bitstream HD codecs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can an older PS3 (fat version) bitstream HD codecs?

I have an older PS3 (fat version). I was pleased to see the recent firmware update that enabled bitstreaming of audio as thought this would negate buying a blu ray player for a while longer (the Acram BDP-100 looking like it let me down!). However, while the bitstream now works, i can not get any of the HD codecs (TrueHD or DTS HD), only normal Dolby Digital comes through at best. I know the codec is use by whats lights up on the amp screen, and also can tell the huge difference when switch back to PCM!

Kit is PS3 (fat) > HMDI cable > Yamaha Z7

Thanks

A

Anonymous

As far as I knew, the Old PHAT cant bitstream audio, I would have thought it was a hardware thing not a update thing.

But I have not looked at my PS3 for a few weeks.

But if it can bitstream, you would not need any 3rd party codecs to do so.

A

Anonymous

In PS3 (fat) you set the BD/DVD audio output format (HDMI) to be LPCM. I suggest u would use this setting for the slim also, to ensure u can hear the secondary and effect soundtracks.

The PS3 then decodes the TrueHD or DTS HD into uncompressed LCPM using the appropriate lossless algorithm. You get the multichannel light instead of DTS/Dolby HD on ur amp but it is playing the absolute best quality lossless sound.

The conversion of truehd or dtshd is a relatively trivial decoding process (using a published algorithm) and as such makes no difference if the player or amp does it, as u have to convert to LPCM at some point before the signal is sent to the DAC.

You may hear a difference between LPCM and bitstream on certain amps caused by a slight difference in the LFE level, and/or any post processing ur amp may be performing. It is important that u have your amp on the correct settings for - multich. in order for the LPCM to sound as intended.

A

Anonymous

So it has not changed then,

I can hear a clear difference though with dvd's

If I let my PS3 do the encoding, its sounds ok, bit if I let my amp do it, it seems more alive.

I think amps decode better than the PS3. But thats just my ears

A

Anonymous

there is a difference between bitstream and lpcm with dvds.

Thats because dvd audio uses a lossy codec, and u want ur amp to perform some sort of sound processing on it - so it has to be in bitstream format. If the PS3 decodes a lossy codec into PCM, then the amps processing for that codec may not work correctly due to data having been lost in the conversion. AV manufactures spend a lot of money tuning the way lossy codecs are handled.

Reproducing or at least approximating the original signal from a lossy codec is expensive in terms of processing cycles, and unlike the lossless codecs results are not always equal each time.

A

Anonymous

I cant say the same about HD audio as I bought the Sony bdp-370 and the audio compaired to the PS3 was night and day.

I am not sure if it was the bitstream aspect of it, or just the new blu-ray player.

I would say buy a 370, you will see and hear a difference, I did

A

Anonymous

I hear no difference in sound quality between my PS3 (LPCM) and blu-ray player. The sound quality is exceptional on both.

The motion is a lot smoother on my blu-ray - occasionally the PS3 seems to stutter with panning shots - but then I'd expect that, the blu-ray cost a lot more.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for comments.

Part of this is wishing to see amp display the right codec (silly i know, but there you go). I brought a Sony 570 this morning, mainly to see more bitstream options, but also a better picture, assumption being blu ray tech has moved on a bit from when i brought my PS3 (4 -5 years ago i think).

TechMad (or others) - am i right in thinking though that the older PS3 won't bitstream HD codecs?

Canada16 - The older PS3 does bitstream now with the update. Get get a choice of that or PCM, its just that bit stream does not seem to support HD Codec's (not sure why though)

A

Anonymous

After the update:-

PS3 slim can bitstream both the HD codecs - before the update it could only bitstream dolby truehd.

The fat will only output dolby digital/DTS if u have it set to bitstream with HD codecs. So u have to set it LPCM to get the lossless versions, and ur amp will just show mulitchannel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts