Bookshelf speakers to partner Naim pre&pwr amp pair

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Dusted off the old hifi and it sounds pretty decent. The trouble is that my old Epos ES14s are looking very scruffy and are a bit too large for the available space in the room. I expect that there are plenty of modern alternatives that will give me tight bass control and the transparency that I want. I heard some Totem Dreamcatchers a while ago and remember them being very impressive. Can anybody recommend any others? Sounds like Neat Iotas should be on the list too.

System is Arcam CD73, Naim nac62, Naim nap90 and speakers TBD.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the idea. The Epic 2 reviews well and I will have to check out a pair. I have always rated my ES14S and people do say that there is characteristic sound that Epos has nurtured. It could be that the Epic 2 will hit the spot for me. I am a bit concerned that people comment that they need a reasonable amount of power. My Nap90 is a bit low on quoted output although it has always seemed more gutsy than the figures suggest.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I remember the ES14 well, but chose the MA 852s over them...good speakers though.

If they are not too big, the obvious choice would be the Epos Epic 2:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-3407-epos-epic-2-speakers-pair.aspx?utm_campaign=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle&gclid=CKbNjMer5bICFcfKtAodXkYAnA

Review: http://www.stereophile.com/content/epos-epic-2-loudspeaker

Epic 2 (WxHxD mm) 210 x 415 x 280

ES 14......................226 x 488 x 290

You could also look at the Kef R Series or LS50.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I used to own the NAC 62/NAP 90 combo with ES 14s...this is going back at leat 15 years! I eventually sold the ES14s and got a pair of ProAc Response 1 speakers which I found to be more musical and involving. So I'd recommend maybe the current Response D1 or the slightly cheaper Tablettes?

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the idea but they are a bit pricey. I can go to £600 but that is about it. I doubt I will get much back for the ES14S as they are old!

Epic 2 are, on reflection, too similar in size to the ES14S which does give me an issue with getting a small enclosure which can punch out the bass.

NJB said:
Hi,

Dusted off the old hifi and it sounds pretty decent. The trouble is that my old Epos ES14s are looking very scruffy and are a bit too large for the available space in the room. I expect that there are plenty of modern alternatives that will give me tight bass control and the transparency that I want. I heard some Totem Dreamcatchers a while ago and remember them being very impressive. Can anybody recommend any others? Sounds like Neat Iotas should be on the list too.

System is Arcam CD73, Naim nac62, Naim nap90 and speakers TBD.

Totems could be a stunning combo, but can't comment directly.

Really depends how far you can push your budget. I've heard Dynaudio Contour S1.4 with CD73 and Naim XS and that sounded pretty impressive. But Neats should be... ahem... neat, likewise PMC DB1is or TB2s. Others have had good results with Spendor SA-1, although to my ears, it didn't 'cut it' IMHO.

Hi NJB

Dynaudio's DM 2/6's and ATC's SCM7 monitors are also worth a look
smiley-smile.gif
In my experience Naim amplificaton pairs well with Dynaudio and ATC :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I doubt you'll find anything that will have the level of bass that the ES14's had, but you could try the KEF R100's. I'd say they're not that different tonally, but you should find things tighter and more precise, particularly as far as imaging is concerned.

the Tannoy DC6's will also be worth seeking out.

Look out for anything used by Neat as they're designed around Naim - although they are designed around the current Naim stuff, not the older stuff. I think the tiny Iotas will be a little bass shy for you, especially with the 62/90, but their larger models should work fine. You could also look at used ProAc and PMC models.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi!

Yes they DO!!! ;)

Today i've made an audicion with Naim pre amp/Naim power amp and, the Source was Naim cd player.

The speakers was (maybe by future ones) the great Dynaudio Excite X12

It was a delightful demo of the dyns!

My god, so much detail, sutch natural sound, for the first time i've witnessed the disappearing act of the speaker, the remain was just the music!

it's all i can say...

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanksfor all of the advice and recommendations. I have set up a dynaudio demo and will take along my pre/pwr combo to avoid the problem of new Naim sounding different. I would love to look at Totem Dreamcatchers but they seem hard to find, very few dealers around. I think a blind purchase is a non starter but I hope the dynaudios will cut it for me.

Nick

NJB said:
Thanksfor all of the advice and recommendations. I have set up a dynaudio demo and will take along my pre/pwr combo to avoid the problem of new Naim sounding different.

Nick

Hi Nick

Your welcome and nice one
smiley-smile.gif

Anyway, i hope that you'll also like the Naim/Dynaudio pairing :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts