blu ray from lovefilm

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
how clean are the discs you have rented from lovefilm as i have only just joined and the discs are

really dirty and none have been cleaned in my first three delivered. also why do they send
the bonus discs as a full rental, why dont they send both discs as one rental
and one film the blu ray of dark knight had to be sent back as it was unplayable
so any one else had problems with them.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
dvdaudio:

how clean are the discs you have rented from lovefilm as i have only just joined and the discs are

really dirty and none have been cleaned in my first three delivered. also why do they send
the bonus discs as a full rental, why dont they send both discs as one rental
and one film the blu ray of dark knight had to be sent back as it was unplayable
so any one else had problems with them.

I have had one issue so far - six months since joining - and they sent me a replacement as well as another BD. I think they offer a great service.

A

Anonymous

Never gone blue, but when I used to get HD DVDs from them they were always in really bad condition. So much so that I just gave up ordering HD from them and just stuck with standard DVD. Shame, cos they both would be really good services if they were in better condition.

A

Anonymous

I've been with lovefilm for about a year now, and when I upgraded to a Bluray player I was delighted that they do not charge extra for renting Bluray discs. I too got caught out with a bonus disk being sent as a full rental, but I complained and was instantly credited with the rental.

I've had a couple of unplayable discs but there has never been the slightest quibble from lovefilm about getting credited for these. I haven't had a faulty Blueray disc from them yet. A colleague had a disc go missing in the post and lovefilm just wrote it off with no argument. I'm sure they wouldn't be so accommodating if it happened a few times but that seems reasonable to me.

They get my recommendation as a fast and convenient service that is responsive to customer complaints and comments.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
I've been using Lovefilm for something like 4 years now. ÿI've had great experience with them. ÿI have the package where you have 3 discs at a time and whenever there's been an issue with a disc, I reported it on the website and they immediately ship out a replacement in addition to my 3 disc allocation meaning I've got 4 discs at home.

With regards to state of the discs... ÿWhen I used to get HD-DVDs they were always in a state, often heavily scratched, but I think this is reflected by the relative fragility of the format. ÿAny minute scratch could easily render the disc unplayable.

With Blu-rays I haven't yet noticed one with a scratch on it. ÿWhich I think can be directly attributed to the hard anti-scratch layer that BDs are manufactured with. ÿHowever, BDs do arrive with more finger prints than anything else, which I personally think is due to the fact that the majority of people who rent BDs play them on their PS3s with the slot-loader that has a bit of grip to it. ÿI find that thing makes it near impossible to grasp the disc correctly from the hole and outer edge. ÿIt's a minor annoyance but I can live with it. ÿLovefilm sent us out a bit over a year ago a cute "Don't watch dirty movies!" microfibre cloth with a picture of a naughty maid on it and a dust cover plastic case, so that just lives next to the BD deck.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
smithdom:
ÿA colleague had a disc go missing in the post and lovefilm just wrote it off with no argument. I'm sure they wouldn't be so accommodating if it happened a few times but that seems reasonable to me.

They get my recommendation as a fast and convenient service that is responsive to customer complaints and comments.

Hi Smithdom,

ÿ

I had a 2-month period about a year and a half ago where around 7 discs went missing and their service and response never changed. ÿWhen this happens you get a letter through the post from Royal Mail about a month later asking to verify that the package never arrived, just be sure to always sign this and send it back and you'll be fine.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

I've been subscribing to them for the last 3 years now, and 95% of their discs are clean....I have got the occassional scratched discs and once highlighted to them, they immediately send out another copy and a complimentary disc.

They are great.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I'm with Tesco DVD rental who are powered by lovefilm. I have had a few Bluay discs from them that have been quite dirty but if you clean them up they work fine. I think this would be the same for most rental companies. I would recommend cleaning all discs to prevent muck getting into the machine anyway. I've had a few over the last 3 years that have had problems playing but as others have said you let them know and they send out a replacement. I do think that they should check and clean discs before sending them out, but i can see that it would be expensive to do this and that cost would almost certainly be passed on to us.

I did once recieve a bonus disc before the actual movie which was annoying. I deselect the bonus disc now as I only want to see the film and see the bonus disc as a bit of a waste of a rental. Overall I think the service is very good and any problems are sorted promptly. The only gripe I have really is that they tended to send out the lower priority films before the newer ones. To get over this I deleted most of the selections and keep only about 15 on the list now instead of the 80 odd I used to have.

I found Tesco to be a bit cheaper than Lovefilm directly. I recommend them to my friends.

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I've been with them a couple of years. One film lost, lots of dirty discs but only one ever unplayable. I too was really impressed that they didn't try to charge a premium for blu-ray but I think they've sensibly seen it as a defence against online downloads.

I did find that the turnaround times meant it was hard to get value out of a monthly sub and i'd sometimes go some weeks without watching anything. The prepay/PAYG service works a lot better for me - £30 up front for 15 rentals within 6 months, 2 discs at a time (you lose any you don't use, they take another £30 for another 15 rentals if you run out). It is second class post on this so the turnaround is another day longer.

A

Anonymous

I use the PAYG scheme as well, but the entry level £9.99 (less since the VAT cut) for four movies. We can go weeks without watching a rental movie so this deal suits us perfectly. We just like to have a good fairly recent hi-def movie on hand for when we feel like a movie night, and even with 2nd class post we can return one on the Monday and have the replacement by the Friday.

To be honest I usually have a stack of movies recorded on my PVR, so we see the rentals as our occasional treat. The point is lovefilm probably has a deal to suit you. I really don't understand those who subscribe to Sky Movies, but each to their own.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
b33k34:
I've been with them a couple of years. One film lost, lots of dirty discs but only one ever unplayable. I too was really impressed that they didn't try to charge a premium for blu-ray but I think they've sensibly seen it as a defence against online downloads.

I did find that the turnaround times meant it was hard to get value out of a monthly sub and i'd sometimes go some weeks without watching anything. The prepay/PAYG service works a lot better for me - £30 up front for 15 rentals within 6 months, 2 discs at a time (you lose any you don't use, they take another £30 for another 15 rentals if you run out). It is second class post on this so the turnaround is another day longer.

I'm surprised you could go weeks without something to watch, as I find their turnround very fast.

It's down to the members how dirty the discs are, although I agree
that LoveFilm could give the discs a quick check before sending them
out!

So far as counting bonus discs as a separate rental, well,
they do have to make some money out of this. An article a few months
about them in one of the broadsheets said they still weren't making a
profit. They would seem to be waiting to reach a critical mass (as Amazon did, for years).

A

Anonymous

With Lovefilm for only a few months (since Jan.), I enjoy the fact that I can still watch lots of films while not having to shop around but more importantly not having to keep them, as if I'm honest we rarely watch movies more than once (exceptions have been Lost in Translation or Big Fish for instance...). I'm even thinking of upgrading to their sub-tenner Unlimited 1 package. I have had a few problems with dirty discs that would not play properly on several occasions. I've never complained about it though. More recently I had issue with "late dispatch" when it seems they didn't receive some discs I had posted back to them. I guess they postal service is not that reliable after all...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Been with them around about a year now, only hire Blu-Rays and had my first dirty disc issue the other day - a quick clean though and everything was fine, it was only fingerprints.

Use the £3.99 deal and get two discs every month which supplements my own collection and helps me decide on new purchases.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I have been with Lovefilm for years - before they changed their name in fact- and have been on the 3 discs at a time since the start. So far i haev received a handful of discs that pose a problem and only one that has been unplayable. For BD's I havent had any issues so far.

Regarding bonus discs you can expand all films in your queue and delete them from there. You used to be able to select the discs when ordering but is appears to have changed now.

Cant fault the service 10/10

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts