Blu-ray players with HDMI 2.0

Ad_87

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I've just bought a new 4k tv and I want to get a new bluray player. I've read about the new Panasonic

Having hdmi 2.0 but it's a tad too expensive.. What other players are there with hdmi 2.0?

If there aren't any others what is the best player for up scaling content to 4k for around about £350.

Would the quality be better with the hdmi 2.0 player to a tv with hdmi 2.0?

Thanks.

To answer your questions:

1) Panasonic and Sony will come out with HDMI 2.0 players in the coming months, catering to all budgets:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/panasonic-reveals-six-strong-range-of-blu-ray-players

2) Which TV have you got? The 2014 4K TVs I've seen from Samsung, Panasonic and Sony are superb upscalers to 4K. I don't think a blu ray player can better that. So don't worry about it.

3) The only advantage of HDMI 2.0 enabled player is the ability to display 4K content at 50/60fps (current HDMI standard supports 4K at 24fps which most films are shot in), if you decide to use the Netflix 4K app on the blu ray player (not TV) or connect a 4K device like a camcorder or camera to the blu ray player. If not, ANY blu ray player will be equally good (not just HDMI 2.0 ones).

Ad_87

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply. How many are out now? I've seen the top end Panasonic for sale but can't seem to find any other makes selling players with HDMI 2.0.

So if I used a cheaper player the tv would upscale even if the player couldn't? And this would likely be not far off what the player could achieve?

So using Netflix on a player with HDMI 2.0 I would have a better viewing experience than loading netflix from another source? Including the Hdmi 2.0 tv itself?

Sorry for all the questions.

Adam.

P.s. The tv I've bought is a Samsung UE48HU7500

Your TV will upscale all pictures fed to it, to 4K. and Samsung TV has the best upscaler I have seen yet. Check my thoughts on the TV shootout I attended 5 weeks ago:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/the-ultimate-shoot-out?page=3

Samsung TV also has the Netflix 4K app built-in. In your case, unless you want to connect your camcorder to view 4K movies you shot, you don't necessarily need a blu ray player with HDMI 2.0. Any blu ray player will be equaly good.

If you still want a player with HDMI 2.0, they will be coming into the market over the next 2-3 months.

Ad_87 said:
Thank you for the replies. What would be your preference between the Panasonic bdt700 and the Oppo bdp103d?

I think it depends on what you want out of the player. I would prefer the Oppo.

Oppo is a universal player which plays all formats you throw at it. Plus, it has additional features over the Panasonic (except that the Oppo lacks HDMI 2.0). Also, the Oppo is a better upscaler than the Panasonic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts