Bose QC15 and a headphone amp...

Franklioni

Jul 10, 2007
Visit site
There seems to be some differing opinions on whether or not noise cancelling headphones can benefit from a portable amp and/or DAC so I'm wondering if anyone here is actually using this sort of combo?

I have just purchased some Bose QC15's (after trying both them and the Parrot Ziks) and now have them paired with my HTC ONE, iPhone 5s and old iPod 5 (with Wolfson DAC) but I would be interested to know if something like the FiioE07 or E18 would improve things, especially as my other headphones are the B&W P7's.

If worth it then budget would be up to around £200.

Thanks

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
I have a pair of QC15s which I use on buses, planes, trains and other noisy places, and I find that they are great.

However, in such environments there is still a limit to the dynamic range I can hear clearly, certainly with classical music. While I have improved my home HiFi Sonos system with a DAC, I cannot imagine that a DAC would make a worthwhile difference to listening to my iPad or iPod through my QC15s in noisy environments.

I suspect that in a quiet environment, using similarly priced non-noise-cancelling open-back earphones would give better sound quality for the money than using a DAC.

Andrew

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Like anything in AV and HiFi - Speakers, including headphones will benefit from a good amp. Yes they can work well on thier own and be driven from a phone etc. But to get the best out of headphones - get a decent amp... like a Fiio.

TRENDING THREADS