Bookshelf speakers required for Teac Reference 300 mkIII

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

First time posting as I need help on speakers. My 4 year old son (God bless him!) has just poked his fingers into the metal tweeters on my Kef Q1's and from what I have read, getting the dents out is likely to be a non starter.

I have had the Q1's for a few years now and I love the detail but find them just a little bit harsh when I use them with the recently purchased Teac 300, particularly at higher volumes. They were wall mounted (to keep out of the way of my son) but I moved them back onto stands when I got the Teac to dampen down the harshness.

I guess that realistically the replacements may have to be wall mounted so I am after any advice on what would be well matched with the Teac. Budget is probably up to a maximum of £350 although I'd need a compelling reason to spend that much. I've seen reviews of the B&W 685 and the Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2, both of which sound good and, at a cheaper price range the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's. I have a pair of Wharfedale 9's in my kitchen which sound good coupled with a Denon DM37 but I want a bigger sound for my front room.

Auditioning is tricky as there appears to be nowhere much in my area that will offer it, although Richer Sounds offer a 14 day return policy and are happy for me to take speakers home to try.

I listen to all kinds of music, mainly on CD or via ipod input.

Any help and advice very much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

matthewpiano

Wharfedale 9.1s. My Dad is using my old pair with his Reference 300 MkIII and it sounds superb. Nice, large scale sound with plenty of atmosphere and detail.

Alternatively the Tannoy F1 Customs, but they don't sound as nice as the Diamonds.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
As MP said really; Tannoy F1's or the Wharfedales 9.1's.

If youre happy with 2nd hand; take a look at either the Acoustic Energy AE100's or the Aelite 2's. Both can be bought on eBay and the Aelite 2's are usually new from factory at a great price

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your responses - looks like its a trip to Richer Sounds to try out the Wharfedales.

Any other views / alternatives very welcome!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts