Blond moment???

green hill

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I've bought a second hand vinyl set up piece by piece from ebay.

A Yamaha TT-300 turntable
Rotel RA8408X3 amplifier
A pair of Mission 760 monitors

I switched on and I have that common problem of the set-up not seeming to have much volume.
I can turn it up full and it gives me a plesent but low key level when you would expect it to be blasting out!

So, I thought does the amp have a phono sound stage? Well it's got a dedicated phono input but i know that some time this does not mean that is has the internals. The turntable has phono plug outputs and a ground wire which I've connected to the terminal on the amp.

I bought a little phono pre-amp (AV-link) and hooked it up and all I get now is a pulsing buzzing.

i've tried it with another amplifier which i know works, ive tried the speakers elsewhere so they're fine. I'm not sure if a cartrage change would make any diference but in turms of pick-up it seems to be fine.

What do i need to do to get this kit singing?? Any ideas.

:/

green hill said:
Hi,

I've bought a second hand vinyl set up piece by piece from ebay.

A Yamaha TT-300 turntableRotel RA8408X3 amplifierA pair of Mission 760 monitors

I switched on and I have that common problem of the set-up not seeming to have much volume.I can turn it up full and it gives me a plesent but low key level when you would expect it to be blasting out!

So, I thought does the amp have a phono sound stage? Well it's got a dedicated phono input but i know that some time this does not mean that is has the internals. The turntable has phono plug outputs and a ground wire which I've connected to the terminal on the amp.

I bought a little phono pre-amp (AV-link) and hooked it up and all I get now is a pulsing buzzing.

i've tried it with another amplifier which i know works, ive tried the speakers elsewhere so they're fine. I'm not sure if a cartrage change would make any diference but in turms of pick-up it seems to be fine.

What do i need to do to get this kit singing?? Any ideas.

:/

Welcome to the forum. Your amp does have a phono preamp. What cartridge do you have and how do you connect the phono preamp you bought to the amp?

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi

You say you bought it piece-by-piece so I am assuming the TT and amp didn't come from the same seller.

Can you say what cartridge is fitted? It needs to be a MM (moving magnet) type to connect directly to the Rotel (I'm fairly sure) but it could be that it has a low output, especially if it's a MC (moving coil) cartridge.

The AV link is a pretty poor example of a phonograph preamp, and is pretty much bound to be at £13, but it should work if connected correctly. How is it wired up? NOTE:- when using this you need to connect to a line level input on the back of the amp (AUX?), and not those phono inputs you use when connecting turntable directly.

NOTE 2 :- The amp also has a MM / MC switch next to the phono inputs. Make sure this is in the correct position to suit your type of cartridge. If it has the original cartridge it is a MM type and may very well need replacing.

Still need to know what that cartridge is. Also have you tried the amp with any other source?, a CD player for example.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts