brand new hard drive clicking

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
in the process of upgrading laptop and have swapped a wd scorpio blue 160gb for the 500gb,the drive works perfectly but has quite a loud clicking noise,wondering if i should replace,any advice much appreciated. :?

pantechnicon

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

A repeated clicking can mean there's a problem with the drive, as the heads are bouncing around unable to find the required data. However, that would normally be accompanied by some sort of error on screen, so perhaps it's just a characteristic of the drive.

Perhaps give it a few days to see if any errors appear.

P

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the reply,has been running a couple of days,bought from amazon so think ill return for a replacement,for peace of mind as much as anything,the old drive didnt make this sound.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
his dudeness said:
thanks for the reply,has been running a couple of days,bought from amazon so think ill return for a replacement,for peace of mind as much as anything,the old drive didnt make this sound.

Send it back. Hard disks should be virtually silent these days. Any obvious clicking is a sign of a problem. Amazon are usually pretty good at replacing stuff without asking stupid questions.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I wonder what the failure rate is on modern drives? I read donkeys years ago that it was quite high - something like in excess of 70% or thereabouts, before they even left the factories - and that's one reason why they were really expensive. They're cheap as chips these days so among other things they must've got the failure-rate down.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I wonder what the failure rate is on modern drives? I read donkeys years ago that it was quite high - something like in excess of 70% or thereabouts, before they even left the factories - and that's one reason why they were really expensive. They're cheap as chips these days so among other things they must've got the failure-rate down.

I had three Western Digital Caviar Blacks fail in quick succession earlier this year at about four years old. Western Digital replaced them with brand new ones, although sadly the old SATA 3 gb/sec ones not the new 6 gb/sec ones, without question. Five year warranty. I've got one more to go back, also failed, which I'll take care of next week.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts