Bose Wave for my Parents?? ..advice required please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My parents both in there early seventies are considering selling their bungalow and down scaling size wise , one of the things that my parents asked me about was about the Bose Wave system (DAB/CD player) to completely replace their hifi as space will be of the main issue , I couln`t recommend the Ipod & docking systems as my parents arn`t computer literate.. so the only other option would be to look at something like the Bose wave.... I know they are expensive , but considering my dad ownes a 5 grand hifi , price is not an issue but space ,ease of use and quality of sound will be...and he doesn`t want seperates again mainly due to space constraints

I`ve never heard one but hopefully be going to look and listen to some over the next month and wondered does any one own one and what is the quality like and ease of use...????

Any replies would be greatly appreciated and will pass comments on to my parents... thank you

Jotaboy

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Plastic looking, plastic sounding. I have heard one a couple of times (we have a Bose outlet nearby) dismal stuff.

If money is not an issue then what about a Meridian F80 ? (I heard one that accidently got sent to our local branch of John Lewis a few months ago and it was incredible.)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Well if you want thay type of system the Wave radio is not that bad... (I can't use italics on Google chrome for some reason!) However I would save some money and look at the Boston Acoustics CD Recepter system. We used to distribute Boston a few years back and that system blows the Bose out of the water quality-wise - when we stopped distribution there was a mad scramble of staff to get the remaining systems, that's how good it was... It can be bought for £350 or so from UK sites but I think the only downside is standard AM/FM radio which may be an issue IF they ever turn off the analogue (which keeps getting pushed back and would immediately render 99% of car radios redundant).

There was a similar system I think by Denon, also very good indeed but I can't find it online now, if indeed it was by Denon! For pure power and quality the Boston is the best of it's kind I've heard though.

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
"No highs, no lows, must be Bose!"

The Bose Wave system is a cracking little unit for the bedside cabinet or kitchen worktop, but it ain't hifi. I've had two of them over the last 15 years by the side of my bed and like the warm cosy sound for falling to sleep. The remote control is nice and simple, one where you don't need to see the buttons because your fingers remember where the main ones are. I believe that Bose also do a special oversized remote as seperate accessory.

If your dad goes from a £5k hifi to a Bose Wave system then he'll be disappointed I'm afraid.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd second the Meridian F80 if it's a high-end, one-box system your parents are after. Not cheap, obviously, but a thing of style as well as considerable hi-fi substance.

A

Anonymous

my boss has one Bose Wave in his room, I think he bought it for space saving and prestige consideration. But when I listen to it, my brother's Samsung micro hifi that cost only USD150 has a much better sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts