built in phono stage is very good indeed. i Had planned on getting another Leema as it had impressed me so much. But when the chance arose to buy the Marantz, well I couldn’t resist.
totally different animals, and both are amps I could happily live with, the Marantz took quite a while to get used to, as it’s delivery was more delicate and detailed and I’m still wowed by it every time I use it. Build quality is (as you can see) amazing. And probably something I will keep a long time. Really looking forward to seeing how it gets along with the Triangles I have ordered.

robdmarsh

The Leema is a very good amp. I really enjoyed its sound signature and delivery. The built in phono stage is very good indeed. i Had planned on getting another Leema as it had impressed me so much. But when the chance arose to buy the Marantz, well I couldn’t resist.
totally different animals, and both are amps I could happily live with, the Marantz took quite a while to get used to, as it’s delivery was more delicate and detailed and I’m still wowed by it every time I use it. Build quality is (as you can see) amazing. And probably something I will keep a long time. Really looking forward to seeing how it gets along with the Triangles I have ordered.
Which Triangles are those?

Which Triangles are those?

ive ordered a pair of Triangle Genese Lyrr. Triangle have started making them again, they look almost identical to the Signature Alpha model, the spec is practically the same too.
from what I’ve read, the signature model is made in France and has updated tech, whereas the Genese are made in china with an older spec.
Signature is £7500 and Lyrr is £3100
at a glance, you’d struggle to see the difference.

robdmarsh

ive ordered a pair of Triangle Genese Lyrr. Triangle have started making them again, they look almost identical to the Signature Alpha model, the spec is practically the same too.
from what I’ve read, the signature model is made in France and has updated tech, whereas the Genese are made in china with an older spec.
Signature is £7500 and Lyrr is £3100
at a glance, you’d struggle to see the difference.
Nice. Well, I have a pair of Esprit Titus EZ and they are easily the best small speaker I've heard under £1000.

Reactions: bigfish786
Nice. Well, I have a pair of Esprit Titus EZ and they are easily the best small speaker I've heard under £1000.

it’s taken me 8 years of looking at Triangle speakers, mostly the signature delta and the Genese quartet to finally make my mind up and order some. I had considered the signature delta a few times when I’d seen them second hand, then I saw a review about the Genese Quartet being sold again by a few limited markets, so the chance of new quartets became a reality. Finally after staring at them in black for about a week, I decided I’d show the white Genese Lyrr to the Mrs, she thought they were beautiful, so that was enough to persuade me to order them.
just got to wait for them to get here now, hopefully not much longer.

Reactions: Al ears

AJM1981

Wharfedale had some fluctuation between excellent and good between series, though always quite steady. But they went from there to desirable definite purchases with the current line in my opinion. The reason is Karl Heinz Fink.

Biggest downside is that it should be really hard to improve from here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts