black the new silver?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Can I confuse things now by saying that we've noticed a recent shift from gloss black to satin black
emotion-4.gif

[/quote]

At last; back to what we know!

southdownswolf

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
my equipment is hidden away in cupboards, controlled by ir senders. Couldn't care less what colour it is!

however, the Panasonic Plasma is black, attracts dust around the frame, but none on the screen.....

A

Anonymous

I think the Kandy in Black looks pretty mean...

http://www.superfi.co.uk/images/Kandy-pair-black-1200.jpg

jules.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jules153"]I think the Kandy in Black looks pretty mean...

http://www.superfi.co.uk/images/Kandy-pair-black-1200.jpg

jules.
[/quote]Wow, never seen it in Black. (Maybe not available in North America?). That's hugely more attractive, I want.

A

Anonymous

I think it depends on what colour the display is! I certainly wouldn't touch a black Arcam - green display on black? Yuk!

That's why I think Naim equipment looks a little tacky. But who cares when it sounds so good!

Anyway, the biggest dilema is speaker colour. I can NEVER choose. Beech, ash, bird's eye maple...decisions, decisions! I'll just buy those Neat's in red!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]Naim equipment looks a little tacky[/quote]You kiss your mother with that mouth??!?!?!

A

Anonymous

i'm with u on the naim look. i think they look cheap! (sorry naim lovers). if i spend my lots of cash i want something less 'toys R us'. Hell i spend enough time looking at my hifi whilst listening so i dont want to have to brown paper bag it so to speak! It does sounds great though lol. RE speaker colour? walnut's my thing at the mo

A

Anonymous

I agree JAXON5, I do quite like the Walnut look...dark wood is my thing...and what colours did superfi have the Evo2 30s in? Only maple!

I think hi-fi rooms should be and the equipment should blend in - but I just don't think alot of products look good in black. Oh and matt over gloss anyday! Apart from photo prints...

A

Anonymous

tractorboy:Silver is the new silver.

So, last spring, with uncanny prescience, I noted that silver was the new silver. Fashion is a fickle thing, however. I was sniffing around one of my local Richer Sounds last week with a view to checking out the cut price 740 combo - £300 in silver, but still £500 in black. According to the guy in the shop, they've been clearing out all the silver models as they have proved much less popular than their black counterparts. (Incidentally, there were none in stock, and I got the distinct impression that they were long, long gone; perhaps RS needs to update its website?)

So, if silver is yesterday's news, what is the new silver this year?

A

Anonymous

I hate black, particularly with brushed metal faceplates. Looks nasty.

matthewpiano

My Denon kit is pretty retro looking and so looks fantastic in the 'Premium Silver' that I opted for. Don't like it in black.

My previous kit (CA 740A/740C) was black though because I think the silver looks cheap on the CA stuff.

I hate piano black on TVs which is why I've got a KDL32S2510 in silver/grey. My favourite finish for a TV was the brushed grey steel look on the KDL40W3000. They should never have replaced that with the piano black finish!

Hendy00

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Black. The Marantz PM7001Ki in Black with the BRUSHED METAL FACEPLATE and Gold writing. Absolutely Beautiful.

'Once You Go Black, You'll Never Go back'

A

Anonymous

Most definatley without a shadow of a doubt BLACK!

It never looks cheap or dated like most silver stuff (I'm thinking the Cyrus stuff finished in that nasty metalic silver- looks and feels like it came out a can from Halfords).

Check out Pioneer and Rotels new AV kit for instance (and Krell). Black with the blue LED's. Or B&W's new CM series speakers in gloss piano black. All absolutley stunning!

No other colour's ever gonna be "the new black" because it's just not erm, black... obviously. lol

A

Anonymous

Hendy00:Black. The Marantz PM7001Ki in Black with the BRUSHED METAL FACEPLATE and Gold writing. Absolutely Beautiful. 'Once You Go Black, You'll Never Go back'

It might look good in the daytime, but at night black boxes can look a bit brutal in a small room.

How about... copper? https://www.themacgroup.ca/store/photos/1197.jpeg

A

Anonymous

that looks like a thing i have in the kitchen for cooking sausages on. i paint everything green.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
richardjlarby:Im waiting for a silver PS3.

Me too! I don't know what the delay is!

I waited ages before buying a PS2 as I wanted a silver one.

A

Anonymous

Why are there no silver PS3's in the UK? This place is awash with them (Singapore).

As for colour, meh to both black and silver, I went for gloss white ADM9s
emotion-11.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
thfcwestlower:
Why are there no silver PS3's in the UK? This place is awash with them (Singapore).

emotion-11.gif

I thought about gloss white but only if I could find good looking white stands. The only thing with black is the dust! Are you using a sub with yours and how are you getting on with them?

A

Anonymous

Its a well acknowldged fact in the Cyrus community that black sounds better than silver!

John Duncan

drummerman:thfcwestlower:

emotion-11.gif

I thought about gloss white but only if I could find good looking white stands. The only thing with black is the dust! Are you using a sub with yours and how are you getting on with them?

My gloss black Neutron Vs are gorgeous..........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts