Brand new owner of Tannoy Eyris DC1 bookshelves, need an amp rec

supern00b

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

Brand new member of the community; thought I'd join since I took the plunge into the hobby after finding a deal for a pair of Tannoy DC1s on the web.

I am looking for a good amp to power these; was mainly looking at the Cambridge Audio AXA or AXR line but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

I'm mainly perusing the used/refurb market in the US. Budget is ideally sub-$500 <$1,000 USD.

Quick specs on the Tannoys: 110w RMS, 325W peak, 88db sensitivity @ 2.83 V/ 1m, 8ohm impedance.

UPDATE: Went for the AXA35 after reading rave reviews, edited post for upgrade recs instead.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Brand new member of the community; thought I'd join since I took the plunge into the hobby after finding a deal for a pair of Tannoy DC1s on the web.

I am looking for a good amp to power these; was mainly looking at the Cambridge Audio AXA or AXR line but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

I'm mainly perusing the used/refurb market, and prefer to have something with aptx hd Bluetooth capabilities built in. Budget is ideally sub-$500 USD.

Quick specs on the Tannoys: 110w RMS, 325W peak, 88db sensitivity @ 2.83 V/ 1m, 8ohm impedance.

Tannoy generally pander to a smoother amp. Something like an Arcam A39 (s/hand) would be a good match IME. Others you could look at are Roksan Kandy K2, NAD or Audio Analogue.

supern00b

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
Tannoy generally pander to a smoother amp. Something like an Arcam A39 (s/hand) would be a good match IME. Others you could look at are Roksan Kandy K2, NAD or Audio Analogue.

Appreciate the response. I sprung for a refurb AXA35 after seeing the rave reviews; what would you recommend for <$1k used for when I upgrade?

Appreciate the response. I sprung for a refurb AXA35 after seeing the rave reviews; what would you recommend for <$1k used for when I upgrade?
Any on Plastic Penguins list.....
We do not what know what the second-hand prices are like wherever you live unfortunately.

APOLOGIES:- Forget that, have just seen bluetooth capabilities built-in, although you are not doing yourself any favours there as it cuts down possible candidates greatly. Suggest you would be better getting amp and some sort of external Bluetooth module.

You can buy a new Audiolab 6000A for £599 in the UK, not sure how much in the States, this has aptx Bluetooth built in or the Cambridge CX81 if you can find one ex-demo or second-hand

supern00b

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
Any on Plastic Penguins list.....
We do not what know what the second-hand prices are like wherever you live unfortunately.

APOLOGIES:- Forget that, have just seen bluetooth capabilities built-in, although you are not doing yourself any favours there as it cuts down possible candidates greatly. Suggest you would be better getting amp and some sort of external Bluetooth module.

You can buy a new Audiolab 6000A for £599 in the UK, not sure how much in the States, this has aptx Bluetooth built in or the Cambridge CX81 if you can find one ex-demo or second-hand

Yea I should remove the bluetooth requirement. I'm in the US! The CX81 was definitely on the shortlist; I've been tunnel visioning on Cambridge stuff, so I haven't really explored other avenues, not sure if I've just been drinking marketing kool aid or if their budget/midrange stuff is actually that good, so I wanted to poll you guys here for other things I should be paying attention to.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts