Bookshelf speakers for a small room?

kramer2020

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
I'm considering changing my large floorstanding speakers for some bookshelf speakers. My room is on the small side at 3.4m x 2.94m. Any ideas for speakers to compliment(?) my Yamaha A-S501 (its a keeper-no negotiable)

I'm considering changing my large floorstanding speakers for some bookshelf speakers. My room is on the small side at 3.4m x 2.94m. Any ideas for speakers to compliment(?) my Yamaha A-S501 (its a keeper-no negotiable)
Budget?
Do you already own stands or will you need those as well.
You might be better off money wise getting small floorstanders

kramer2020

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
Budget?
Do you already own stands or will you need those as well.
You might be better off money wise getting small floorstanders
Budget in the region of £400- £600 incl. stands. I have tried some very nice looking Dali Oberon 5's but I found the to be very overpowering bass wise for their size and my Wharfedale 230's seemed very mild mannered in comparison. This may be because the Dali's were rear ported whereas the 230's have down firing ports (the Dali's were well away from the rear wall)

Budget in the region of £400- £600 incl. stands. I have tried some very nice looking Dali Oberon 5's but I found the to be very overpowering bass wise for their size and my Wharfedale 230's seemed very mild mannered in comparison. This may be because the Dali's were rear ported whereas the 230's have down firing ports (the Dali's were well away from the rear wall)
For that budget you'll only have around 3-5 hundred for the speakers themselves.
Perhaps second-hand small floorstanders is maybe where you should be looking.
That or some smaller Wharfedale standmounts.
Can you actually audition anything?
Failing that look at second hand Totem Arro on eBay, you may be pleasantly surprised...

For that budget you'll only have around 3-5 hundred for the speakers themselves.
Perhaps second-hand small floorstanders is maybe where you should be looking.
That or some smaller Wharfedale standmounts.
Can you actually audition anything?
Failing that look at second hand Totem Arro on eBay, you may be pleasantly surprised...
Not sure the Yamaha 501 will have sufficient quality to drive the Totems. A better option would be PMC GB1. They slightly bigger than the Totems but have a front vent. My little A65 had no issues driving them.

Not sure the Yamaha 501 will have sufficient quality to drive the Totems. A better option would be PMC GB1. They slightly bigger than the Totems but have a front vent. My little A65 had no issues driving them.
That is, indeed, another option.
Looking at output of 501 I would suggest it has sufficient power to drive the Arros as they have the same spec as the GB1, if not to disco levels but doubt he needs this in a small room

Reactions: plastic penguin
That is, indeed, another option.
Looking at output of 501 I would suggest it has sufficient power to drive the Arros as they have the same spec as the GB1, if not to disco levels but doubt he needs this in a small room
Tricky one given how meagre his budget is. Also, if he can find some Usher S520 are very impressive. They were sub-£500 when new. But so few come onto the market.

Tricky one given how meagre his budget is. Also, if he can find some Usher S520 are very impressive. They were sub-£500 when new. But so few come onto the market.
Now that's a thought. Haven't heard Ushers mentioned recently. Once had my heart set on a pair of their mini dancers
Rare I guess as they are Taiwanese.
Perhaps the Triangle Borea BR03 might be worth looking at?

Witterings

In one of my rooms I tried various bookshelf speakers when upgrading from some Monitor Audio BX1's with a £500 budget and ended up with Elac B5.2's which I think are brilliant.

They're a warm speaker with lots of detail but in comparsion to the other's I tried give a much "bigger" sound and great bass for a bookshelf.

If you wanted an even bigger sound might be worth looking at their B6.2's as well.

matthewpianist

If you can find a pair at the right price give the JBL Classic 52L a listen. I own a pair and they're outstanding small speakers - balanced, open, detailed, and easy to position. When I bought mine they were £500 new, but they seem to have gone up considerably in cost, so it might be a matter of shopping around.

The other small speakers I would suggest investigating are the B&W 607s (around £330).

Either of these would work very well with your Yamaha amplifier (which which I am familiar).

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano
If you can find a pair at the right price give the JBL Classic 52L a listen. I own a pair and they're outstanding small speakers - balanced, open, detailed, and easy to position. When I bought mine they were £500 new, but they seem to have gone up considerably in cost, so it might be a matter of shopping around.

The other small speakers I would suggest investigating are the B&W 607s (around £330).
Indeed. I was going to suggest the latest 607's but, being rear ported they might be difficult to place in a very small room

Reactions: matthewpianist

matthewpianist

Indeed. I was going to suggest the latest 607's but, being rear ported they might be difficult to place in a very small room

Dad has a pair set quite close to the wall in a relatively small room, and they work very well. The two-part bungs B&W supply are also very useful, though Dad isn't finding the need to use them. Like me, he prefers a well balanced sound.

Reactions: manicm and Al ears

Witterings

I owned the 607 S's in between the Monitor Audio BX1's and the Elacs and sold them for quite a loss and kept the Elac's having back to backed them with a speaker switch .... too bright and not the depth of the Elac's but just my experience.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
607s are a good shout and would benefit from the Yamaha’s hefty power supply. I enjoyed the sound of them but they are best in small rooms or nearer-field listening.
lots of options, but I found QAcoustics paired well with Yamaha amplification. I’d throw the Concpet 30s into the mix, or the newer 5020s.
QAcoustics make very good speakers for the money.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site

Either of these would work very well with your Yamaha amplifier (which which I am familiar).
A speaker I’m very keen to hear. I keep looking for the bargains but not much around.

Reactions: matthewpianist

record_spot

Going back a year or ten, but if you ever get the chance to try the diminutive Tannoy DC4 as New Old Stock, snap them up. Better bass than you might expect, midrange to die for and a finish not readily seen in sub-£500 speakers. Tannoy's dual concentric drivers are a bonus.

AJM1981

I have experience with B&W, Tannoy and Wharfedale but when I would recommend a small bookshelf speaker that blows minds I would recommend the Madison bs4, 70 to 75 euros a pair.

paire-d-enceintes-hifi-madison-mad-bs4wh-60w-blanche-neuve.jpg

Simple but extremely underpriced performance wise :)

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
There's a set of mint Concept 40's on the Wam for £350 atm. That's a lot of speaker for the cash and would pair well.

Floorstanders of course, but by the time you add stands there's not all that much difference in space anyway.

Reactions: Al ears
That's perhaps a question for another thread......
You buy a brand new pair of Concept 40s for £499 from SSAV.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I love my Martin Logan LX16s, with their remarkable tweeters. These appear to be the Motion 15is of today, but I'd study the question. I complement these with Wharfedale Diamond 225s which are a great buy. The superior tweeter and warm base of the Martin Logans on my A speaker setting suffice for 80 percent of my music, and the somewhat but clearly better or greater bass of the Wharfedale Ds on B fill out nicely on certain albums or tracks . I think they're 5 and 8 ohm units respectively. A Rotel A12 integrated powers and controls my 2-channel setup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts