Blu Ray Player or Media Streaming ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been considering buying a Blu Ray player for a while but recently my tely has been bombarded with adverts for Netfix and other film streaming options. Now we have had superfast broadband installed I just wonder whether it is wise investing in expensive Blu Ray discs when this medium may be going the way of the Dodo. Any comments ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Depends really. Blu-ray won't be disappearing any time soon - there'll be sufficient demand for a disc based medium for at least the next few years (in the UK at any rate). Also, once you buy a Blu-ray disc, it doesn't disappear. So as long as you have a Blu-ray player available, you can always watch that disc. In that sense, "investing" in Blu-ray discs isn't really that risky (after all, I am still able to play all my DVDs and even VHS tapes today if I really wanted to).

There's also no chance of getting the kind of picture or sound quality that you can get from Blu-ray through a streaming solution any time soon - so some films will definitely benefit from being played on Blu-ray. But having streaming solutions will certainly augment any home movie collection, since it gives you instant access to any film offered by that service (though be warned, Netflix's choice is apparently fairly limited at the moment, so shop around and use free trials where available).

It may be worth buying this to ensure your investment doesn't go wasted:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/01/sony-nsz-gp9-google-tv-blu-ray-disc-player/

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2012-sony-launches-google-tv-powered-blu-ray-and-network-media-players

You'll get the best of both in one.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
The promise of the sony system being able to connect to Apple devices is interesting, i wonder what they mean by that? The Sony could be on my shopping list too

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
WILLDEWHURST said:
I have been considering buying a Blu Ray player for a while but recently my tely has been bombarded with adverts for Netfix and other film streaming options. Now we have had superfast broadband installed I just wonder whether it is wise investing in expensive Blu Ray discs when this medium may be going the way of the Dodo. Any comments ?

I subscribed to a free one-month trial of Netflix over the weekend on my Apple TV and wished I hadn't bothered. The choice of films was rubbish. Have already cancelled my account in iTunes.

John Duncan

I've tried several services and tbh I think video streaming has a long way to go. I find it easier nipping down Blockbuster, and when reasonable bluray players are available for 70 quid, it seems churlish not to.

John Duncan

Hmm. Manual says: "Supported USB drives must be formatted with the FAT (File Allocation Table), FAT32 or NTFS (New Technology File System) file system"

The NTFS surprises me though, I think it's lying. Are you a windows user or Mac, manicm?

John Duncan

Right I've just tried two discs, one formatted FAT32 and the other NTFS, and they both worked fine with FLAC content, so a few questions:

- What's on the disc?
- It's not formatted HFS for Mac?
- Have you tried the rear USB to see if it's a socket problem?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts