blu ray disc sound problems

mrbrjh

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Having just purchased on blu-ray Expendables 3 and decided to sit down and enjoy it. In the menu options for sound it has Dolby Atmos for the default option having only a 5.1 system and AVR that does not decode Dolby Atmos i pressed play and all through the film i had problems with lip sync, one minute it was ok next it was well out. I recently had an update for mr Sony AVR that was mainly to rectify a Dolby Digital playback issue . It is a similar issue to the problems i had with the new Total Recall but this was sorted by buying the Mastered In4K version. has anyone else got the same problem as me ? . PS i have all the latest Sony blu-ray,AVR,TV so all should be compatable.

The core of Dolby Atmos is Dolby TrueHD 7.1. So your AVR will automatically play it as Dolby TrueHD and adjust the number of speakers available accordingly. Have you tried lip sync settings on your AVR? Which one is it?

mrbrjh

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
i have a Sony str-dn1040 AVR , bdp-a6000 Blu-Ray player and kdl-46w905a TV , no problem with any other discs ( and i have hundreds)

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi there.

If all of your other discs are fine with your tv,amp and bluray combo, then I think the problem is with the Expendables 3 disc, I don't have this yet so I cannot personally comment, but there was a recent forum post started by someone else saying they had a problem the Expendables disc making a noise when spinning, weirdly enough that was with a Sony player as well, I have just looked at his post and the last thing he said was that he was returning the disc for another copy and would let us know what happened.

Hope this helps.

*music2*

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The sound setup menu in the latest Transformers bluray is the same as it only lists Dolby Atmos and other foreign language options, I don't have a compatible amp ( yet! *sad*), so I got Dolby True HD 7.1 displayed on my amp instead.

*music2*

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like the down mix is not working properly. It is also possible the authoring house didn't even QC it properly and with the technology being new no one know which bit of kit should be a reference.

If you know someone who has a 7.1 AVR different to yours and your BD player I would try the disc on that system to see if it's the same.

Something else you could try to see if it's a compatibility issue with your kit is let your player do the decoding by setting it to PCM instead of Bitstream. If the sync is still out then it is probably just an authoring error of the disc.