Blu-ray connecting to an older integrated with no HDMI input, Help/Question

bigman61

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
The Mrs bought me a Sony BDP-s3100 Blu-ray for Christmas. The sony has a HDMI and a digital out.

I have an old Arcam Alpha 10 integrated and power amp that I just use for 2 channel stereo, no surround sound.

There are no hdmi inputs or digital in on the Arcam.

I am currently running the Bluray hdmi output to the hdmi input of the TV, and then running the output of the tv audio to the Arcam via RCA cables.

Had a friend say that I should pick up a DAC (he recommended an Arcam DAC that runs about $250) , and route the audio signal directly to the Arcam.

Would this make the bluray sound better, or just lighten the wallet??

Thanks, from a newbie!!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
If I were you, I'd stick with what you've got.

Hopefully you have the ability to turn the TV speakers off within the menu somewhere, and if you're lucky, the outputs of the TV are variable meaning you can still use the TV remote to change volume.

What speakers are you using? You might find the money would be better served towards a subwoofer.

filmbuff58

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I also have a question related to older technology which I would really appreciate help with. Pleaae bear in mind my technical knowledge level is low!

I have been watching DVDs and listening to multi channel music from DVD Audio and SACD on a Denon DVD player. I would like to upgrade to a Bluray player but still want to listen to multi channel music on my existing DVD-A and SACD discs.

My question is simple and it is can I listen to my multichannel music with just an HDMI connection between the blu ray player and the av receiver rather than the analogue 5.1 connection I use currently?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi filmbuff58

Short answer is yes, the hdmi connection will carry 5.1 surround from your Dvd audio and Sacd's.

Only thing is when you are looking at blu-ray players, make sure it can handle both Dvd audio and Sacd as some budget machines only do Sacd, you pay have to pay more for Dvd audio playback.

Hope this helps.

Happy listening

TRENDING THREADS