Blu-ray loading time?

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I thought this doc had DVD loading time info included but it doesn't but as it's quite useful, I'll post it anyway. I use a PS3 and rarely watch SD DVD anymore and as the PS3 is pretty quick at loading discs in comparison to most of the stand alone machines so I can't really comment on the loading time. If I get time this afternoon, I'll see if I have a film on both DVD and BD to compare but hopefully someone with a standalone unit (do you have your eye on a particular machine?) will be able to answer.

Bluray player loading time comparison

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
My Sony BDP-S550 loads DVDs much faster than Blu-Rays. I'm pretty sure it's all the BDLive Java gumpf which causes the slow loading times on Blu-Rays so this shouldn't affect DVD loading times.

A

Anonymous

My Pioneer BDP51-FD takes an age an a day, just to turn on. Once it's on, it's pretty slow at either starting a DVD or playing a CD. Really spectacularly unimpressive until you get the picture and sound. Which makes up for it a bit.

Rubbish user experience. What a bunch of monkeys they are, bringing out the successor to DVD and inadequately equipping the players to be a step on from the DVD experience.

When you think how amazing it was going from VHS to DVD it's like a whopping step back using a BluRay player. They can't even default onto the HD soundtrack on BluRay disks. What do the manufacturers need, lobotomies?

Ahh, that's better, rant over!

mjs

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Panasonic BPD 35, can take an age to load BluRay-seems to vary by disc, but loads DVD as fast as any DVD dedicated palyer.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:They can't even default onto the HD soundtrack on BluRay disks. What do the manufacturers need, lobotomies?

Some do, some don't. I'm pretty sure this is down to the studios who make the disc rather than the hardware manufacturers. I suspect as more and more people get Blu-Rays systems with high defintion surround systems, the default will change. This is already looking to be the case as most new films I get these days automatically select the HD soundtrack.

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

I just wish you could buy Blu-Ray discs with or without the, (IMO) daft bells and whistles.

I just want HD picture and HD sound - full stop !

This would also surely lead to quicker load times ?

If it wasn't for the sound I honestly think I would just buy a top of the range upscaling DVD transport which would also save me money on discs.

Cheers (mini rant over)

A

Anonymous

I've got the BD-35 and it's quite quick on BD load times only exception was X Files 2 which took ages to load, but it did have 2 versions of the film on there, unfortunately they were both awful.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Will Harris:My Pioneer BDP51-FD takes an age an a day, just to turn on. Once it's on, it's pretty slow at either starting a DVD or playing a CD. Really spectacularly unimpressive until you get the picture and sound. Which makes up for it a bit.

Rubbish user experience. What a bunch of monkeys they are, bringing out the successor to DVD and inadequately equipping the players to be a step on from the DVD experience.

When you think how amazing it was going from VHS to DVD it's like a whopping step back using a BluRay player. They can't even default onto the HD soundtrack on BluRay disks. What do the manufacturers need, lobotomies?

Ahh, that's better, rant over!

You're not wrong! The Pioneer is very slow, and as you say it takes a while for it to realise it's a DVD and not a BD.

I also think that, at the moment at least, Blu-rays are far too gimmicky. Just because it's possible to overlay the extras menu over the film as it's still playing doesn't mean it's a good idea!

It's like the studios are still playing with a new toy. Mind you, it could also be to demonstrate why the players and discs are more expensive than DVD.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, I was starting to think that getting a BD player wasn't such a good idea, but you've reassured me that they will (at least) play DVD relatively quickly (still got to get past those pesky anti-piracy warnings though!).
Thanks for the loading time info d4v3pum4, interesting reading, I was considering a Panasonic DMP-BD35, which seems to fare pretty well by comparison.
Having said that, by the time I pull my finger out there probably won't be any '35s left so I'll have to get a BD60!!

A

Anonymous

Love my PS3, it does everything so well.

Loading times are so quick in comparison due to its clever processing, and wireless internet to boot!

The only fault is it cannot Bitstream HD sound formats, but I find DD gives better sound presentation on most Blue rays processed through my system.

Apologies for the grief I gave you on that issue Prof!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
My problem with the '35 is that it takes ages to even be able to open the damned tray! After that, the rest feels like a breeze, for BRs or DVDs. Except when i try to skip early on to the menu it tells me it cant do it for some reason, then a little later itll do it.

But yes, i do wish they would stop with the emperors new clothes act. Im sure the financial world wouldnt grind to a halt if they di for just a wee while...!

However, you then have to wonder why you get folk like me complaining, but who own BDPs, have nominal film collections, rent mostly DVDs (because thats still mostly whats out there), rely only on the speakers on their TVs, and Tvs which are too small, arguably, to give the benefit of BR anyway...Go figure, then let me know.

(A while ago there was a feature in the news section about players loading slowly as they were, allegedly, trying to access the net so the studios can keep tabs on us. Was there any follow up to this?)

A

Anonymous

When first using my Sony S350 I found the loading time with blurays discs shocking. Coming from DVDs, it did feel like an awfully long time. Since updating to Profile 2.0 though things have much improved and loading times are now in the acceptable range I'd say. Can't wait for Profile 3.0 then I say...
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

I have a Sony 350 which I think is fine for loading discs. What really gets me is the fact that some discs hang up waiting to select a language before they load fully, and discs like Cars where you have to manually skip through the trailers before the disc loads. GRRRRR!!!!

A

Anonymous

My experience of the Sony BDP-s350 is that most DVDs load and play (without going to the menu) in under 5 seconds if its left in quick start up (i.e. warm) mode.
Blu-rays differ depending on Java content I guess. most are up in about 20 seconds with a natty little loading screen which is there for about 5-10 seconds.

Its all pretty harmless on the Sony.

Some of the other (older) machines are painful though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts