blu ray

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gel:No I meant 1080i please read clearly
emotion-2.gif

Ok, not sure I see what your point is then, there's no real advantage of 1080i over 720p, indeed, as far as I know, most screens that can only go up to 1080i are in fact 720p screens. I'm not aware of any screens that have 1080 lines that can't do 1080p (other than the one I mentioned). 1080i is not considered to be FullHD, any more than 720p is.

D

Deleted member 2457

There's no real advantage?

My philips is 1080i

I have never said 1080i is full high definition please read CLEALY

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gel,

if you don't stop provoking pointless arguments in every thread to which you contribute, I am afraid you and these forums are going to have a parting of the ways...

A

Anonymous

Don't forget the enhanced audio...my first Blu Ray was Blade Runner, and whilst it looked great, I was even more astounded by how good it sounded...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gel:There's no real advantage?

Nope.

My philips is 1080i

Yes, because it only has 768 lines, in other words it's a 720p set, just like all those 720p plasmas that can also handle 1080i.

I have never said 1080i is full high definition

No, that's right, you didn't, what you said was:

Most people with plasma's have only 720p screens... Where as lcds a lot start at 1080i

a 720p screen and a 1080i screen are usually the same thing.

please read CLEALY

Well, quite...

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
gel:

Of course 1080p plasma's are fantastic with blu ray but then there is the buzzing.

Is that factual enough for you bigboss.

I've had my 50" Plasma for a year and it doesn't Buzz

D

Deleted member 2457

I go and look at who started the confrontation on this page it was bigboss who comfronted me

And on another one I said I did not want to talk about the pioneer anymore.please ask Clare

Also on the other I was asked what I thought!

A

Anonymous

Acciesboy:Don't forget the enhanced audio...my first Blu Ray was Blade Runner, and whilst it looked great, I was even more astounded by how good it sounded...

I also have Blade runner on BD & DVD and I Honestly didn't notice THAT much difference between them except possibly the sound.

Brilliant film though
emotion-21.gif

to stir things a bit
emotion-2.gif
My daughter has a phillips 42"LCD and I thought it looked quality with Blu ray through PS3 compared to DVD

on the other hand my Kuro looks quality with every thing else and NO buzzing
emotion-4.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

How are you finding your pioneer sc-lx82 piobob?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I'm always kinda confused by these threads. Yes, there's a lot of sub-standards Blu discs out there, but there's also a lot of very good ones. Must be exceedingly bad luck if people only own the bad ones
emotion-1.gif

I dunno if people are sitting too far away from the screen, their settings are incorrect, or there's something wrong in their set-up, but there's definitely something wrong, somewhere.

I can see a clear difference with a semi-decent Blu-Ray, over the best DVD, even on a 37" screen. On bigger screens, the diffference just gets more and more pronounced.

A

Anonymous

if you read bluray reviews it obviously helps to avoid the poor ones , full metal jacket , terminator 2 , are terrible , i am legend , 2001 a space oddessy , dr no , are very good , but i think there are a few in between , independance day , unforgiven , are not much better than a good upscaled dvd , i bought a few from xtravision , most 15 euros , some good some not , if you stick to big name movies at higher prices you will probably be happy , but delve into the cheapies , and there are qute a few lemons about ...

A

Anonymous

i have a 42 panny x10,its only 720p.i am now looking for a stand blu-ray player but after trying to work out which one i still don,t know.i normally buy products on the basis of how many stars what hi.fi have given them,but after buying my x10 given the 5 stars buy what hi.fi i wont be doing that again,i think there guys are to generous with there stars,me myself would rate the x10 as 3 stars and now its as low as £525 then possibly 4 stars.after reading so many reviews of buyers from products that these guys have rated 5 stars and product buyers have rated them less stars.i sometimes wonder if they get paid to big up products.hope not..i now what hi fi people will come back at me with the same old stoey that they rate products on the value but when your giving 5 stars for products its makes people think that the product is hot.e.g the x10,the sony 360,come on guys sort yourselfs out...

A

Anonymous

gel:How are you finding your pioneer sc-lx82 piobob?

Sorry Gel, ain't got it yet, just thought I'd put a signature in as it's been a while,and I got all excited
emotion-2.gif

Shoul get it next week with all the other gear in my sig .........Let you know then
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

does anyone know if , dances with wolves is out on bluray ??

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:
I agree with manicm that there's no point in buying blu-ray discs of films more than 2 years old. Look at I am Legend, The Dark Knight, Ice Age 3 on blu-ray & you'll know the difference between a DVD & a blu-ray.

I disagree - some older films look amazingly good on BD, eg the early Bond films, Bullit, Bonnie & Clyde, Cool Hand Luke.

I find some BDs of recent films to be disappointing, possibly because I expected them to look better.

Besides which, I wouldn't base my buying decisions purely on technical quality!
emotion-5.gif

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
maxflinn:does anyone know if , dances with wolves is out on bluray ??
Yes it is maxflinn,Its in hmv stores at a respectable £13.99.the sound is stunning and a very good picture.

A

Anonymous

sonycentre:maxflinn:does anyone know if , dances with wolves is out on bluray ??
Yes it is maxflinn,Its in hmv stores at a respectable £13.99.the sound is stunning and a very good picture.

It's available for £12 on amazon and play. And what a great film it is! I have the 3 disc director's cut on dvd. I watched it again recently and it is one of only a handful of films I'd consider re-purchasing on BD. However, I decided against it because I've only watched my dvd twice in the 5 or 6 years I've owned it after importing it at full price from the US, so on a cost per watch basis, it's not really worth buying again. The other thing was that the BD release is only the theatrical cut, clocking in at "only" 180mins against the 4hrs that the DC lasts (see reviews). Also, I'm perfectly happy with how it looks on dvd upscaled.

Again though, what a great film.

A

Anonymous

bonnie0523:

i have a 42 panny x10,its only 720p.i am now looking for a stand blu-ray player but after trying to work out which one i still don,t know.i normally buy products on the basis of how many stars what hi.fi have given them,but after buying my x10 given the 5 stars buy what hi.fi i wont be doing that again,i think there guys are to generous with there stars,me myself would rate the x10 as 3 stars and now its as low as £525 then possibly 4 stars.after reading so many reviews of buyers from products that these guys have rated 5 stars and product buyers have rated them less stars.i sometimes wonder if they get paid to big up products.hope not..i now what hi fi people will come back at me with the same old stoey that they rate products on the value but when your giving 5 stars for products its makes people think that the product is hot.e.g the x10,the sony 360,come on guys sort yourselfs out...

If you look on amazon, you'll see that the average rating of the 37" and 42" x10 was 5 stars over 40 reviews.

If What HiFi got paid to give 5 star ratings, in this case to a Panasonic TV, why did the V10 get 4 stars, their high-end flagship set the Z1 get 3 stars, and one of their lcds also receive 3 stars. Surely they would be giving Panasonic consistently exceptional reviews on their top of the line products, not on their entry level plasmas.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
ElectroMan:bigboss:

I agree with manicm that there's no point in buying blu-ray discs of films more than 2 years old. Look at I am Legend, The Dark Knight, Ice Age 3 on blu-ray & you'll know the difference between a DVD & a blu-ray.

I disagree - some older films look amazingly good on BD, eg the early Bond films, Bullit, Bonnie & Clyde, Cool Hand Luke.

I find some BDs of recent films to be disappointing, possibly because I expected them to look better.

Besides which, I wouldn't base my buying decisions purely on technical quality!
emotion-5.gif

I keep hearing about these great transfers of old films. Now, i havent seen them, but theyre greater than 1080p to begin with (so it stands to reason that they could transfer well) and so many people say it that im inclined to believe it.

I think it is dissapointing if mor erecent films dont come up to snuff tho. A friend of mine who recently got a ps3 even stated that he needed to change his picture settings to suit different blurays. Mind, that could mean a few things i guess.

Im going to get TDK or BB on DVD to compare to my Bluray copy.

A

Anonymous

bonnie0523:

Have you played with the picture settings Bonnie? Can't believe a Panasonic plasma not being very good (apart from dynamic mode)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts