Question bookshelf speakers for marantz pm7000n

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
hi. need some advice and maybe i can get some help here.
just bought a new amplifier, marantz pm7000n, but i'm not very happy with the sound i'm getting from him in the listening room i have.
i'm using it with a pair of monitor audio rx2 but in a small room, very small, around 3x3 meters.
i really like the rx2 but the room is very small and i'm listening at low volume... highs are good and bass too but mid's are poor... to get good mid's i need to punch the volume but i can't because i have many old neighbors.
i'm thinking in a new pair of bookshelf speakers that can work good in small spaces and with low volumes... any advice that go well with this marantz?
i was watching dali's, kef , sonus faber, dynaudios... but i really don't have the chance to go to a store and listening before buying ... price till 750 GBP.

by the way, sorry for my bad english, i'm portuguese.

thanks

To my mind headphones might be a good option but if you must have speakers then some efficient ones are going to be best at low volumes. To my mind this might rule out Dynaudio but that's just me.
mission speakers spring to mind but you really do need to audition before purchasing anything unfortunately

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Kef's ls50 (now Meta) has, I would guess, a good balanced sound. I have not used the passive version so this is purely a speculation.

What I have used are Quad's S2. Superb.

Whether they work for you ...

Reactions: Al ears
hi. need some advice and maybe i can get some help here.
just bought a new amplifier, marantz pm7000n, but i'm not very happy with the sound i'm getting from him in the listening room i have.
i'm using it with a pair of monitor audio rx2 but in a small room, very small, around 3x3 meters.
i really like the rx2 but the room is very small and i'm listening at low volume... highs are good and bass too but mid's are poor... to get good mid's i need to punch the volume but i can't because i have many old neighbors.
i'm thinking in a new pair of bookshelf speakers that can work good in small spaces and with low volumes... any advice that go well with this marantz?
i was watching dali's, kef , sonus faber, dynaudios... but i really don't have the chance to go to a store and listening before buying ... price till 750 GBP.

by the way, sorry for my bad english, i'm portuguese.

thanks
Hi fernando

Do you have the speakers placed on dedicated stands or a shelf or cabinet? I appreciate it's a small room but how far from the wall are they placed? The reason for asking is the RX2 are big speakers, and as they are rear ported they need some breathing space to work at their best.

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
thanks for all reply's
well. since its a small room, i have no chance than put them against the wall... i know that i shouldn't.. but i have no chance... they are 15cm from the wall... i was looking for front ported design to minimize the effect or down-firing like some wharfedales... but my problem is that i don't have any hi-fi store near...
maybe an old design like kef q300 or q100... even the iq30...
thanks again for all your support.

Gray

maybe an old design like kef q300 or q100...
I've been playing about with some Q100 this week.
Really nice little (front ported) things they are.
I say little, like many of today's 'bookshelf' speakers, they're deeper than ideal. But I don't think you'd be disappointed with their midrange (or anything else about their sound really).
When they first came out they were £400, but that price soon fell and I would imagine you could get some for a bargain price now......which might make them worth trying.

EDIT: I forgot to say that, as standard, they come with wall brackets fitted - which could suit you.

Last edited:
Not full range, as theirs are more expensive at over £1000, but these might be of interest:-

thanks for all reply's
well. since its a small room, i have no chance than put them against the wall... i know that i shouldn't.. but i have no chance... they are 15cm from the wall... i was looking for front ported design to minimize the effect or down-firing like some wharfedales... but my problem is that i don't have any hi-fi store near...
maybe an old design like kef q300 or q100... even the iq30...
thanks again for all your support.
Given the room restrictions I would look at Neat Iotas. They are specifically designed work close to a wall.

manicm

I would look at

1. Dalis - they work right up against the wall.
2. Dedicated on wall speakers.
3. A satellite/sub option like the Cambridge Audio Minx 22 + Minx X301 subwoofer - I have experience with previous versions and they sound excellent. I would seriously consider this option as it would really free up your room. This also gives you a route to home theatre later on if you wish.

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
thanks again for your support ..
i'm looking seriously at sonus faber venere 1.5... what do you think? i like their style, front ported, and probably, will give that warm sound that i like... but don't know if they go well with PM7000N...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts