Blu-ray HD audio - hdmi or analogue interconects. Which is better?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:As the title suggests. I'm assuming that hdmi is the obvious answer but have no real idea as to why. Also, would better quality interconnects make a difference to the alternative connection?

Does anyone have an opinion/advise on this??

A

Anonymous

Gerrard, Do you mean if you are running analogue cables from a hd audio dvd source liek a pana dmp30 to an older amp which decodes it? Because otherwise I think SpiceWeasel is right.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Paulthefilmfan:Gerrard, Do you mean if you are running analogue cables from a hd audio dvd source liek a pana dmp30 to an older amp which decodes it? Because otherwise I think SpiceWeasel is right. That is what I meant - optical and coaxial are digital not analogue. Anyone??

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

From what I understand,

HD audio over an analogue 6 channel output is uncompressed but Dolby HD and DTS HD are compressed formats - I would think the uncompressed audio would give a 'fuller' sound - a bit like the vinyl vs. CD argument.

I haven't actually heard any HD audio as I have the 'wrong' source and amp at present. I remember a post before where the point was made (believe it was Andrew Everard but apologies if it wasn't).

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
True, but the HD audio over analogue is only uncompressed because the Blu-Ray player has decoded it. So if you have Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD signal on the Blu-Ray disc, the Blu-Ray player decodes (or uncompresses) it and sends it to the amp. With the signal bitstreamed over HDMI, it's the amp that decodes it. So either way, in theory, you're still getting the same sound.
However, I've found with the PS3, if I let the PS3 decode a standard Dolby Digital / DTS signal and send it as PCM via the HDMI cable, it doesn't sound as good as if I bitstream the same Dolby Digital / DTS signal via the HDMI and let the Onkyo amp decode it. In theory therefore, the same should be true of the HD audio formats as well. Of course, I can't test this as the PS3 doesn't let you bitstream HD signals via the HDMI port!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:True, but the HD audio over analogue is only uncompressed because the Blu-Ray player has decoded it. So if you have Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD signal on the Blu-Ray disc, the Blu-Ray player decodes (or uncompresses) it and sends it to the amp. With the signal bitstreamed over HDMI, it's the amp that decodes it. So either way, in theory, you're still getting the same sound.
However, I've found with the PS3, if I let the PS3 decode a standard Dolby Digital / DTS signal and send it as PCM via the HDMI cable, it doesn't sound as good as if I bitstream the same Dolby Digital / DTS signal via the HDMI and let the Onkyo amp decode it. In theory therefore, the same should be true of the HD audio formats as well. Of course, I can't test this as the PS3 doesn't let you bitstream HD signals via the HDMI port!
Or have any analogue connectivity!

A

Anonymous

I've just realised...That to get HD Audio over hdmi, I need to download the 2.8 firmware version for my Tosh HDXE1. But I have heard that it is not easy and that most computers can't burn the ISO File on to cd-r properly so that the player can read it.

A

Anonymous

Oh by the way...I have just found and downloaded the ISO File to cd-r and put it in my Tosh Player and it is working and updating. I used the 'Burn4Free' Download and it worked a treat.
Hope this helps anyone who was in the same boat!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts