a little advice if you may

Hoggy

Feb 12, 2020
Visit site
So after working most of Christmas due to the poor weather conditions I find myself with some cash for upgrading. I have decided that as most of my playback is via vinyl that a new deck may be in order. I have always had a hankering for a technics table and I'm pretty sure direct drive is the direction I would like to go in. What I don't know is the route to go. Do I try and find a good example of a mk2 although this now seems quite hard with massively inflated prices for un cared for machines? Or do I go new with either mk7 or 1500c? This will be my last ever table and have even considered the gr although I really don't know if I need to spend that much as tempting as it is! Also is the marantz phono preamp up to the job of doing the new table justice or should I look at an external along side the new deck or is the built in phono in 1500c ok for example? For info my listening taste is heavily influenced by reggae however the likes of Fleetwood mack, dire straights etc and even the carpenters are know to get a regular spin. Budget wise I probably have around £1500 however the less I spend on hardware the the more vinyl I can purchase, might even treat the wife, or maybe not! 🤣😂
All advice welcome guys, look forward to hearing your thoughts

If it was my last ever table, I’d try to get the 1200/10GR as I believe the 1500 is a rather lighter build. I’m not sure the external phono stage is really necessary as Marantz do a pretty good job.

You might be able to get a bit off if you shop around too. Or get a cartridge bundled with it at a reduced price.

Hoggy

Feb 12, 2020
Visit site
So i have contacted a few of the "bigger" companies regarding a deal for a gr, the best outcome ive had is a free at-vm95ml cartridge. Whats the general consensas on the cart?

daytona600

Ortofon/technics make a range based on the 2M for technics with built in headshell , PNP plug and play they just plug in seconds & work straight out the box
Nagaoka/Technics SL120GAE £4,000 55th anniversary model , NagaokaJT80 , this is now in the new 2021 range
Have a 1200G with a 2M black PNP myself
.Ortofon-2M-Blue-PnP-MKII-cellule-MM.jpg

.technics-sl-1210gae---black_15440_2.jpg

So i have contacted a few of the "bigger" companies regarding a deal for a gr, the best outcome ive had is a free at-vm95ml cartridge. Whats the general consensas on the cart?
I’d be happy with that, though the turntable itself has been offered at around £200 off on a couple of occasions if I’m remembering correctly. Over many years, however, the price isn’t what you remember but the quality.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts