admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I've managed to blow my second amp in around about two months because im a plonker and have been demanding too much from them.

The amps were made by completely different manufacturers - and having had the better one professionally repaired (at an outrageous expense such that I had an argument with the guy) I decided to take the knowledge that I had learnt from him (quick blow fuses were to blame on this occasion) to take apart my pervious amp to see if I could fix it.

I have found the three interior fuses (of a 3 pin design) and have the part numbers for them (i think)

Does anyone know of a suitable place where I could get replacement parts from?

Help much appreciated

J

A

Anonymous

Im sorry pal, but i strongly susspect you dont know what a fuse looks like. To advise you would be irresponcible of me. I think you should put the lid back on.

A

Anonymous

friendly1_uk:
Im sorry pal, but i strongly susspect you dont know what a fuse looks like. To advise you would be irresponcible of me. I think you should put the lid back on.

Well evidently he does know what a fuse looks like as he found them...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:friendly1_uk:

Well evidently he does know what a fuse looks like as he found them...

3pin fuse?

A

Anonymous

Ok, I'm 99% sure this thread is a wind up by our regular local wind up merchant... have you finished your TV "repairs" yet? Lack of specifics regarding amp model and circumstances etc. would seem to confirm this.

If, however, you are a genuine punter, then do as friendly says, before you say hello to 240 volts of unpleasantness.

A

Anonymous

Hey guys,

Thanks for getting back to me! I dont pretend to 100% know what I am doing, however I have taken apart computers before and have wired and fabricated a custom install for my car audio - so although not directly transferrable I do have some background knowledge and thusly have taken all the appropriate precautions.

The hifi in question is the Aiwa Xr-mn5 which was a pretty decent (albeit budget) system which I have had for a little while now - and due to finances being limited (not in the least due to the aforementioned occurance) I have been tempted to further my learning with my 'playing' if nothing else but would love to undo my prevoius mistake and get it working again, as opposed to replace the unit!

It may well be that I have not infact found fuses but some other component - a transistor has been suggested which on second thoughts could be correct. The reason for thinking that they were infact fuses was that the PCB symbol for the components was a rectangle with a line running through the entirety of the middle (lengthways).

I am going to try to run a few tests tomorrow so deduce which ones are not operational. I will also try to post pictures to better support my descriptions.

How do I work out the amp ammount of the 'fuses'? Will a multi meter test help me with that?

Regards

Jason

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
This could be interesting, let us know how you get on. If we don't hear back is there any particular address where you want the flowers sent to?
emotion-2.gif
. I always find that by leaving it plugged in and then bridging the gap where the fuse resides with my finger gives instant feedback on any particular problem in that area.

I let Andrew post the disclaimer and don't fully expect to see this posting an hour down the line
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

The symbol is a fuse, but as the symbol surgests, fuses generally have two connections not three.

How are you going to replace them? If there coming out then taking them along to maplin makes sence. Fuses do say what they are on them though, nobody is expected to guess.

if there conciddered a serviceable part then usually the 20mm long glass fuses are used. They mount in spring clips, just like thoes found in a plug.

just so there is no confusion here, you can still die due to electricution if its not plugged in. If you cant recognise a fuse for what it is, then put the lid back on. carefully. The internal fuses are very probably connected straight to the killer bits, which will be sat there just waiting to bite as blown fuses mean there is no discharge route till your finger enters the circuit.

Still want to play? thats your call. Your life is already at risk though.

A

Anonymous

i have a duty of care worth 15 years maximum if im involved with someones accidental death. You can kill him if you want to though. Its so unfair lol

like a quality street? :)

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Don't be such a spoil sport. A little bit of electricity never hurt anyone. Quite the opposite, it can be an enlightening experience.

Yes, a decent quantity of amps will cause your muscles to contract and then relax very rapidly resulting in some very embarassing results - trust me, my mate did it with a PC's PSU...it didn't cause him to pass out, but it caused him to pass stuff out if you get my drift...
emotion-5.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:drummerman:Don't be such a spoil sport. A little bit of electricity never hurt anyone. Quite the opposite, it can be an enlightening experience.

Yes, a decent quantity of amps will cause your muscles to contract and then relax very rapidly resulting in some very embarassing results - trust me, my mate did it with a PC's PSU...it didn't cause him to pass out, but it caused him to pass stuff out if you get my drift...
emotion-5.gif

front or back?
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:Hughes123:drummerman:Don't be such a spoil sport. A little bit of electricity never hurt anyone. Quite the opposite, it can be an enlightening experience.

emotion-5.gif

front or back?
emotion-2.gif

Back...
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:drummerman:Don't be such a spoil sport. A little bit of electricity never hurt anyone. Quite the opposite, it can be an enlightening experience.

emotion-5.gif

50 volts dc can cause 0.050amps to flow with the average adult skin resistance. That can kill in 5 seconds. Just 0.2amps hand to hand will clamp your heart so hard its unable to comply with anything but the mains frequency. 230v is ample to do this. Death in a fraction of a second is common.

60% of household electricutions involve the cooker. The other 40% are people fixing midi systems lol

A

Anonymous

best source for fuses i have found is Maplins. great selection, prices and they even have pics of all the different fuses too.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
friendly1_uk:Hughes123:drummerman:Don't be such a spoil sport. A little bit of electricity never hurt anyone. Quite the opposite, it can be an enlightening experience.

emotion-5.gif

50 volts dc can cause 0.050amps to flow with the average adult skin resistance. That can kill in 5 seconds. Just 0.2amps hand to hand will clamp your heart so hard its unable to comply with anything but the mains frequency. 230v is ample to do this. Death in a fraction of a second is common.

60% of household electricutions involve the cooker. The other 40% are people fixing midi systems lol

Who needs Nostradamus with you on the forum
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

are you saying im inaccurate? lol

its basic knowledge for a sparky pal. if we dont understand shock voltages, we cant design safe circuits. The same goes for working on them. I can't begin to get technical, but i hope the numbers go some way to convincing people. Lifes are worth to much to be lost messing about with stuff people dont understand, and can kill them. Its not just flying kites thats dangerous.

A

Anonymous

friendly1_uk:
are you saying im inaccurate? lol

its basic knowledge for a sparky pal. if we dont understand shock voltages, we cant design safe circuits. The same goes for working on them. I can't begin to get technical, but i hope the numbers go some way to convincing people. Lifes are worth to much to be lost messing about with stuff people dont understand, and can kill them. Its not just flying kites thats dangerous.

I think when you fix any electrical item you have to pay some respect, do your research and be cautious. The scariest thing I ever did was I walked into the lead of the TV when my parents were watching the TV upstairs (the plug socket was on the other side of the room) and the TV crashed onto the floor and some huge sparks came out of the scart socket!

A

Anonymous

Oh, and if you want to experience the true power of electricity, go camping on a D of E expedition when there's a huge thunderstorm...if lightning had struck anywhere in a 100m radius it would have killed many people as the electricity would pass through the ground and as everyone was lying down it would have stopped their hearts pretty instantly - that's why you crouch in a ball so the electricity passes straight through you with only the effect of a nasty burn.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts